I recently formatted my phone and restored 3.1.2 as new, but I refused to let it restore my previous backup. I wanted to start fresh but save ONLY my SMS and contacts.

I browsed through the phone through ssh and found respective folders.

After restoring 3.1.2 and jb, I also restored those directories and noticed my SMS and Contacts did in fact recover.

The issue is that I can no longer SMS or add contacts, though the previous states are there (I can see all my SMS history and all my previously loaded contacts). I eventually just deleted the SMS folder and figured I would just start over on them and it worked. However I really don't want to lose all my contacts and I really don't want to fully restore from that back up (my phone seems to be working so much better with this factory restore and just these two categories backed up).

Any ideas? Is there another way to selectively back up items?

Thanks!
    10-20-2009 07:24 PM

Selfish bump here. Just wondering if anyone has aaaany idea what i can modify in the browser to let me add contacts again since just replacing the Address Book folder only restored them but now I can't add.

(SMS did the same)

edit: lol spelling
    Last edited by Shadax; 10-21-2009 at 12:29 PM.
    10-21-2009 12:15 PM
    You have to make sure you set the proper permissions on the files. I think the proper permission flags are 771 or 775, worst case you could do 777, but that is a security hole just waiting to happen.
    10-21-2009 12:28 PM
    Thank you for your help!

Is this something I can adjust through winscp?

I see octal under properties. Is that what I change?

Edit: Changed to 775.

Worked!

Perfect!!

Thank you so much!!!

Edit x2: Any reason I can't see your scales icon? Otherwise +rep for ya
    Last edited by Shadax; 10-21-2009 at 12:50 PM.
    10-21-2009 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD