Newbie who wants an iphone - please help - hacking question

agcec1

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I looked at previous posts but couldn't find one for the 3GS. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I want to buy an iphone 3gs from AT&T next week (with 2-yr contract and the mandatory data plan). I would like to get rid of the data plan. Will I be able to hack my AT&T contract 3GS so that I don't need to use the data plan any more (I would like to continue to use the AT&T voice plan - not looking to switch to t-mobile or anything)?

If I cancel the data plan, is there some way to block the phone from automatically using data after so I don't get a pay-per-use bill for thousands of dollars?

I know I need data to get the full iphone experience, but I dont want to use the internet on my phone, don't need to use any apps that uses data (maps, itunes etc). All I need is basically an ipod touch that I can make phone calls on.

Please let me know if any of you has any inputs. Thanks in advance!

Thanks
A

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I believe AT&T can detect the phone you're using by the IMEI and since early this summer will automatically upgrade you to the iPhone data plan.

thebeerbaron83

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
This is true. AT&T will know that you have an iPhone and automatically adjust your plan according. I am pretty sure there is no way around the data plan.

masterkjn

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Only way to get away from the ridiculous at&t data plan charges is to unlock it and use it with Tmobile or some other provider. Unfortunately since you just planning to buy it, it will be installed with the latest firmware most probably and that is not unlockable as of right now. And if you but the latest 3GS it is not even jailbreakable fully right now.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro