So I recently jailbroke my phone, and I was curious about backing up and restoring the phone to its original state should that be necessary.

1. When I back up/sync my phone in itunes, does it also backup and save the apps that have been downloaded through cydia and the settings that are on the jailbroken phone?
    1a. When I restore from a saved backup that was made while the phone was jailbroken, what parts will be restored?

2. If I reset factory settings (return back to normal for some reason) and then restore the phone from a backup that was made while the phone was jailbroken, will that work?

(the different between 1a and 2 is that in 2 the phone is being completely reset, DFU or otherwise, 1a is just updating from a backup)

Thank you.
    11-30-2009 12:23 AM
    So I've been doing my own research on this in the meantime and I seem to have discovered that Rock will backup your JB apps and they can be restored from there, and there are other apps that will backup your JB apps.

So if someone could please confirm or correct me in these potential answers to my questions that would be great.

1. When I backup my phone via itunes, it only backs up the Appstore apps (plus potentially a contact which stores some JB app info).
    1a. If I restore from that backup it will only restore the appstore apps.

2. Restoring from that backup will work, but it will not restore the JB apps. I would have to re-jailbreak, install Rock, log in, and then restore my JB apps from there (or use whatever app I have installed to back up the other JB apps)

Are those answers correct?
    Last edited by Greenchunks; 11-30-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    11-30-2009 01:23 PM
    Your answers are correct , Itunes can only back up Itunes apps .

And if you restore all you JB APPs will be gone , but there are apps in cydia that will back your phone up .

And just an FYI watch the double post , use the edit tool .
    11-30-2009 02:08 PM
    Your answers are correct , Itunes can only back up Itunes apps .

And if you restore all you JB APPs will be gone , but there are apps in cydia that will back your phone up .

And just an FYI watch the double post , use the edit tool .
    I did use the edit tool on my second post. You will notice it says 'edited....' at the bottom. There was no double post, I just made a response to my own original post. I'm sorry if that is poor forum etiquette, I didn't think it was a big deal....

Oh and thanks for the confirmation of my answers btw.
    11-30-2009 04:56 PM
    Your posts were about an hour apart, I don't see it that as double posting, I think it's fine, but I guess that's not how everyone sees it.

As BENGRIMM said, you found the correct answers.
    11-30-2009 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD