Hi all,

A newbie to iPhone. Just got a 3GS a few days ago. updated to 3.1.2

Have read thru about this Blackra1n thing but still don't really get on the point of unlockers. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this.

My iPhone 3GS is updated to 3.1.2. In my country, there is no such things as locked phone. So basically my set is an official unlock set.

If i use this blackra1n to jailbreak, will it work for me?

If you guys mentioned that it will be lock. Then my phone will be lock to which teleco?

Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks alot.

JB opens u up to a whole new world...hundreds and hundreds more apps for u to enjoy, such as, utilities which can be useful for use with the iphone, more games, more everything!!
    10-14-2009 10:46 AM
    how do i get winterboard??...or are we using something else with blackra1n?
    10-14-2009 10:56 AM
    how do i get winterboard??...or are we using something else with blackra1n?
    it should be there. try looking for it in spotlite (or search). if it's there, then most likely it will appear after a springboard 'respring'. i also use SBSettings to control which apps i have hidden. very useful.
    10-14-2009 11:41 AM
    it should be there. try looking for it in spotlite (or search). if it's there, then most likely it will appear after a springboard 'respring'. i also use SBSettings to control which apps i have hidden. very useful.
    i used the spotlite and results were negative then when i try to DL it from cydia, it froze my phone on the apple screen and i had to restore and JB all over again
    10-14-2009 12:10 PM
    I'm needing a step by step for jailbreaking a 3G w/OS 3.1.2
    I am running XP. 9.1 iTunes. from what I've been reading I may not be able to unlock but that's fine with me. I'm new at this so when I say "step by step" I mean every bit of that, haha! thanks for any info. oh, just so i know, what are some disadvantages of JB?

I'm going to be using the mac version and also need a step by step. I haven't updated my phone in awhile for fear of losing the jailbreak.

I'm running 3.0 on a 3g and want to do this right...

Do I update through itunes first? Do i not? Any help would be great!

Thanks!
    10-14-2009 01:43 PM
    just wondering....
    is there anything else i will need to do after the JB to be complete?
    10-14-2009 03:00 PM
    just wondering....
    is there anything else i will need to do after the JB to be complete?
    yeah. dive deep into Cydia. and don't ever look back!

but seriously, no. you should see Cydia on your springboard. get to know it. and then check out these posts to wet your appetite:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/10...ailbreak-apps/

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/12...eak-apps-part/

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/03...t-3/#more-7549

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/07...t-4/#more-9790
    10-14-2009 03:07 PM
    yeah. dive deep into Cydia. and don't ever look back!

but seriously, no. you should see Cydia on your springboard. get to know it. and then check out these posts to wet your appetite:

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/10...ailbreak-apps/

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/12...eak-apps-part/

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/03...t-3/#more-7549

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/07...t-4/#more-9790
    thanks! just a little skeptical, especially after reading several issues people are having after doing the JB.
    but i guess when all else fails, restore-restore-restore!
    10-14-2009 03:10 PM
    didn't work either ??? do I need to turn off phone or push and/or hold any of my buttons like with redsnow??
    10-14-2009 03:11 PM
    didn't work either ??? do I need to turn off phone or push and/or hold any of my buttons like with redsnow??
    not sure why you are experiencing so many problems. blackra1n was cake compared to redsn0w. no IPSW files to download and install, no DFU hangups...it was easy for me.

i assume you already updated to iTunes 9.1 and have OS 3.1.2 running (didn't read all the way back to beginning of this topic). if not, update to those. then run blackra1n.

have you followed the steps exactly as described here? Jailbreak iphone 3.1.2 with blackra1n | TechnoBuzz.net that's what i did and it took the very 1st time. unlike with redsn0w (but that was my first JB...user error)
    10-14-2009 03:21 PM
    Hi

ive done everything in the tutorial, but when i try and put an app over itunes tell me that there is an error! Also ive downloaded themes with cydia but i cant use them.

Any help?

Tibbs
    10-14-2009 03:37 PM
    have done all updates will NOT go to geo pic phone remains blank then i have to recover that take a while clicked I've done "make it rain" it says it done it all and has jb phone but screen is blank? iphone 3g, Im using 3.1.2 os and running itunes 9.0.1 could I get a step by step inst for idiots I've followed the inst on here still no JB?? do i need to shut down anything or hold any buttons??? did redsnow on first try no problems this is driving me bonkers
    Last edited by heckt51; 10-14-2009 at 04:13 PM. Reason: more info
    10-14-2009 03:39 PM
    Hi

ive done everything in the tutorial, but when i try and put an app over itunes tell me that there is an error! Also ive downloaded themes with cydia but i cant use them.

Any help?

Tibbs
    do u have winterboard app on your springboard??
    10-14-2009 03:40 PM
    I jailbroke mine last night and haven't had any problems. Used blackra1n
    10-14-2009 03:41 PM
    Alright.... I'm confused. I'm on a mac but I figure the technobuzz tutorial is kind of close.

It says this

"WARNING: GeoHot jailbreak supports 3.1.2 do not update if you are on iPhone OS 3.0.1 or 3.0"

but later in the tutorial is says to update to 3.1.2 via itunes.

So what am I supposed to do? Also, when updating to 3.1.2 am I supposed to use the one itunes downloads for me or the one I download from say a site like technobuzz?

Thanks for the help everyone.
    10-14-2009 03:42 PM
    Alright.... I'm confused. I'm on a mac but I figure the technobuzz tutorial is kind of close.

It says this

"WARNING: GeoHot jailbreak supports 3.1.2 do not update if you are on iPhone OS 3.0.1 or 3.0"

So what am I supposed to do? Also, when updating to 3.1.2 am I supposed to use the one itunes downloads for me or the one I download from say a site like technobuzz?

i thought mac users had a different JB...if not...

...use itunes 9 to DL 3.1.2 then go from there...
    10-14-2009 03:47 PM

It says this

then that changes everything. first sentence on Technobuzz "Finally GeoHot has released his BlackRa1n jailbreak for Windows users only". you cannot use BlackRa1n on Mac. use PwnageTool found here Jailbreak iPhone 3.1.2 with PwnageTool 3.1.4 | TechnoBuzz.net
    10-14-2009 03:49 PM
    do u have winterboard app on your springboard??
    Hi

Yes

Tibbs
    10-14-2009 03:49 PM
    Hi

Yes

Tibbs
    launch Winterboard. this is the app that will allow you to add different theme elements that you have installed through Cydia. you can check/uncheck elements you want to use and even move them around. below is a good link helping explain how to utilize Winterboard. hope it helps.

Hack that Phone - Make and use themes with WinterBoard
    10-14-2009 03:53 PM
    then that changes everything. first sentence on Technobuzz "Finally GeoHot has released his BlackRa1n jailbreak for Windows users only". you cannot use BlackRa1n on Mac. use PwnageTool found here
    He just released BlackRa1n for Mac late last night. There isn't a tutorial out yet but I figured the windows one was close enough.
    10-14-2009 03:53 PM
    launch Winterboard. this is the app that will allow you to add different theme elements that you have installed through Cydia. you can check/uncheck elements you want to use and even move them around. below is a good link helping explain how to utilize Winterboard. hope it helps.

Hack that Phone - Make and use themes with WinterBoard
    i searched using spotlite for winterboard but it doesnt show up...then i tried to DL it via cydia and when it reboot, my phone freezes on the apple screen so i restored and JB'd all over again...how do i get winterboard back?
    10-14-2009 03:57 PM
    Has anyone Jailbroken their phone running 3.12 and run any of the Rock Your Phone apps like IntelliScreen, MyProfiles, and iRealQuickSMS?
    10-14-2009 04:02 PM
    He just released BlackRa1n for Mac late last night. There isn't a tutorial out yet but I figured the windows one was close enough.
    oh. now that you mention it, i remember the post here on TiPb about that. just hasn't sunk in yet.
    10-14-2009 04:03 PM
    Has anyone Jailbroken their phone running 3.12 and run any of the Rock Your Phone apps like IntelliScreen, MyProfiles, and iRealQuickSMS?
    i haven't used those. i've used QuickReply but it was a Cydia app. i've had a couple of major updates to Rock since upgrading to 3.1.2 though. are you having trouble?
    10-14-2009 04:04 PM
    i searched using spotlite for winterboard but it doesnt show up...then i tried to DL it via cydia and when it reboot, my phone freezes on the apple screen so i restored and JB'd all over again...how do i get winterboard back?
    have you installed SpotBright from cydia? it is same thing as spotlite, but allows you to also search for for hidden or JB apps. spotlite won't pull them up. and i'd recommend downloading SBSettings or BossPrefs. both will allow you to hide app icons and conversely, reveal hidden ones.
    10-14-2009 04:07 PM
176 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD