I'm just about to jailbreak my iPhone 3G for the first time. I'm running 3.1.2 and was wondering if I should use Cydia or Icy. Thanks
    10-15-2009 05:02 PM
    Rock!!! Definitely. I am actually going to re-jb and only install Rock.
    10-15-2009 05:13 PM
    i'm likin' Rock myself. i have Cydia and Rock installed
    10-15-2009 05:26 PM
    I wanna remove Cydia but I don't think you can without re-jb.
    10-15-2009 05:27 PM
    is there an advantage to removing Cydia?
    why not just leave it?
    10-15-2009 05:31 PM
    In weird like that, lol. I don't want things on my phone I don't use or need. From what I see Rock has everything Cydia has and it looks and runs better.
    10-15-2009 05:35 PM
    At the risk of sounding like a dumba**, what is Rock? Is it another installer app? Where do you find it to install it? Through cydia?

I haven't JB my 3GS yet, so I am trying to understand what the various options are for installing 3rd party apps....thanks
    10-15-2009 05:40 PM
    At the risk of sounding like a dumba**, what is Rock? Is it another installer app? Where do you find it to install it? Through cydia?

I haven't JB my 3GS yet, so I am trying to understand what the various options are for installing 3rd party apps....thanks
    Rock is another installer, yes. it's downloadable within blackra1n app. i am starting to lean towards deleting Cydia also. mine has been buggy ever since upgrading to 3.1.2.
    10-15-2009 05:42 PM
    If you use blackra1n to jb you will have the option to install Rock, Cydia or Icy. You can install 1 or all three. I hear allot of complaints about Icy though.
    10-15-2009 05:44 PM
    hmm. icy is supposed to be Cydia-lite. i've heard nothing but good things lately about Rock. perhaps Rock will play nice with me?
    10-15-2009 05:48 PM
    Rock is CydiA times 5. Period.
    10-15-2009 05:50 PM
    I wish I could use Rock, but I downloaded blackra1n and my phone kept going to "connect to itunes." I had to use PwnageTool instead. I was disappointed, but it wasn't working, so I didnt have a choice.
    10-15-2009 05:57 PM
    i might try out both, thanks to blackra1n. i haven't deleted the blackra1n program yet so i'll try out icy soon.
    10-15-2009 09:35 PM
    Rock sounds pretty good! Can it be used to install backgrounder, sbsettings and all jazz? Thanks for the feedback...
    10-16-2009 03:11 AM
    i second the Rock app. it's got a great interface, is fast and has replaced Cydia on my phone. Cydia still won't load properly and i don't want to have to do a restore>re-JB just to get it working again. Rock, FTW!
    10-16-2009 09:13 AM
    One thing to remember with Cydia is it runs much better on wi-fi. Sometimes I think at&t blocks Cydia's servers or something.

If you go with Rock alone, just remember you'll have to save your own ECID shsh files for each firmware. Although even if you do have them saved through Cydia it's not a bad idea to have your own backup.
    10-16-2009 10:27 AM
    what is the best way to backup JB apps?
    10-16-2009 10:30 AM
    what is the best way to backup JB apps?
    there's an app called AptBackup. you can backup JB apps and then restore them if you have to do a restore of you iPhone. has worked great for me in the past.
    10-16-2009 10:33 AM
    Weel I spent three hours last night restoring my phone and re-jailbreaking my iPhone. I did this for one reason I only wanted Rock installed and not Cydia. I like Rock better and didnt see the need to have both installed. All went well, EXCEPT. If you paid for Apps in Cydia they wont install in Rock, Rock does not have license agreements with some developers. I can not instal 3GUnrestricter or PkgBackup because of this, SUCKS!! So for now my only option is to re-install Cydia and then I can download those two apps again. What a waste of time last night. This is just a heads up for anyone thinking about uninistalling Cydia.
    10-16-2009 10:34 AM
    Weel I spent three hours last night restoring my phone and re-jailbreaking my iPhone. I did this for one reason I only wanted Rock installed and not Cydia. I like Rock better and didnt see the need to have both installed. All went well, EXCEPT. If you paid for Apps in Cydia they wont install in Rock, Rock does not have license agreements with some developers. I can not instal 3GUnrestricter or PkgBackup because of this, SUCKS!! So for now my only option is to re-install Cydia and then I can download those two apps again. What a waste of time last night. This is just a heads up for anyone thinking about uninistalling Cydia.
    hmmm. nice save there. i'll keep Cydia around then. might have to re-JB anyway to get Cydia working again. dang...i hate restoring
    10-16-2009 10:38 AM
    Ohh and dont use Rock restore from backup to download all your apps and themes either. It will install Cydia again due to it being in ur most recent back up in Rock. I learned this the hard way I had to restore and re-jailbreak a second time to get rid of Cydia. Then I downloaded Rock again and then installed everything manually one at a time till done. After all that I then did a back up from there that way Cydia was not in the back up. IT WAS A LONG NIGHT!
    10-16-2009 10:44 AM
    ICY is fast but it causes to many conflicts for me
    10-16-2009 11:41 AM
    After installing Rock with blackra1n, and LOVING it, I will never use Cydia or Icy again. It rocks my face off.
    10-16-2009 11:04 PM
    Hi,

Sir i am iphone newbie. I recently jailbroke and unlocked my iphone 3G with rainsn0w. JB & Unloacking process installed two applications in my phone . .CYDIA & ICY.

My questions is : What are these applications. Do my iphone really need these two ? if yes, then what next can i do with these applications ? IF NOT, then should i uninstall them and how to uninstall them ?

PleaseReply, need your assistance.
    10-17-2009 03:16 AM
    Hmm, I've never heard of rock, I'll have to try that.

I didn't like cydia that much. it loads slow as hell for me. i did like icy though. it seems a LOT more organized than cydia ever has been.
    10-17-2009 04:14 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD