I Think I Messed Up, Now I Need To Kno Where To Go From Here!

PureItaliano

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Basically, i just bought an iPhone 3Gs from and it was 3.1.2 (7D11) and the other thing was 5.11.? (cant remember cause my phone wont turn on at all) and i wanted to try jailbreaking my phone. After searching the internet, i found this thing called Blackra1n, and apparently it worked on my fone... so i tried it out, i made it rain, then my fone showed a splash screen of some guys face and some cards... all of a sudden, iTunes opened up, then i got the message saying, once ur fone reboots, it will be jailbroken, then only problem is, my iPhone was actually stuck on that screen with the guy... so i waited like 15 minutes, then unplugged my fone from my computer, and then did a hard reset and now my iphone wont turn on at all... its just a dead phone... i tried everything from holding in every possible combination of buttons, pluggin it into my wall, nd even taking out the sim card... nothing works, and itunes doesnt detect it at all...

my questions are:

1. IS MY IPHONE BRICKED?

2. IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN RESTORE IT, EVEN THOUGH ITUNES WONT DETECT IT, AND IT WONT TURN ON WHATSOEVER?

3. I HAVE WARRANTY ON THIS PHONE, IF I SEND IT IN, WILL THEY FIND OUT I TRIED TO JAILBREAK IT, AND VOID MY WARRANTY?

ALL HELP IS MUCH APPRECIATED, IM NEW TO THIS IPHONE BUISNESS, AND THE ONLY REASON I TRIED JAILBREAKING MY IPHONE IS BECAUSE IVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN HACKING PSPs SO I FIGURED IT WOULDNT BE HARD..

Sorry for the novel guys, thanks again in advance

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
depending on when you purchased your 3GS, you may not be able to JB...yet. certain newer units have been locked prior to shipping to the stores. someone smarter than me can tell you if your model is locked or not. i seem to have forgotten how to determine that. sorry.

but in answer to your questions,
1. highly unlikely
2. put iphone in DFU mode: connect to PC. hold power+home button until apple appears then release. PC should detect iphone and ask you to restore. to which you say yes. (hopefully you backed up your iphone prior to attempting to JB.)
3. if you take a JB phone to apple, yes they'll void your warranty. but apple will never know it was JB if you do a full restore before taking into apple.
4. please turn off your caps. :/

PureItaliano

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i cant put my fone in DFU mode... if i hold in the home and power buttons nothing happens
its like my fone is litterally dead...
thats why i think its bricked, cause it litterally cant do anything

PureItaliano

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
lets say it is bricked, and i send it to Apple, will they know its bricked? and will they kno i tried to tamper with it? or will they think its just messed and wont turn on?

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
did you try connecting to your pc and then holding combinations of buttons? i would say try putting it on like a wall charger or a dock, and seeing if it starts up because its charging..

otherwise thats a nice brickthing you got there. try plugging in and jailbreaking again :p wouldnt hurt to see if it would overwrite the corrupted data because you unplugged too early.:cool:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
This is going to sound RIDICULOUS - but hear me out.

As a last resort - leave your iPhone on top of your refrigerator overnight. I've heard that some refrigerators emit low level ions that actually stimulate lithium ion batteries, which happens to be what powers the iPhone.

I can't guarantee that it will work, but at this point, what do you have to lose?

Give it at least 10 hours.

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
This is going to sound RIDICULOUS - but hear me out.

As a last resort - leave your iPhone on top of your refrigerator overnight. I've heard that some refrigerators emit low level ions that actually stimulate lithium ion batteries, which happens to be what powers the iPhone.

I can't guarantee that it will work, but at this point, what do you have to lose?

Give it at least 10 hours.

that does sound really ridiculous.
good luck

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I thought the same thing, but a CPU tech friend of me told me to try this, and it revived my laptop battery from complete death. I haven't had to use this since then, but the fact that it even worked once for me blew me away.

I've just learned that sometimes, crazy sh*t just happens to work. *chuckle*

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
That's okay. There's a truck for an Xbox 360 when it completely breaks down and gets the "Red Rings of Death". They tell younto wrap the 360
up in about 3-4 towels, turn it on, and walk away for 20-30 minutes. Turn it off, unwrap it, then turn it back on again, and the game system should work just fine. Once again, it worked for me, so I just accept that sometimes crazy sh*t "just works".

PureItaliano

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
lol its not my battery that is dead tho =P
my ipod is dysfunctional, i just bought it two weeks ago...
it wont power on,
it wont go into DFU, or recovery mode or anything,
iTunes wont detect it...
its completely messed up...

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
That's okay. There's a truck for an Xbox 360 when it completely breaks down and gets the "Red Rings of Death". They tell younto wrap the 360
up in about 3-4 towels, turn it on, and walk away for 20-30 minutes. Turn it off, unwrap it, then turn it back on again, and the game system should work just fine. Once again, it worked for me, so I just accept that sometimes crazy sh*t "just works".

i actually did one that was to wrap it in aluminum foil, then a wet towel, and put it in your freezer for an hour.

my 360 has never had red rings since...

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Okay, progress!

So now we know that you have a NEW iPod, 3rd generation. Which requires a tethered jailbreak.

Have you tried connecting it to your computer, and running blackra1n again even though it's possible that your computer doesn't recognize it?

I'm thinking it may be an issue with the tethered jailbreak... but there's no way to tell if it doesn't even give you the message to connect your iPod to iTunes...

HAVOKID

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Send it to Apple, who knows maybe they won't find what you did and can't solve the problem and give you a new iPhone. Worse case scenario, they send it back to you.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Or you could Just schedule an appointment with your local apple store 'genius bar' and see if they would be able to fix it. Just lie and tell them that you have no idea what the hell happened. The battery died and it never went back on. Tell them you read about iPods going into "coma mode" and that you've got a useless, expensive paperweight, and see what thEy can do for you.

because at this point, it seems as if this may be a hardware problem. :(

subgenious#IM

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
What about using pwnage tool to do your jailbreak instead of blackra1n? I just got a new 3GS and the jailbreak went flawlessly without any of the tethering nonsense that you have to deal with using blackra1n. Granted you need a Mac to do this, but surely a buddy can let you use theirs if you don't own one yourself.

The more I hear about blackra1n problems the happier I am that I stayed away from it. Pwnage tool does take a LITTLE (but still not much) brainpower to use, but the results speak for themselves.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK I'm a little confused you say it wont power on but then in some you say it wont go into DFU mode and it's dysfunctional which to me would suggest that it can power on it just doesn't do anything after that??? It is VERY, VERY, VERY hard to brick a 3G and 3Gs I don't think I've ever even heard of one. So I highly doubt it's bricked, the fact that you bought it used may suggest that it does have a hardware problem. So here's my suggestions and my questions. I had my JB phone and I took it to an Apple store to have it replaced because of dust in the screen. The genius knew it was JB so she gave it to me and said we can't do anything with it and then whispered take it home resotre it as new and bring it back. A Jailbreak is a software break and can be undone so in the case that you sent it in to Apple if they were able to power it up and found out that it is JB they will not confiscat it they will send it back to you. At that point you could just restore it as new and if there is a hardware problem return it again. If there is a hardware problem they probably wont be able to power it on and will just replace it.

So can it power on? yes or no
If it can't do you have it plugged in to a wall charger?
If it can power on then try this to put it into DFU mode turn the phone off connect the USB and open iTunes once iTunes opens right away hold the Home button down and wait until you see the USB cable to globe picture and then let go. You may have to try a few times I've had to try three or four times with my own phone for some reason don't know if it was the home button or what.

If it will not power on then either go in to an Apple store or send it in to Apple.