It's pretty simple: I am jailbroken using redsn0w on 3.0 and unlocked with ultrasn0w using a 32GB 3GS, and I only have a Windows PC. I want to upgrade to 3.1.2 and keep my jailbreak and unlock and not update my baseband.

What are my options to do this?
    11-05-2009 11:48 AM
    Search for the firmware that's already gone through the Pwnage tool. Update using that.
    11-05-2009 11:50 AM
    I thought pwnage tool only worked for Mac. How do you do this on a pc? Can someone please provide good instructions for someone who has no idea what to do - thanks.
    11-05-2009 12:43 PM
    Search for the firmware that's already gone through the Pwnage tool. Update using that.
    So I just download the IPSW from here:
    quickpwn.com/2009/10/jailbreak-iphone-3-1-2.html
    then what, jailbreak with blackra1n and unlock with blacksn0w?

I'd prefer to use the dev team's JB/UL. Is that not possible on a Windows PC?
    11-05-2009 12:46 PM
    pwnage tool only works on Mac but the custom firmware it makes can be used on Mac or Windows. You get a custom 3.1.2 firmware made with pwnage tool from a source you trust and then you put your phone into DFU mode. Once in DFU mode connect it to iTunes. iTunes will prompt you that it found a phone in restore mode, click Shift key and hold it down while clicking on restore. iTunes will then ask you to browse to your firmware files you would like to restore from and that is when you point to the one you downloaded. The process will go through restoring it will reboot your phone etc. so don't unplug until the phone is recognized in your iTunes. Also the process wipes out your phone so be sure you sync and backup your phone before you do it.
    11-05-2009 12:47 PM
    So I just download the IPSW from here:
    quickpwn.com/2009/10/jailbreak-iphone-3-1-2.html
    then what, jailbreak with blackra1n and unlock with blacksn0w?

I'd prefer to use the dev team's JB/UL. Is that not possible on a Windows PC?
    As far as I know if you want to JB/UL with blackra1n you have to update to 3.1.2 I don't know if it has to be the geniune Apple update. If you want to use the Dev-Team JB with a custom firmware file I've spelled out the steps above.
    11-05-2009 12:48 PM
    pwnage tool only works on Mac but the custom firmware it makes can be used on Mac or Windows. You get a custom 3.1.2 firmware made with pwnage tool from a source you trust and then you put your phone into DFU mode. Once in DFU mode connect it to iTunes. iTunes will prompt you that it found a phone in restore mode, click Shift key and hold it down while clicking on restore. iTunes will then ask you to browse to your firmware files you would like to restore from and that is when you point to the one you downloaded. The process will go through restoring it will reboot your phone etc. so don't unplug until the phone is recognized in your iTunes. Also the process wipes out your phone so be sure you sync and backup your phone before you do it.
    Could you confirm that the quickpwn link above has the custom firmware? Once that's done is there only one option, blackrain/snow, to JB and UL?
    11-05-2009 12:49 PM
    As far as I know if you want to JB/UL with blackra1n you have to update to 3.1.2 I don't know if it has to be the geniune Apple update. If you want to use the Dev-Team JB with a custom firmware file I've spelled out the steps above.
    What is the "dev team" JB/UL here? I understand loading the custom firmware, but that's not a jailbreak.
    11-05-2009 12:50 PM
    the custom firmware is already JB that is what a JB is, customizing your firmware. So once you load the custom firmware there is no need to JB it is already done you just need to unlock. So follow my steps if you have a custom firmware and you'll be JB then search the forums for the quick steps to unlock it takes like even less time than JBing. I can't confirm that link I use pwnage tool myself so I don't dl firmware.
    11-05-2009 01:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD