MyWi tethering app. Will AT&T charge you?

matsui_g35

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
phone: iphone 3gs black 3.1.2 jailbroken by Blackra!n.

I have just installed MyWi to my iphone, i have not yet tried it. I am afraid i started using it that i would get charged by at&t for tethering.... will this happen?

Please let me know if I will get charged if I begin tethering by using MyWi.

darksniper404

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Possibly, are you going to go crazy downloading movies an such? If your only browsing you probably will not be charged. I can't give you an awnswer though and no one else can except AT&T.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have yet to hear someone being charged with tethering. Its always been rumors they will. I doubt anyone on here have ever been charged for it also.

Josh

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
As long as your not watching you tube videos all day than AT&T wont question it , just remember you got 5 GB of internet .

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah , theses cell phone companies tell us we have unlimited internet but in the fine print they put a cap on us . Its not that big of a deal to me the most I have ever used in a month is 1 GB .

dok

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
on a side note...what would they charge you anyways?

they don't offer a tethering option with the iphone even if you wanted one...do they?

Lacessit

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site

they don't offer a tethering option with the iphone even if you wanted one...do they?

it wasn't offered as of last week when I picked up my iPhone. The only option they give you is to pick up one of their cards for an extra 60(?) a month. As it's not covered in the fine print, I'd bet their only recourse would be to limit your data usage if they do have a cap in there. And you might even be able to fight that of you wanted. "my plan said 'unlimited data' when I signed up".

Dunno for sure though. It'd probably be worth the fight in my book. Might have to re-read my contract carefully.

Slone

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure AT&T has a 5GB (not 100% sure) cap under some kind of fair usage policy, as long as you don't exceed that you should be fine.

Slone

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Settings -> General -> Usage and its under Cellular Network Data. Just reset it on the first of each month to make sure you don't go over.

Greenchunks

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I didn't want to start a whole new thread, so I'll add it in here. I had PDAnet on my phone, but had never used it. I find the concept of MyWi to be far more useful, so I downloaded that and installed it. It creates a network just fine that I can connect to, but shows up as a local network only. (no internet). I read that PDAnet must be uninstalled for it to work due to some DHCP issues, so I went ahead and unistalled PDAnet, but still no luck. Does the phone have to be fully reset after doing that (hold home and power, re-jailbreak etc.?) for the settings to be reset to something that allows it to create a regular network, and not just a local one? Has anyone else had this issue when using MyWi?

g1r_g3n1us

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site

ATT is going to start charging for use of bandwidth. They are going to be changing their plans to be perMB data plans. I heard this from my t-mobile rep.. so dunno if it is entirely true. that means that if your using tethering, your going to be paying for that tethering on att. I suggest leaving that bad company.. or wait til iPhone goes total takeover of all cellphone companies (skyNET beta :p)

they use to offer tethering if I remember and read correctly? but realized that they couldnt actually handle THAT much data over their ****e 3g networks.. so they turned the feature off... is that right? someone please clarify this if im wrong.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I've used MyWi for months and months now. I never get AT&T grief, never been charged or anything. I average between 1.5GB and 2.5GB of data use per month. (I am on the road alot, lots of Sirius XM/Pandora/Slingbox). I tether a hell of a lot to, but only for browsing, email, and basic internet stuff on my laptop. I love MyWi because you can just make it a hot spot and have multiple connection allowed, thats the best part. Use it and dont be scared. Free tethering, FTW

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
ATT is going to start charging for use of bandwidth. They are going to be changing their plans to be perMB data plans. I heard this from my t-mobile rep.. so dunno if it is entirely true. that means that if your using tethering, your going to be paying for that tethering on att. I suggest leaving that bad company.. or wait til iPhone goes total takeover of all cellphone companies (skyNET beta :p)

they use to offer tethering if I remember and read correctly? but realized that they couldnt actually handle THAT much data over their ****e 3g networks.. so they turned the feature off... is that right? someone please clarify this if im wrong.

A nice unbiased source lol

mpafr012#AC

Dec 7, 2008
Visit site

Your wrong. Don't listen to a T-Mobile rep when they talk about AT&T!

Greenchunks

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Your wrong. Don't listen to a T-Mobile rep when they talk about AT&T!

Correct, the actual information is that AT&T is looking into offering incentives to people for cutting back on bandwidth, they have not said they will be charging by the MB.

Anyone with any input regarding the tethering issue I'm having with MyWi? Only showing as a local network. I have checked to be sure that tethering is on in the settings, I have reset network settings (and the phone) after PDAnet was uninstalled, and still no luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner