Restoring iPhone, Updating Firmware and Re-Jailbreaking - Confused.

Bobo#IM

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can help with this.

I bought an iPhone 3GS a week after they were released in the UK. I was eager to jailbreak it straight away and a few days after I purchased the phone, the purplerain jailbreak came out (I believe the first version that supported 3GS).

I used this to jailbreak my phone and it worked perfectly.

Since then I've not updated my phone or anything - I am still at Verion 3.0 (7A341) firmware. I have also never updated iTunes, and now have recently formatted my desktop computer so will have to download the latest version of iTunes (which I am happy to do but realise there could be a problem depending on what jailbreak app I use).

Lately Cydia has started to bug on me - Failing to load properly mainly. I did some reading on this and the other problems I've had and a few people mentioned to reset the phone and jailbreak again.

I've wanted to upgrade my phone for a while but I am confused about what I can and can't do.

I want to hard reset my phone and then re-jailbreak once more. I was just wondering if it will be as simple as that?

Likewise, I am unsure what jailbreak I should use - I notice purplera1n now appear to be blackra1n but warns against using the latest version of itunes and particular version of firmware on the phone etc.. Perhaps I should be looking at Dev Team's release instead? I'm just confused about what I should be using here as I am of course nervous about bricking my phone!

If someone could suggest what the best thing to do here is I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You have choices, you can use blackra1n if you don't care about unlocking now or in the future. You are on 3.0 so right now you are retaining your unlockability. So one way, the best I would say, is to get a custom ipsw made with pwnage tool on a mac. This will enable you to update to 3.1.2 while retaining unlockability. I have seen a thread with links to the custome ipsw otherwise shoot me a PM. You would put your phone in DFU mode hook it to iTunes and Shift+Restore and point to your custom ipsw. If you have a 3Gs one side effect of using a custom ipsw created with pwnage tool is your carrier field will become blank. Most people just use MakeItMine to deal with that.

Bobo#IM

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Hey Ipheuria,

I really appreciate your help with this. Unfortunately, I cannot send you a PM as I am a new member and my post count is too low.

Regarding a custom IPSW - I've not created an ipsw before. You mention to do it on a Mac, sadly I only have PC's so unsure if I can attempt this myself. If you wouldn't mind, could you help me with creating one?

I've downloaded the latest iTunes now, not hooked up my iPhone to my PC yet. You mention "shift and restore" when ready to proceed - Is that simply using the shift key and then selecting restore within iTunes?

I don't mind not having the carrier label on the phone, as long as it doesn't affect using the phone with my provider.

Tom

alvink83

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Recently my iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 was displaying "Mobile Substrate Safe Mode" message on the screen. So, I'd restored and jailbreak my iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 again and I'd written the processes, including backup and restore the data on one of my blog post. If you are planning to jailbreak your iPhone again, you may use it as your guidelines.

Cheers~~~

Cheers~~~

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR