You can jailbreak with blackra1n, but not unlock.

You can either upgrade to 3.1.2 or stay at 3.1 ( it won't matter ), and then run blackra1n. Welcome to jailbreaking 101
    Thank you! So with this one it doesnt matter if the phone has NOT been JB-ed before? Because before it was impossible if the phone comes with pre-installed 3.1.
    10-12-2009 03:56 PM
    Hey JBers

Ran Blackra1n without a problem! Downloaded Cydia and installed Winterboard. Once winterboard was downloaded and installed, I was prompted in Cydia to ReBoot iPhone. I clicked the button, phone powered off, restarted and now can not load past the white apple logo. Do I need to restore my phone? Will iTunes even recognize the phone if it wont boot up?

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Pete
    10-12-2009 04:16 PM
    Thank you! So with this one it doesnt matter if the phone has NOT been JB-ed before? Because before it was impossible if the phone comes with pre-installed 3.1.
    Correct, this works with 3.1 OTB. If you bought your 3GS and it had 3.1 installed on it you're good to go for jailbreaking. Unlocking, no.
    10-12-2009 04:19 PM
    Hey JBers

Ran Blackra1n without a problem! Downloaded Cydia and installed Winterboard. Once winterboard was downloaded and installed, I was prompted in Cydia to ReBoot iPhone. I clicked the button, phone powered off, restarted and now can not load past the white apple logo. Do I need to restore my phone? Will iTunes even recognize the phone if it wont boot up?

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Pete
    Go for a restore, put your phone into recovery mode:
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into Recovery Mode
    10-12-2009 04:20 PM
    10-12-2009 04:22 PM
    done. sooooo easy! i followed the OP's directions and everything took the very first attempt.

i'm running windows vista, and upgraded from JB 3.0.1 32GB 3GS to OS 3.1.2. all seems well thus far (just finished installing cydia).

all hail geohot!
    10-12-2009 05:35 PM
    @redbeard

OMG!!! It worked. Thanks.
    10-12-2009 05:36 PM
    done. sooooo easy! i followed the OP's directions and everything took the very first attempt.

i'm running windows vista, and upgraded from JB 3.0.1 32GB 3GS to OS 3.1.2. all seems well thus far (just finished installing cydia).

all hail geohot!
    Congrats
    10-13-2009 12:07 AM
    only thing i have noticed is that some of my app icons are missing. can see them in iTunes and spotlight, but no icons on homepage. weird
    10-13-2009 09:21 AM
    I do have a question. I am really tempted to Jailbreak my 3GS but I haven't seen anyone ask my questions. If you jailbreak can you still use the App Store? And what happens to your downloads already on the device?
    10-13-2009 10:47 AM
    I do have a question. I am really tempted to Jailbreak my 3GS but I haven't seen anyone ask my questions. If you jailbreak can you still use the App Store? And what happens to your downloads already on the device?
    yes. you still have access to App Store, Cydia apps and many many more. plus you get to keep the apps you already have. they still sync through iTunes also.

you don't actually 'lose' access to anything. JB only opens the door for more great things.
    this was a big question in my mind before JBing also. now, come over to the darkside...
    10-13-2009 11:13 AM
    ok i got a real newb question.

Im really new to iphone about 3 days new i just bought my iphone 16g 3gs. it came with 3.1.2 already on it.

So... Would this jailbreak work on my 3gs?
    10-13-2009 12:08 PM
    ok i got a real newb question.

Im really new to iphone about 3 days new i just bought my iphone 16g 3gs. it came with 3.1.2 already on it.

So... Would this jailbreak work on my 3gs?
    yes. the BlackRa1n jailbreak will work with the latest 3.1.2 firmware; however, it will not hacktivate your iPhone. no previous JB necessary.
    10-13-2009 12:13 PM
    Jailbreaking, at least IMO. Isnt about so much the apps they offer, rather the utilities and system setting it opens up for you. I mean I can add 3G unrestrictor to watch my sling, or get high quality youtube. I can add SBSSettings for quick one click access to my settings. I installed PDANet to tether(best part of jailbreaking IMO), Intelliscreen is great too, something apple should do themselves! and of course themes. Although in the past I really didnt care about themes So much as being able to just have an image on my homescreen background. But there so much that can open the iphone up, its silly not to. I too was once hesitant, and the best thing is, you can always revert and unjailbreak if you dislike. But for PDANet alone and MyWi, thats why I jailbreak.
    10-13-2009 01:45 PM
    I have a question,

I have the iPhone 1rst Generation (16Gb) and as shown on this video( youtube.com/watch?v=kk6x4yGbflw), I pushed on the button "Restore and Update". From there I have the 3.1.2 FW. I heard that if you JB the iPhone 3G and 3GS you'll have a pb with the BaseBand and will probably loose your phone, so MY QUESTION Will be:

Is the Problem with the BaseBand on the iPhone 3G and 3GS (when you Jailbreak with blackra1n), will also occure with the 1rst Gen. If there'll be no pb, should I have any pb with calling and will my iPhone be as good as before(as "phone")??(I'm asking this question because I never heard any info on the 1rst Gen anywhere and because I don't want to loose my device :s)

Thanks Alot!!!
    Last edited by ESCKHANDAR; 10-13-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    10-13-2009 04:34 PM
    I would like some input and help if you guys wouldn't mind =)

Ok, I'm basically still running version 2.2.1 (I know, really old). I didn't want to upgrade my JB software or apple software until the whole 3.1.2 MMS came out. So now it's finally here, 3.1.2 JB.

What are my options to get this thing started?
    Restore the whole phone , start from scratch ? and upgrade to Apple's 3.1.2 first. Then obviously follow the Blackrain JB ?

What if I just upgraded to apple's 3.1.2 first without even restoring it? Or should I restore it first to erase and delete all the OLD JB ?

that's my biggest question I guess. what's the better way of doing this.
    10-13-2009 04:41 PM
    have tried this again for the third time i do not get the boot up screen it says its in recovery mode the itunes says its in recovery mode and have to restore my phone could we just get a simple step by step inst for us idiots redsnow was easy compared to this ALL HELP WE BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
    10-13-2009 06:42 PM
    So I got home tonight and tried the trick running Blackra1n from the C: , no luck . Then I tried the DFU trick , no luck . Then I restarted and just held the home button and 30 seconds later Voila ! It is so sssswwwwweeeeeeeettttt!!!!!!!!!!. Now if I can just figure out all terms in the JB world .
    10-13-2009 06:48 PM
    have tried this again for the third time i do not get the boot up screen it says its in recovery mode the itunes says its in recovery mode and have to restore my phone could we just get a simple step by step inst for us idiots redsnow was easy compared to this ALL HELP WE BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Try it in itunes 9.1
    10-13-2009 10:32 PM
    I'm needing a step by step for jailbreaking a 3G w/OS 3.1.2
    I am running XP. 9.1 iTunes. from what I've been reading I may not be able to unlock but that's fine with me. I'm new at this so when I say "step by step" I mean every bit of that, haha! thanks for any info. oh, just so i know, what are some disadvantages of JB?
    10-14-2009 12:22 AM
    10-14-2009 08:28 AM
    awesome! i will give it a try this evening. thanks!
    just out of curiosity, if this does not work then do i just do a restore to back to 'normal'?
    10-14-2009 09:52 AM
    nevermind...

YIf you JB and you find problems on your phone then just connect to iTunes and click restore it will restore the phone back to factory settings and undo the JB.
    thanks, BENGRIMM
    10-14-2009 09:55 AM
    that was the easiest JB everrrrrrrrrrr!!
    10-14-2009 10:31 AM
    Hi all,

A newbie to iPhone. Just got a 3GS a few days ago. updated to 3.1.2

Have read thru about this Blackra1n thing but still don't really get on the point of unlockers. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on this.

My iPhone 3GS is updated to 3.1.2. In my country, there is no such things as locked phone. So basically my set is an official unlock set.

If i use this blackra1n to jailbreak, will it work for me?

If you guys mentioned that it will be lock. Then my phone will be lock to which teleco?

Can someone enlighten me on this?

Thanks alot.
    10-14-2009 10:43 AM
176 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD