Hi Guys,

I've run Blackrain on my Iphone 3GS, firmware version 3.1.2 and have successfully installed cydia.

if i disconnect/reconnect my phone to the computer, itunes recognises my phone perfectly.

however if i power down my iphone and disconnect it from the computer, and then i power back up - the usb --> Itunes picture comes up because it wants to be connected to itunes.

When i plug it into the computer, itunes wants to restore my firmware again. The only way to sync back up to itunes is to run blackrain again. Is that right? everytime i power off my iphone i will have to connect it to a computer and run black rain again?

hope someone has answers
    10-27-2009 06:43 AM
    Definitely not. There is something wrong there.
    10-27-2009 07:00 AM
    I would restore and rejailbreak , something went wrong . I have only heard of this type of issue with the R1 and that was on the ipod touch .
    10-27-2009 08:06 AM
    i've spent the past few hours restoring the original 3.1.2 software and using blackrain to JB it.

I followed the tutorial at redmondpie.com exactly.

Blackrain works everytime and reboots the iphone. I close down Itunes after the software restore and i make sure it doesn't launch again while blackrain is running. After the blackrain app has appeared on my phone, when i next power down my phone and power it back up, the usb to itunes pic comes up str8 away and i have to restore my phone again =\. i've tried a million different things but always end up with the same result. i'm stumped that's for sure.

haven't heard of any similar problems. I purchased my iphone 3gs a few days ago
    10-27-2009 08:43 AM
    Are you using the original release of blackra1n, or the newer version (which should deal with the new 3GS OTB)?
    10-27-2009 05:30 PM
    i've spent the past few hours restoring the original 3.1.2 software and using blackrain to JB it.

I followed the tutorial at redmondpie.com exactly.

Blackrain works everytime and reboots the iphone. I close down Itunes after the software restore and i make sure it doesn't launch again while blackrain is running. After the blackrain app has appeared on my phone, when i next power down my phone and power it back up, the usb to itunes pic comes up str8 away and i have to restore my phone again =\. i've tried a million different things but always end up with the same result. i'm stumped that's for sure.

haven't heard of any similar problems. I purchased my iphone 3gs a few days ago
    i have exact same problem with my ipod touch 2g 8gb - blackra1n works fine - can install cydia etc but when i power down, then power back on, get the USB > Itunes screen

??
    10-27-2009 06:12 PM
    The new ipod touch 2g and the iphone 3GS are tethered jailbreaks. Apple fixed the exploit that was being used to jailbreak earlier devices. This means you will have to jailbreak them everytime you reboot. Dev team are still working on a sollution for this. But for now to stay on the safe side avoid buying iphone 3GS which has manufact. date > 40. (Check the 4rth and 5th digits on the serial number of the phone). The dev team tweeted regarding this issue recently.
    10-27-2009 08:14 PM
    The new ipod touch 2g and the iphone 3GS are tethered jailbreaks. Apple fixed the exploit that was being used to jailbreak earlier devices. This means you will have to jailbreak them everytime you reboot. Dev team are still working on a sollution for this. But for now to stay on the safe side avoid buying iphone 3GS which has manufact. date > 40. (Check the 4rth and 5th digits on the serial number of the phone). The dev team tweeted regarding this issue recently.
    This is correct.
    10-27-2009 08:16 PM
    Thnx ! - at least i can stop trying (for now)
    10-27-2009 09:18 PM
    Thanks for the answers guys. Makes alot more sense now.

I checked my serial number and my 4th-5th digits are 41.

i can stop wasting time on it now
    10-28-2009 05:50 AM
    But for now to stay on the safe side avoid buying iphone 3GS which has manufact. date > 40. (Check the 4rth and 5th digits on the serial number of the phone). The dev team tweeted regarding this issue recently.
    lol, who would have the opportunity to rummage through AT&Ts stock to find these?
    10-28-2009 01:27 PM
    I just went and got the GS yesterday. Should I go back and ask them for an older version? Or will it just be a few days until I can enjoy JB-goodness and tethering?

Thanx!

zeddock
    10-28-2009 11:28 PM
    Dev team does not give ETAs. Jailbreak could come tommorrow or never. It is upto you. If you cant live without JB and cant wait for it then you can try to change it, if not then you can wait.
    10-29-2009 04:11 AM
    You can always keep a charger handy that way you will never need to re-jailbreak. Just make sure you never turn your phone off or let the battery die unless you are near a computer. With the stock shortages (here in Canada anyway) I would doubt that any store would have "old" 3gs stock.
    10-29-2009 08:58 AM
    If I jb with my computer at home and need to reboot at work, provided this is a tethered jb, of course. What do I need on my work computer? Latest iTunes & blackra1n RC2? Do I even need iTunes?

When do I actually re-run blackra1n when I reboot?
    10-29-2009 09:26 AM
    I am not completely sure what you will need. I assume all you would need is a copy of blackra1n on the work computer. I don't think you would need to restore or backup in itunes. Don't quote me on this.

I would be interested to know for sure as I JB my friends brand new 3gs iPhone and even though I advised him to not power off or allow the phone to die, I am sure I will be receiving a call from him asking why his phone is not powering up and what he should do.
    10-29-2009 10:50 AM
    Hey Guys . i just tried to Jailbreak my 3GS 3.1.2 with PwnageTool_3.1.4 following specifically the instructions given on the technobuzz website for 'jailbreak 3gs 3.1.2' - using PwnageTool_3.1.4
    I got right to the end of the process, and itunes tries to restore . but after some minutes comes with the message The iphone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)
    I want to unlock the phone from at&t so i can use another sim, but i have to jailbreak first. I have restored it to the original 3.1.2 - but now it's my iphone just says 'No SIM card installed' and brings up an 'emergency call' screen option with number pad if i unlock the screen ??
    (and yes - I am using the latest version of itunes)

Please help !!!
    11-09-2009 10:32 AM
    If your phone is already @ 3.1.2 use blackra1n to jailbreak and blacksn0w to unlock. from blackweather

and follow the tutorial here pwnage tool is if you were on a lower firmware
    If your phone is already @ 3.1.2 use blackra1n to jailbreak and blacksn0w to unlock. from blackweather

and follow the tutorial here. pwnage tool is if you were on a lower firmware
    11-09-2009 11:38 AM
    When I bought my 3gs it came with firmware 3.1 and I updated to 3.1.2. The 4th and 5th digits of the serial number are 41.....is there a jailbreak out yet that I can use? I'm sick of paying for apps or just using "lite" versions. Can someone please help me?
    11-10-2009 02:55 AM
    Jailbreaking is about using applications that use functionality that Apple doesn't expose, it's NOT about not PAYING for applications. We don't talk about nor support any forms of piracy here and attemping to do so will get you banned.
    11-10-2009 03:29 AM
    I'm not talking about any form of priacy.....I just don't like the limitations of a stock device, and would like to get the most out of my iPhone.....can't anyone help?
    11-10-2009 04:27 AM
    Download blackra1n and attempt the jailbreak. I haven't heard of a specific model that is not supported by balckra1n RC3. A friend bought a brand new stock 3GS this past Sunday and I jailbroke it last night with no issues whatsoever.
    11-10-2009 08:40 AM
    Download blackra1n and attempt the jailbreak. I haven't heard of a specific model that is not supported by balckra1n RC3. A friend bought a brand new stock 3GS this past Sunday and I jailbroke it last night with no issues whatsoever.

Well it says earlier in this thread that I may have to wait for a newer version because of my serial number......I'm just really afraid that I'm going to wreck my phone......and if I did I think I would cry
    11-10-2009 02:04 PM
    u should be fine gizmo, the only issue is with the new devices that shipped out after Oct2009. Those people have to reJB everytime they shut off or their 3Gs

or if the iphone battery dies of course...
    11-10-2009 02:32 PM
    Yes with the 3gs or iPod touch 3g they the newer ones have an updated bootrom and they need to be booted with blackra1n hopefully in a month or two they can do an untethered jailbreak.
    11-10-2009 08:00 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD