A few questions about unlock / jailbreak

sebroberts

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

At the moment I'm abroad with my iPhone. I want to be able to use a UK SIM, but I have a couple of questions.

1, Do I have to have to Jailbreak my iPhone in order to use any SIM? or am I able to just unlock it?

2, I have my Laptop with me, but my iPhone is backed up from iMac at home (Music, Photos, Apps etc) Will I lose all of this when Unlocking my iPhone?

3, Once I'm back home, will I be able to remove the Jailbreak and update as normal? (I'm on an iPhone contract at home)

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
1. You have to Jailbreak to Unlock but both are easy to do

2. I beleive if you use blackra1n you shouldn't lose anything but there are always exceptions to the rule. Once I tried to do it for a friend and while updating to 3.1.2 the phone gave me an error. This caused me to put it into DFU mode and upgrade to 3.1.2 which wiped everything. However if you've backed up and synced at home if that did happen you would get everything back once you're home. Actually now that I think about it if you're going to connect the phone to your laptop do the backup of the phone on the laptop, just be sure to uncheck everything in each tab for music, videos, contacts, etc so that since you haven't sync'd with the laptop you wont wipe all the data by doing a sync. Then in the left column of iTunes right click on the phone and choose backup. Wait for someone to corroborate this since I've never backed up my phone on a second machine I don't know the implications.

3. Yes once you get home you can do a restore which will remove the JB/UL but it will restore you to factory setting so it will wipe your phone and you will have to restore from your backups. So why not just leave it JB/UL, it will not harm you, until the next firmware update which once applied will remove the JB/UL and you shouldn't lose your data during the process.

If you're going to do the process with blackra1n be sure you put your phone in Airplane mode before you start the process and when you plug in your phone to the USB cable make sure if iTunes starts automatically you close it before running blackra1n.

Last edited:

BENGRIMM

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
2. you wont lose anything when you jailbreak , I have used Blackra1n on my phone 4 time 3 diffrent computer . All the JB doesnt is JB and add one icon , the best icon ever .

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK you have to complete the whole process and reboot let us know how far you've gotten and what your progress is?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods