Google voice with a list

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Man I can't find that anywhere. Only thing I can find is buy calling credit for $10. I would spend the $10 though to get a gv number!

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone added their google voice number to their alist to get free incoming and outgoing calls through google voice?

Yup and yup. :) So far so good. The only ones unhappy about this turn of events are the students, cause I'll now call their parents right in the middle of class if necessary!

How are you getting free incoming calls using A-list? I get the outgoing ones because my GV number shows up on caller ID, I answer and then it calls who I want. But for incoming calls, it shows the caller ID of whoever is calling my GV number; which are not on my A-list.

foster2380

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Nevermind I found in the settings that it can display the caller's # or the GV #. Trade-off being that you won't know who's calling I guess.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Bump...anyone else have input on what you are getting billed for?

IF GV is on your A-List then all in-coming and out-going calls will be free. The trick is to have all in-coming calls set up to display GV# not the person that is calling the GV#. That way AT&T recognizes the in-coming GV# as on your A-List.

As was suggested, you lose the ability to see who is calling in but at least it will be a free call.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Okay, I now have a gmail number took awhile but finally got it. Here is the problem, I can't make google calls from the app I downloaded from Cydia. If I go to the google voice web site and make a call it works fine. Any ideas anybody?

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
What is it doing?

If You downloaded the GV Mobile app from Cydia, all you need to do is open it up. Dial a number or choose a Contact. Your iPhone will ring. You answer it then GV places the call. You should here the other phone "ringing" when you answer your iPhone.

Is that happening? Did that make sense? :confused:

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
geez. i have my google voice 'approval' and have the app installed, but after reading all this A-list mumbo-jumbo, it seems a bit complicated. and for me, i don't have a dedicated line to my office right now. so really, my only contact would be my normal cell #. so i guess i'll keep the GV option open for a later date. maybe then i'll really need this feature.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
@Brickman
it dials then error pops up and says something like you are trying to call an invalid number. I'll post a screen shot when I get home. It does that error with every number I call. I did download the GV app from Cydia. If I use the Google voice wbsite it works fine.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
I got it, was doing two things wrong. I forgot to unrestrict it with 3Gunrestrictor and I wasn't waiting long enough for my phone to ring back to me. Thanks for the responses though.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You shouldn't have had to use 3GUnrestrictor on it. I've been using it for a while without even having 3GUnrestrictor installed. I suspect it was the waiting that was the problem.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
Anyone find a Voip option? Im looking to send my Google voice number to a Voip line for free calls over 3G. Anyone have any ideas as to what Voip service would work with this?

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
i just wish there was a good free VoIP app for the iPhone because my service at home currently stinks and i would love to be able to use WIFI like i could with TMobile.