I have a 3GS jail broken at 3.0 with my 3.0 ECID SHSH is on file with Cydia. My speaker stopped working and i'm afraid that when i get my phone back from repair they will have updated my software to the latest.

What can i do to protect myself so i can roll back to unlock/jailbreak my phone if Apple updates my phone? (Hopefully they don't change the mother board...)

I would like to backup my software with PwnageTool 3.1 but i get a error stating wrong software. PwnageTool 3.0 does not support 3GS (i can't get it to work).

This phone without a speaker (hands free) really sucks! Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
    11-05-2009 11:07 PM
    do you have cydia on the phone? You're supposed to be able to back up the ecid automatically w/ cydia.
    11-05-2009 11:09 PM
    What are you afraid will happen when you get it back? if they update it to 3.1.2 blackra1n will JB and UL it. What you should be worried about is if they give you a replacement it might have the new boot loader which would prevent you from JB currently. Depending on what you want to backup someone will answer I'm pretty sure.
    11-06-2009 12:05 AM
    Well, it won't 'prevent him', per se, but he would ALWAYS need to be near a computer/laptop with blackra1n installed, a) IF he got a new 3G[s], and b) if his phone died a lot (I.e., battry depleted.

Ultimately, if he's okay with The hassles of a tethered jailbreak, then there's no real issue....
    11-06-2009 09:50 AM
    Yeah sorry I don't cosider the teethered JB a real JB it seems like such a band-aid solution. It's just my opinion though so sorry I didn't put that in my answer.
    11-06-2009 10:08 AM
    Yes cydia backed up my ecid...i had to use it to reinstall 3.0 to see if it fixed my problem...it worked good after i 'directed' itunes to cydia server.

That is what i'm afraid of if the 'genius' bar only replaces the speaker unit...keeps the mother board and updates to the latest firmware. If they give me a new phone or mother board i think i'm basically screwed until someone figures out how to jb & unlock 3.1.2.

So basically what your saying is that i'm at the best position that i can be. is there no way to save a custom 3.0 firmware with pwnage if i need to roll back the modem firmware?
    11-06-2009 11:12 PM
    There is currently a JB and UL available for 3.1.2 on the upgraded baseband using blackra1n and blacksn0w. There is a thread by tothemobile with links. The only time you'll have an annoyance is if they give you a replacement and it's got the new boot loader which as LVCIFER said can still be JB via a tethering method.
    11-07-2009 12:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD