I have the iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 with the newest Baseband.

1. Will I be able to Jailbreak my device with Blackra1n, or do I need to have the older Baseband?

2. Is it easy to restore to Original firmware, without Jailbreal?

3. When the unlock arrived (if it do) can I then unlock the phone with Blackra1n installed or do I need a new Jailbreak?

4. Can iTunes detect I am using a Jailbreak and throw me out from my iTunes account? I have purchased many apps and dont want to loose them. :-)

5. When I use Blackra1n, my phone reset itself and all apps, contacts and more go away?
    10-11-2009 01:45 PM
    1. It will jailbreak just fine how it is.
    2. It's painlessly easy to restore. You simply restore it and jailbreak goes away.
    3. blackra1n is a jailbreak, not an unlock so it's not connected to an unlock (which, for the current baseband, does not exist).
    4. I sync over iTunes with a JB 3GS 3.0 just fine. But the app organization in iTunes may not work, but backups/syncs work just fine. Just don't upgrade through it if a new version comes out.
    5. No, your phone will stay just how it is, it'll simply add the ability to install 3rd party applications (assuming all goes well).

Cheers.
    10-11-2009 01:57 PM
    Thanks. I wanted to know that too.
    10-11-2009 02:01 PM
    Quick Question, and I'm new to the iPhone and Jailbreaking so please bare with me.

I just picked up a Brand new 3GS yesterday. I believe it has firmware 3.1 pre-installed (At least that is what I see when I go into Settings->General->Version). I was reading on the web and it stated that you could not jailbreak your phone if it came pre-installed with version 3.1. So my questions are this

1. Can I Jailbreak my phone as is with Blackra1n?

2. Should I upgrade to 3.1.2 prior to jailbreaking

3. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for helping a new guy out.
    10-11-2009 02:07 PM
    1. Yes (I believe, I'd still upgrade)
    2. Yes
    3. Nope

Prior to BlackRa1n, which was released this morning, there was no way to jailbreak any iDevices with 3.1+ for the OS. But now, you can. Also, jailbreak != unlock.

Jailbreak -> Run any applications you want
    Unlock -> Use any carrier you want

Cheers.
    10-11-2009 02:09 PM
    Thanks for info, I'm just a bit nervous about breaking my brand new toy.

Coming from a blackberry I'm just blown away by the iphone. The only thing that stinks is that I have to jailbreak my phone so I can install a simple app to display my calender events on my unlock screen.

Anyways, thanks again for the help.
    10-11-2009 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD