Basically I'm on holiday in USA now.

I want to buy an iphone here without monthly contract, because everything is so cheap in this country

I will then come back to England. Can I jailbreak my iphone so that I can use it in UK?

The UK phone operator is called O2. I'm planning to put my O2 sim card into the iphone.

Will this work?
    If not, what options do I have?
    12-06-2009 05:05 AM
    Yes, it will work. Use blackra1n to jailbreak then blacksn0w to unlock. blackra1n.com
    12-06-2009 08:09 AM
    Quick answer is "No". Sorry.

You can buy one here but NOT without a contract. You could pay the ETF. Then Jailbrake. Then you would have to Unlock the phone to work on O2 network.

It just depends on whether paying the ETF is here is still cheaper than buying the phone there.

EDIT: Clarification! You can not buy an iPhone at the subsidized cheap price without a contract. You can buy one without a contract but it will be VERY expensive compared to the subsidized price!
    Last edited by Brickman; 12-06-2009 at 08:13 AM.
    12-06-2009 08:09 AM
    Quick answer is "No". Sorry.

You can buy one here but NOT without a contract. You could pay the ETF. Then Jailbrake. Then you would have to Unlock the phone to work on O2 network.

It just depends on whether paying the ETF is here is still cheaper than buying the phone there.
    You can play full price for the phone($600) and not sign a contract. The $200/$300 are for 2 year contracts.
    12-06-2009 08:10 AM
    You can play full price for the phone($600) and not sign a contract. The $200/$300 are for 2 year contracts.
    Sorry. I did just edit. I assumed the cheaper price they were referring to was the price with a contract.
    12-06-2009 08:16 AM
    Don't forget also, that buying an iPhone now you run the risk of the newest firmware that would forever leave you having to do a tethered jailbreak. I'm not sure why people think iPhones are so cheap in the US - even with the exchange rate.
    12-06-2009 10:13 AM
    Formerly jail broken, iPhone users are clever to download many extensions and themes previously unavailable throughout the App Store via unofficial installers such as Cydia.
    SIM Card for United Kingdom
    09-24-2012 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD