Nevermind I found in the settings that it can display the caller's # or the GV #. Trade-off being that you won't know who's calling I guess.
    11-09-2009 11:22 PM
    Nevermind I found in the settings that it can display the caller's # or the GV #. Trade-off being that you won't know who's calling I guess.
    You are going to be greatly disappointed when you receive your first bill. I also did that and they always show up incoming from my own cell number, and charged.
    11-10-2009 10:59 AM
    @Uproarmedia
    do you have a google number or did you use your own number?
    11-10-2009 11:23 AM
    You are going to be greatly disappointed when you receive your first bill. I also did that and they always show up incoming from my own cell number, and charged.
    Are you just referring to in-bound calls? Or out-bound too?
    11-10-2009 01:58 PM
    Bump...anyone else have input on what you are getting billed for?
    11-14-2009 09:12 PM
    Bump...anyone else have input on what you are getting billed for?
    IF GV is on your A-List then all in-coming and out-going calls will be free. The trick is to have all in-coming calls set up to display GV# not the person that is calling the GV#. That way AT&T recognizes the in-coming GV# as on your A-List.

As was suggested, you lose the ability to see who is calling in but at least it will be a free call.
    11-14-2009 11:01 PM
    Okay, I now have a gmail number took awhile but finally got it. Here is the problem, I can't make google calls from the app I downloaded from Cydia. If I go to the google voice web site and make a call it works fine. Any ideas anybody?
    12-05-2009 11:49 AM
    What is it doing?

If You downloaded the GV Mobile app from Cydia, all you need to do is open it up. Dial a number or choose a Contact. Your iPhone will ring. You answer it then GV places the call. You should here the other phone "ringing" when you answer your iPhone.

Is that happening? Did that make sense?
    12-05-2009 12:10 PM
    geez. i have my google voice 'approval' and have the app installed, but after reading all this A-list mumbo-jumbo, it seems a bit complicated. and for me, i don't have a dedicated line to my office right now. so really, my only contact would be my normal cell #. so i guess i'll keep the GV option open for a later date. maybe then i'll really need this feature.
    12-05-2009 12:42 PM
    @Brickman
    it dials then error pops up and says something like you are trying to call an invalid number. I'll post a screen shot when I get home. It does that error with every number I call. I did download the GV app from Cydia. If I use the Google voice wbsite it works fine.
    12-05-2009 12:49 PM
    I got it, was doing two things wrong. I forgot to unrestrict it with 3Gunrestrictor and I wasn't waiting long enough for my phone to ring back to me. Thanks for the responses though.
    12-05-2009 01:04 PM
    You shouldn't have had to use 3GUnrestrictor on it. I've been using it for a while without even having 3GUnrestrictor installed. I suspect it was the waiting that was the problem.
    12-05-2009 03:22 PM
    Good heads up I will take it off 3GUnre and see.
    12-05-2009 03:51 PM
    Anyone find a Voip option? Im looking to send my Google voice number to a Voip line for free calls over 3G. Anyone have any ideas as to what Voip service would work with this?
    01-24-2010 07:16 PM
    i just wish there was a good free VoIP app for the iPhone because my service at home currently stinks and i would love to be able to use WIFI like i could with TMobile.
    01-25-2010 05:06 PM
    i just wish there was a good free VoIP app for the iPhone because my service at home currently stinks and i would love to be able to use WIFI like i could with TMobile.
    Seconded. My service at home sucks.
    01-25-2010 07:33 PM
    i just setup my jailbroken iPhone to send and receive calls. I'm using Gizmo5, Google voice and Siphon (via Cyidia)... All free.

I love this.

Sometimes the calls sound a little skype-ie. But, I'm not on the 450 min plan and I've canceled txt messaging.... w00t.
    01-26-2010 10:14 PM
    Skype. The app is free. Works over WiFi great. You can even get a Skype to Go Number that acts like a real phone number with Voicemail and you can make unlimited Calls to US and Canada for about $8.00 a month. They have othet plans for other countries also. Of course Skype to Skype is Free.
    01-26-2010 10:53 PM
    But u have to PAY, that's not free. Cheap but not free.
    01-26-2010 11:01 PM
    Yes it does work. But you have to remember to change your Settings > Calls > Caller ID (in) to Display my Google Voice number.

For those who don't have Google Voice and have a hard time understanding what's being asked, you set up contacts with phone numbers either via GMail or directly in Google Voice. When you call these numbers or any number you type within the Google Voice webapp phone keypad, it dials those respective numbers but all of them are filtered through a specific central number. Likewise, when you follow the above tips to set your Google Voice number to display, it shows that number when anyone calls you. So if you have this particular number on your AT&T A-List wherein you're allow unlimited calls to and from it for free, you will never be charged for using Google Voice!

MARK MY WORDS: If this becomes widespread on AT&T's or Verizon's network and it begins to make internet buzz and news, they will do all they can to stop it!!!
    Last edited by Watcher; 03-03-2010 at 12:11 AM.
    03-02-2010 11:51 PM
    Yes it does work. But you have to remember to change your Settings > Calls > Caller ID (in) to Display my Google Voice number.

For those who don't have Google Voice and have a hard time understanding what's being asked, you set up contacts with phone numbers either via GMail or directly in Google Voice. When you call these numbers or any number you type within the Google Voice webapp phone keypad, it dials those respective numbers but all of them are filtered through a specific central number. Likewise, when you follow the above tips to set your Google Voice number to display, it shows that number when anyone calls you. So if you have this particular number on your AT&T A-List wherein you're allow unlimited calls to and from it for free, you will never be charged for using Google Voice!
    I have my JailBroken 3G set up like this and it has saved me a TON of Money! I am using the GV Mobile app from Cydia. I was abel to get the whole family Unlimited internet and still save $30+ dollars a month. (The wife and I have iPhones. The 3 teenagers just have regular phones that can get the internet) I am even think about lowering our Family PLan minutes to the lowest possible (1500 I think) because we are banking almost a 1,000 minutes a month, while talking nearly 5,000 per month!

I do have one question though. Let's say I am NOT JB and I want to use the Google Voice Web App. Do I set it up the same way I have now and as described above by Watcher?

The reason I ask is that I tried the Web App out once and it worked just fine. I did notice though that when I called my son, a different number showed up on my screen that was not my GV number or his cell number. The call went through and my GV number showed up on his Caller ID, but the GV Web App displayed a different # other than his number. Do you think it still did NOT charge me for that call or what?

<Did that make sense?>:o
    03-03-2010 08:24 AM
    ^^^
    yes makes sense. I couldn't figure that one out either. You use the cydia app and your gv number shows on the display. Use the web app and a different number than gv number shows on display.
    All I did was put my google voice number on my a list and all my out going calls are free. My work phone I forward all calls to my gv number and those calls are all free. No more carrying around two phones.
    03-03-2010 09:42 PM
    sargd66,
    So you are using the Web App that way and it is working for you?

the main reason i am curious is IF I get a new phone this summer, and I can not JB it right away I still want to use Google Voice and my A-List.
    03-03-2010 10:37 PM
    I have my Google Voice number on my A list. I don't use it very often though since most people that I call have AT&T. Hopefully they will get an app going for the iPhone like they had on my BlackBerry. I could even sent a text message too and from that number from my BlackBerry.
    03-04-2010 03:16 AM
    @Brickman
    I removed the web app because of that. Plus it was like 3 apps to use all the features. I only use the cydia version GV+ and I love it, use it all the time. All my incoming and outgoing calls are all free due to my gv number being on my Alist.
    03-04-2010 07:57 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD