A friend of mine just got a brand new 3gs yesterday and it s a new manufacture date i guess i ran blackrain goes through everything then tried to install snow,i just get the itunes screen Can these NEW 3gs be unlocked yet? how?
    11-18-2009 08:47 AM
    As far as I know, the new 3gs' ARE unlockable now with blackra1n. It will be a tethered JB/unlock if the phone has the newest bootrom but it can be done nontheless.

ps. A tethered JB means you cannot let the power completely drain or shut the phone off, or else you will have to re-do the JB/unlock process.
    11-18-2009 08:55 AM
    yes ive done 3gs but this one is like newly maufactured so i hear there is something different about the software that wont allow the unlock
    11-18-2009 09:31 AM
    I am not sure about this. I have GeoHot on twitter (flame away! haha) and he hasn't stated anything about that. The latest was that the new phones have a new bootrom which makes the jailbreak/unlock tethered. I have an older 3gs and it is not the case with mine. That is the only thing I have heard. Visit his blog at blackra1n dot com and read some posts there to find out more.
    11-18-2009 10:37 AM
    New iPhones are unlockable I believe but I do remember reading something to the contrary
    11-18-2009 03:11 PM
    New 3Gs can be unlocked but it will be a tethered unlock, meaning you would need to connect to computer if you allow your battery to run out or have to reboot anytime. It takes about 30 secs to rejailbreak after you reboot.
    11-18-2009 04:01 PM
    ive done 3gs befor but this one is different i read something lase week somewhere about this forgot where
    11-18-2009 04:03 PM
    That would be a pain in the a$$ IMO
    11-18-2009 05:12 PM
    The only difference with the new 3GS ( to date ) is the boot rom that requires it to be a tethered jailbreak, I have yet to see anything else introduced ( to date ) that is not unlockable.
    11-18-2009 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD