iv been trying and searching forums for days
    and finally im asking for help

what i have:
    a plan with att (not an iphone plan)
    a used iphone 2g 3.1.2 04.05.04_g 8gig
    jailbroken before 3.0: not %100 sure yet i asked the guy i bought it from and im waiting for a response
    home wifi
    windows xp & vista

what i want to do:
    recieve/make calls, text (which is on my current plan)
    activate my sim & disable EDGE so i wont be charged for internet OR an iphone data plan

my sim card is stuck at the connect to itunes/slide for emergency screen
    it came with a used sim card that i CAN play with the phone (no service)

what iv tried:
    what seem like everything its just one thing or another
    iv jailbroken it with blackra1n but it says to check internet connection
    iv tried to remedy this by doing the whole "reset network settings" thing but that doesnt work
    iv done some other things

im just so damn tired of seaching and finding things that work for people ...but not for me

can anyone please help? i just want a working iphone with no internet or data charge

thanks
    11-08-2009 04:43 PM
    Is your phone currently Jailbroken? is it working as in you can make and receive calls? If so then go to Cydia and get SBSettings this will allow you to turn off Edge. Once Edge is off the phone will only use Wifi for all data connections. If you reboot the phone always check SBSettings to make sure Edge is off some phones turn it back on when you reboot. I'll wait for your answer about Jailbreak to help you further if you need it.
    11-08-2009 05:21 PM
    no the phone is not working, and cannot receive/ make calls (im using no sim, because with MY sim i cant get past the emergency slide screen)

i think its jailbroken, and by that i mean i ran blackra1n and there is now a blackra1n app on the menu next to contacts but when i open it, it just says to "Please check you internet connections (Err..."
    i can only search for wifi but doesnt seam to work

i just tried redsnow to jailbreak (with blackra1n currently on the phone) but i see no Cydia. should i restore the phone to erase the blackra1n and then try redsnow?

im also still concerned that Cydia wont work beacuse my wifi doesnt seem to work
    11-08-2009 06:41 PM
    Hey Guys . i just tried to Jailbreak my 3GS 3.1.2 with PwnageTool_3.1.4 following specifically the instructions given on the technobuzz website for 'jailbreak 3gs 3.1.2' using PwnageTool_3.1.4.
    I got right to the end of the process, and itunes tries to restore . but after some minutes comes with the message The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)
    I want to unlock the phone from at&t so i can use another sim, but i have to jailbreak first. I have restored it to the original 3.1.2 - but now it's my iphone just says 'No SIM card installed' and brings up an 'emergency call' screen option with number pad if i unlock the screen ??
    (and yes - I am using the latest version of itunes)

Please help !!!
    11-09-2009 10:37 AM
    @manasa If your phone is already @ 3.1.2 use blackra1n to jailbreak and blacksn0w to unlock. from blackweather

and follow the tutorial here pwnage tool is if you were on a lower firmware
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G, 3GS Using BlackSn0w [Mac]
    11-09-2009 11:37 AM
    update on the original post:

i restored the iphone and ran redsnow properly 3 times
    1st with only Cydia checked
    2nd with Cydia and Icy Checked
    3rd with Cydia Icy and Unlock checked (i downloaded to required files to unlock)

and everytime nothing shows up on my menu

like i said before when i use blackrain it shows up on the munu but it doesnt read the wifi signal

whats going on?
    i just want to unlock and activate my att sim card, and disable edge
    11-09-2009 12:55 PM
    Go into your settings and click on "reset network settings". Then reboot and see if WiFi works.
    11-09-2009 03:36 PM
    update on the original post:

i restored the iphone and ran redsnow properly 3 times
    1st with only Cydia checked
    2nd with Cydia and Icy Checked
    3rd with Cydia Icy and Unlock checked (i downloaded to required files to unlock)

and everytime nothing shows up on my menu

like i said before when i use blackrain it shows up on the munu but it doesnt read the wifi signal

whats going on?
    i just want to unlock and activate my att sim card, and disable edge
    Reset the network settings to fix the wifi issue.

Did you find your sim card carrier name on the status bar? If it's showing "No Service", you need to install BootNeuter to unlock your iPhone 2G.
    11-09-2009 05:40 PM
    thanks for the attempts to help but
    well as i put in the original post

reset network settings hast worked for me

and with my sim card i cant get past the emergency slide screen
    i can play around the menu with the used sim card that it can with and yes, that one says no service

can i use the used sim card and somehow make that my new sim card?
    11-09-2009 07:00 PM
    UPDATE:
    my original sim card is now in the menu, i got past the emergency slide screen
    but im STILL unable to get the internet to work properly
    my home wifi IS connected but i cant install Cydia because blackra1n says:
    "Please Check Internet Connection (Err...)"
    iv tried Reset Network Settings and reboot and nothing changes still not working

PLEASE HELP!!!
    11-10-2009 12:17 PM
    iv posted this on 3 different places,.....and im still getting no answers
    PLEASE can anyone help?
    11-11-2009 05:23 PM
    so how were u able to get past the emergency call screen, because i am having that same problem
    11-22-2009 11:10 AM
    Try my wifi fixing guide, http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...-new-post.html when you get on cydia download sn0w.
    11-22-2009 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD