Hi guys,

I''m New to the iphone scene . I'm a blackberry master who's just recently switched after 4 years (and 4 blackberries). So I recently got 2 iphones one 3G and one 3Gs and I also have an ipod touch 2g . I jailbroke the 3G (brand new so I have no clue how it ran before) How ever I have come to notice that the jailbroken phone is EASILY working 10-15% slower than both the touch and the 3Gs . My friend who has had the 3G for a year use to have all kinds of problems till he upgraded his software and he blames it all on the jailbreak, use to crash his phone and make it choppy! I wanna know if this is because of the jailbreak or because i've read that the itouch and 3gs both have faster processors . I have 10 days to bring it back

thanks
    12-11-2009 01:12 AM
    I have a 3g myself, I had it jailbroken before 3.0 came out.... and boy was it slow, not to mention, it would crash alot.
    When the 3.0 came out, I upgraded to it, lost my jailbreak, but, the difference in performance was completely worth it.
    Now, I've been running my 3g with apple update, and its much smoother, and faster...never looked back again, I don't even miss it.
    12-11-2009 02:26 AM
    The 3G will run much slower than the 3GS even if the 3G is not jailbroken and the 3GS is...remember the S designates Speed.
    12-11-2009 06:06 AM
    simple jailbreak wont slow it. certain apps will. winterboard is big culprit when it comes to slow stuff down.
    12-11-2009 06:06 AM
    If you're testing it for performance, you need to do it on the 3G[s], where you won't notice ANY difference. Don't test it on the 3G. It will be atrocious.

However, the NEW 3G[s] will most likely e a tethered jailbreak. Search the forums for answers on that.
    12-11-2009 08:16 AM
    The 3g is just slow period. Especially compared to the 3gs and mytouch.
    12-11-2009 09:03 AM
    Jailbreak will not slow it down like someone said it's how the user uses the phone, what JB apps, customization they do. I've had my 3G JB since I've owned it. I've used it side by side with my friends vanilla 3G opening apps to see the time lag and we've switched phones for a day so we could each experience the green grass on the other side. The vanilla iPhone worked just the same there was no noticable differnce when I had it and my friend said the same when he handed my phone back. I've had an iPhone since they first came out and I've had them JB since I've owned them so blaming crashing, etc on the JB itself is bogus. I've had problems but nothing I couldn't figure out, nothing that frustrated me. If you JB you have to accept the responsibility that there are cons just as there are pros and if you can't deal with whatever trouble comes from apps you might use then don't JB. I do have my phone very customized as in custom boot logo, Winterboard theme, Makeitmine custom carrier but apart from that I use a very small amount of JB apps just what I need. There was definately a slowdown when I was using lockcal so I disabled it and removed it. So to summarize the JB will not slow it down what you do to the phone has the possibility of slowing it down.
    12-11-2009 09:44 AM
    Thanks for all the replies guys they have really been helpful . After thinking about I think I'm gonna exchange my 3g for 3 gs . I'm a power user and it's pretty clear jailbreak or not spending the 100$ extra for the 3gs seems worth it .
    12-11-2009 11:10 AM
    Well then I would recommend that you get a refurbished 3G[s]. The new 3G[s] models come with a new bootrom which make it a tethered jailbreak only. That means that eery time you restart your phone, turn it off, or run out of battery power, you'll have to REJAILBREAK the new 3G[s] models with blackra1n.

It can become a pain in the ***. Just want to let you know.
    12-11-2009 11:19 AM
    I have a newer model 3gs, i know this because i've had to experience the re-jailbreak in the last couple of weeks that i have had mine. It can be a pain in the ***, believe me but after having jailbroken (even if it is only tethered), I wouldn't look back. Just hope the DEVS bring out a solution soon.
    12-15-2009 06:28 AM
    Definately get a refurb 3GS so you won't have to rejailbreak everytime you power your phone down.
    12-15-2009 01:04 PM
    Jailbreak will not slow it down like someone said it's how the user uses the phone, what JB apps, customization they do. I've had my 3G JB since I've owned it. I've used it side by side with my friends vanilla 3G opening apps to see the time lag and we've switched phones for a day so we could each experience the green grass on the other side. The vanilla iPhone worked just the same there was no noticable differnce when I had it and my friend said the same when he handed my phone back. I've had an iPhone since they first came out and I've had them JB since I've owned them so blaming crashing, etc on the JB itself is bogus. I've had problems but nothing I couldn't figure out, nothing that frustrated me. If you JB you have to accept the responsibility that there are cons just as there are pros and if you can't deal with whatever trouble comes from apps you might use then don't JB. I do have my phone very customized as in custom boot logo, Winterboard theme, Makeitmine custom carrier but apart from that I use a very small amount of JB apps just what I need. There was definately a slowdown when I was using lockcal so I disabled it and removed it. So to summarize the JB will not slow it down what you do to the phone has the possibility of slowing it down.
    quoted for truth.
    __

some would say that Winterboard is a major culprit.
    i put that to the test and there wasn't that much of a difference, for me anyways.
    12-15-2009 03:05 PM
    quoted for truth.
    __

some would say that Winterboard is a major culprit.
    i put that to the test and there wasn't that much of a difference, for me anyways.
    I think what is meant by that is Winterboard enables you to load up themes and all kinds of other things which will in turn slow down your phone. Running winterboard and a simple theme wont be a change, but having winterboard and all kinds of elaborate themes and other things running over it will likely slow down the phone
    12-15-2009 03:15 PM
    I use winterboard, sbsettings, backrounder, and kirkae and have not noticed any hinder in performance.
    12-15-2009 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD