Hello there. Forgive me for this. I am a new iPhone user. I was given an iPhone 3G 8GB on O2. model for some SEO work I done for a mobile phone recycling company. Suffice to say I have no warranty with it obviously. Anyway as soon as I got the phone I turned it on and started playing around with it, even took it online from my own wifi network at home. Anyway I downloaded iTunes and added the iPhone and created an iTunes account etc. And I think iTunes updated the iPhone and its firmware to the latest version. (fair enough). But now I have the greyed out wifi in settings!

Tried to use blackra1n to jailbreak and unlock the iPhone but you need wifi working on the iPhone to do that! Ive been reading around and this seems a common problem that is a nightmare for many people! Some get it solved, some dont. But theres been talk of downgrading the firmware using a previous version of iTunes and using a custom IPSW file which is what Im trying to do but keep getting incompatible ispw or something when I try selecting it from shift/restore in iTunes when iPhone is in recovery mode. (Ive learned how to put it into DFU & Recovery mode since this)

Anyway this is still happening as I write this. I really wish I could get blackra1n to work so I can unlock the phone from O2 to use another carrier I have unlimited internet with. So at least the phone will have some worthwhile functionality for me. But will still try to get the greyed out wifi problem fixed as well. But Ive also heard that it may be an actual hardware and not software problem this greyed out wifi problem. I hope not and will endeavour to find out.

Anyway, is there any other way of using blackra1n without the iPhones wifi working? Or what is another simple jailbreaking/unlocking software?

Going to try uninstalling iTunes now and getting an earlier version from somewhere. Anyone know a good place? Or how to reset it back to the standard version?

Can provide more details if needed.
    Appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Mike.
    11-19-2009 11:49 AM
    You probably should have asked this question in the Jailbrake forum.
    You don't need wifi to run blackra1n, you just need plug your phone into your computer and double click on blackra1n.
    11-19-2009 02:00 PM
    Hello. Thanks, sorry about that. Thought it was the best forum. You say you don't need wifi to run blackra1n but you do! You are right in that you can install it via your PC yes. But when you run it on your iPhone it needs wifi to download the other apps. "you just need plug your phone into your computer and double click on blackra1n. ". Well yeah, obviously. I know that much. But you need internet access (wifi) on the iPhone after you install blackra1n via your PC to install Cydia, Rock etc that's used to actually unlock the phone.

It's driving me nuts but I really want to get it sorted out and fix this damn greyed out wifi issue. Or at the least unlock the phone so I can use another carrier other than O2.

Would like to know how people manage to do this without having wifi when using blackra1n or how to do it. I know someone knows.
    11-19-2009 04:30 PM
    Hello! Well i was this problem. I install a custom 3.1.2 and use CYDER in my pc for copy Blacksn0w and activated baseband 5.11.07.

Sorry for english xD
    11-20-2009 01:12 AM
    Sorry I forgot all about the phone needing to download stuff. Have you tried resetting the network settings?
    11-20-2009 02:09 PM
    Hi yes I have done all that and even deleted and restored the phone many times to no effect. Still greyed out wifi and it can't be selected. I've managed to jailbreak and unlock it now thanks to the offline method I found to do so. But I still have the damned greyed out wifi.

@Sijajeb. Ok, so what then? Your wifi is working now?
    11-21-2009 06:49 PM
    11-22-2009 10:04 AM
    Hi yes I have done all that and even deleted and restored the phone many times to no effect. Still greyed out wifi and it can't be selected. I've managed to jailbreak and unlock it now thanks to the offline method I found to do so. But I still have the damned greyed out wifi.

@Sijajeb. Ok, so what then? Your wifi is working now?
    No, istn working but you can use EDGE and your phone.
    11-22-2009 11:33 AM
    Yes I can only use EDGE and 3G on my iPhone but it would be convieniant to have WiFi sometimes as well. It's a bit faster even though it drains the battery a bit faster. I still have the greyed out WiFi. I'm thinking I might roll it back to the version 1.x firmware and see if that helps because I don't think this one is a hardware problem more a software one and from what I've seen with other people who have the same thing happening to their iPhone.
    11-25-2009 08:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD