Is there an UN TEATHERED JB option for a 3GS and 3.1.2???

kingcodez

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I know there's blackrain, but is that the ONLY option for 3.1.2?

I'm going to buy a used iphone 3GS next month, and I'd like to not have to tether when I reboot the phone. I need to JB and Unlock.

New 3GS' need a JB, but the OLD 3GS' with an old boot rom don't need to tether to reboot?

What is the main benefits of 3.1.2 compared to 3.0? I have 3.0 on my 3G now and its fine.

When im buying a new phone, how can I tell wether it has the new bootrom or the old one?
Can I go to Settings>General> then what?

Greenchunks

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I know there's blackrain, but is that the ONLY option for 3.1.2?

I'm going to buy a used iphone 3GS next month, and I'd like to not have to tether when I reboot the phone. I need to JB and Unlock.

New 3GS' need a JB, but the OLD 3GS' with an old boot rom don't need to tether to reboot?

What is the main benefits of 3.1.2 compared to 3.0? I have 3.0 on my 3G now and its fine.

When im buying a new phone, how can I tell wether it has the new bootrom or the old one?
Can I go to Settings>General> then what?

1. Pwnage tool will also work with 3.1.2, but I believe blackra1n is much simpler (I used blackra1n, so I am not sure about pwnage tool)
2. You are correct about the tethering for Old vs. New. The general rule of thumb is look at the 4th and 5th number on the serial, if it is 40 or higher, it will likely need to be tethered, but a few people have gotten lucky, don't plan on being one of those.
3. 3.1.2 has a number of fixes in it look at apples website or any number of sources to see what things it fixed/improved.
4. Settings>General>About>Serial Number

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Remember, the serial number is only an educated guess, you cannot figure out the bootloader version without connecting it to a computer in recovery mode ...or...having it already jailbroken.

jrdave2304

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I just got my 3GS from Best Buy on Saturday and got lucky enough to get the old bootrom. I have done a lot of searching around as far as the many jailbreaking tools and it looks like blackra1n is the only option I found. This has a good run down of what PwnageTool 3.1.4 works with: www DOT appsafari DOT com/software/10036/pwnagetool-314/

kingcodez

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Ohh I see so I don't need a tether if I use ultrasnow then.
Ultrasnow is pretty simple as it is, it dosen't seem worth it to use black rain.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Redsn0w and blackra1n are for jailbreaking on windows/mac.

PwnageTool is for jailbreaking on mac only.

Ultrasn0w/blacksn0w are used for unlocking on 3G/3G. yellowsn0w and BootNeuter are used for unlocking the iPhone 2G.

Bottom line? If you have a new 3G, that uses a tethered jailbreak, there's nothingthat you can do right now. Geohot has already stated that he's waiting for 3.2 before he releases that expoit/jailbreak.

jrdave2304

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Redsn0w and blackra1n are for jailbreaking on windows/mac.

PwnageTool is for jailbreaking on mac only.

Ultrasn0w/blacksn0w are used for unlocking on 3G/3G. yellowsn0w and BootNeuter are used for unlocking the iPhone 2G.

Bottom line? If you have a new 3G, that uses a tethered jailbreak, there's nothingthat you can do right now. Geohot has already stated that he's waiting for 3.2 before he releases that expoit/jailbreak.

This. I think there needs to be a "sticky" topic listing what each jailbreak program can do (i.e., which phone it works on, which OS, tethered/unthethered, etc.). I've only been here a few days and I see the same questions asked over and over... not taking a shot at the creator of this topic :)

maxxell

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Remember, the serial number is only an educated guess, you cannot figure out the bootloader version without connecting it to a computer in recovery mode ...or...having it already jailbroken.

Can you elaborate on that first process with recovery mode? I have a relatively new 3GS and want to jailbreak, but not if I have to tether to reboot the iPhone. I want to know in advance whether that will happen, can you find out BEFORE going through the jailbreak process?

kingcodez

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah my bad I meant to say I'd use Pwnage tool to JB not ultrasnow, I know Ultra is for unlocking. I just forgot.

PWNage tool is pretty simple to use, if it dosen't work try it again.
I was overwhelmed the first time I did this stuff but it gets easier.

Ray661

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
pwnage tool still has the tethered reboot problem. My question is, how exactly do you do a tethered boot? I managed to do it a few times, but it takes like 20 tries to do it. so how exactly do you do it?

Le Monit

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Right now, if you have a bootrom in version 359.3.2 you can only do a tethered Jailbreak.
You'll need to use Blackra1n to boot your iPhone (There are no other option right now)

Greenchunks

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
pwnage tool still has the tethered reboot problem. My question is, how exactly do you do a tethered boot? I managed to do it a few times, but it takes like 20 tries to do it. so how exactly do you do it?
Here is what I did. My phone had reset itself (because I reset the network settings) and it was at the connect to itunes screen. I went home, made sure itunes and all other apple/ipod/iphone related apps were closed on my computer. Plugged in the iPhone. Ran blackrain.exe (in administrator mode) it went through and did it's things, phones restarted, geohot appeared, then all was good and phone was turned on and jailbroken and everything was there. Basically same thing I did to jailbreak it in the first place. I didn't remove the sim card or anything either.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So you used pwnage tool and ultrasnow for newer 3gs with 3.1.2 made past the 40 week production:confused: ?

stock doesn't match production time.

get 5 phones, sell the newest 4. get 5 more phones, put them in front of the last one, repeat.

OR

do inventory and locate phone hidden behind a tv in the stock room. put on floor and sell

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative