First off, I am sorry if this has been discussed before.

I just recently installed Winterboard for the first time on my 3GS with the BUUF2 theme. I absolutely love the theme but I think it may be draining my
    battery faster than normal.

Is this the case with most Winterboard users?

It could very well be all in my head but I wanted to know what everyone else thought about winterboard.

Thanks!
    11-23-2009 12:26 PM
    This might help. Do you have a SBSettings toggle that has processes? Ipod,phone,mail have backgrounding built into them. You can turn these off if you want to. Helps out on battery life. And get the app backgrounder that puts a tiny little icon on what programs are staying open and lets you keep programs like cydia and safari from closing.

As for the winterboard, I'm not entirely sure if it does drain the battery. I've seen Winterboard statements that say its minimal.

Do you respring your springboard or reboot your phone from tiem to time?

Also the SBSettings toggle lets you free memory also.
    11-23-2009 12:41 PM
    I have noticed the more complex your theme or if your running something on your lock screen that tends to drain it faster , I have never seen or used the OP theme.
    11-23-2009 01:14 PM
    Mustanglife:

I do have SBSettings installed and I monitor the "open" apps constantly. I just downloaded Backgrounder with Kirikae (task switcher) and at the moment I am not running anything extra in the background.
    I think I am actually obsessive about monitoring open programs and memory management. Once I see my memory drop around 120mb, I "free memory" to bring me back above 150mb free.

BennGrimm: I will try to disable the themed lockscreen since its nothing special and revert back to basic lockscreen. I will see if that helps.
    11-23-2009 01:35 PM
    I have noticed a little more drain especially if you are using some of the jb apps. I have a 3g and never have more than 50 for my free memory. Is the 100-150 just for 3gs?
    11-23-2009 03:22 PM
    I have noticed a little more drain especially if you are using some of the jb apps. I have a 3g and never have more than 50 for my free memory. Is the 100-150 just for 3gs?
    Yeh, 3gs got double memory..
    11-23-2009 03:30 PM
    I just checked mine at 166mb
    11-24-2009 02:43 PM
    hey Rustanglife... haha i kid i kid!

which JB apps do you have installed on your phone besides SBSettings? Even when I only had SBSettings and no Winterboard or Backgrounder I only ever had 160 mb MAX.
    11-24-2009 02:50 PM
    Sorry, real noob questions, but how do you check how much memory you're running?
    11-25-2009 03:49 AM
    Sorry, real noob questions, but how do you check how much memory you're running?
    You have to Jailbreak and Download SBSetting.
    11-25-2009 07:18 AM
    hey Rustanglife... haha i kid i kid!

which JB apps do you have installed on your phone besides SBSettings? Even when I only had SBSettings and no Winterboard or Backgrounder I only ever had 160 mb MAX.
    Just checked and have 166MB's again. Not always, Sometime 165, 160, etc

I have....

1. Winterboard
    2. SBSettings and sbs toggle not sure if thats the same program
    Running a theme for sbs settings toggle,springboard,lockscreen and battery charging screen
    3. WeatherIcon enabled (temp and sun or moon icon) and status bar theme (for battery color)
    4. Backgrounder
    5. 3G Unrestricter
    6. Five Column Springboard and Five Column Dock
    7. Quick Reply
    8. SMS helper (counts sms characters)

I always have Ipod turned off and use 3g most of the time. If I have wifi I turn off 3g.

This is everything I can think of, hope it helps.

Josh
    11-26-2009 05:27 PM
    Thanks MustangLife,

I am assuming that you have this much free memory fresh after you "free memory"
    in sbsettings correct? I actually have got up to 168mb free but that was right after I ran "free memory" If I randomly check it throughout the day, it is around 130-150mb free.

Thanks for the help though!
    11-27-2009 09:01 AM
    OP you didn't mention, did you use SSH to put in any of your themes? I know it's a pretty common thing. You have SBSettings so if you have SSH you should make sure it's off because that might be draining your powa. If you want to know if Winterboard is draining the battery just take your theme off and any other Winterboard setting and have it for a day see if there is a difference. If there is get another theme and apply it and see if it draws less battery power then you'll find out if it's Winterboard or the theme.
    11-27-2009 03:43 PM
    I have never used SSH or downloaded openSSH (?). I downloaded all my themes over wifi from Rock.

After playing around with my phone for the last week with Winterboard installed I think it was just all in my head. I still have quite a bit of battery life left at the end of the day, basically the same as I had without Winterboard. Even if there is a slight battery decline, I think it is worth it being able to run themes. Currently I am running Glass Orb Color with the same SBSsettings theme and I LOVE IT!
    11-28-2009 01:47 PM
    Thanks MustangLife,

I am assuming that you have this much free memory fresh after you "free memory"
    in sbsettings correct? I actually have got up to 168mb free but that was right after I ran "free memory" If I randomly check it throughout the day, it is around 130-150mb free.

Thanks for the help though!
    Yeh after a free memory fresh. But sometimes that only gives me a few mb's.

I actually hit 181 mb today and was able to hit 169 mb a few times today. That was the first time over 166mb.
    11-28-2009 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD