Tethered JB question......

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
If I use the new blackrain for a new 3gs, when it dies or needs to be reset what do I do?

I understand with the tethered JB it needs to be plugged into the computer, but do I have to re-run Blackra1n? Does it erase the current JB and any of its settings? It would be a real pain if I have to re-JB every time it dies or needs resetting.

Thanks

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
If you restore your phone, you will need to re-jailbreak. This is a separate issue of being a tethered solution. Only the initial jailbreak is "tethered" it is not a full tethered jailbreak in that you have to rerun the software every time you restart your device.

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.....

so just to clarify, for example......phone dies completely. I charge it using a
a dock (not computer) and I turn it back on everything is back to normal? Normal being JB'n?

or an app freezes, I do a reset. The phone is still JB'n?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.....

so just to clarify, for example......phone dies completely. I charge it using a
a dock (not computer) and I turn it back on everything is back to normal? Normal being JB'n?

or an app freezes, I do a reset. The phone is still JB'n?

- If your phone dies ( the battery runs out ) and you charge it, it is still jailbroken.

- If you restart your phone, it will still be jailbroken.

- ONLY if you RESTORE your phone through iTunes ( or upgrade the firmware through iTunes when a new version comes out ) will you lose your jailbreak.

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I think there is a confusion here. As far as I understand, the OP, have a new 3GS (meaning the latest ones built that have latest Boot Rom, so according to some earlier reports, they couldn't be JB), so he just want to know about the new Blackra1n that seems to be JB even those, only different been that if you let it die or restart it, it will indeed loose the JB, so you need to re-JB it again using Blackra1n. With previous Boot Rom, even with 3.1.2 downloaded from iTunes, they can be JB without tethering, just like mine.

Look for more info around to clear doubts.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know that blackra1n had been updated for the new bootrom, I just dug through geohot's tweet timeline, and in deed it IS updated to address it, but it is only a tethered solution.

The support for the MC ipt2g and the new bootrom 3GS is indeed a fully TETHERED solution.

The OP needs to figure out what bootrom he's running, if it's not the new one he'll be fine, if it is, he does indeed need to run blackra1n each time the device restarts.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Meaning it has to be attached to something ( in this case a computer via USB ) to be jailbroken anytime it restarts.

ny888

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I think there's still confusion here.

Let's suppose the OP has one of the new bootrom iPhones and uses Blackra1n RC2 to JB it.

If he loses power and he connects the iPhone to his computer and runs Blackra1n again. Is it only for the ability to reboot it? Did he lose his JB apps and have to re-JB again?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
The way a jailbreak is done, it has to be reapplied on every restart. With some devices it's easy to tuck the code away to do it automatically on a restart. With the new bootroms it's not possible. He will not lose his apps, he'll just have to re-enable the jailbreak with each restart.

ny888

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
The way a jailbreak is done, it has to be reapplied on every restart. With some devices it's easy to tuck the code away to do it automatically on a restart. With the new bootroms it's not possible. He will not lose his apps, he'll just have to re-enable the jailbreak with each restart.

Got it. Thanks.

lowridinguy

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Okay thanks everyone for all your input. I myself have an older 3gs that is JB with redsnow on 3.01. I have not updated yet to 3.1.2 and if/when I do, I have obtained custom firmware for my phone.

My friend just purchased a new 3gs from a big box store last week so we are unsure of whether theirs have the new bootrom and when the new phones with the new bootrom took effect. I JB it last night with Blackrain RC2 and everything seems to be okay (other than bosspaper not displaying background image). Worked on the first try, no issues other than when I went to install Cydia the icon never appeared the first time. I reinstalled cydia and added my packages and sources and all is well..

Now to get this straight again, if my neighbour loses power they will have to plug it in to the cpu, run blackrain again and re-jailbreak? This will not cause an issue with cydia or the apps installed from Cydia? What will happen if it is not plugged into the cpu after a power down, it will not boot up at all?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Assuming the new 3GS has the new bootroom, if he restarts and he's not attached to a computer when he restarts to run blackra1n again, it will be stuck at the restore screen. If he runs blackra1n again, the it will boot again normally.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox