Carrier update requires OS 3.1

allabout17

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
It says that in order to download the carrier update you have to have OS 3.1. I have a jailbroken 3G S running 3.0, anyone know if there is a way around this? I knew they were going to do this!!

Minhala

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Gotta say....I don't care if I never have MMS so still no reason for me to lose my JB. And while I only tether on very rare occasions, usually those are the times I really need it, so I would be sorry to lose it. But hopefully they come up with a jailbreak for 3.1 soon....

allabout17

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I don't plan on updating to 3.1 until there is a way to jailbreak it. I love having a jailbroken iPhone!! I love the freedom and the programs not available in the app store. I don't really care that much about mms, but it would be nice to have the ability to do it, assuming I don't have to lose my jailbreak.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Install the "Sinful" repo to Cydia. Download "MMS & Tethering Settings". Follow the instructions. And voil?. You now have MMS after rebooting, ON 3.0.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
You don't need to have 3.1 for the "official" carrier update. Itunes just "automatically" makes you update to 3.1 before it'll let you automatically update the carrier settings.

I'm here at work and we have 3 iphones. One 3G with a 3.1 Jailbreak, and two 3.0 Jailbreaks (a 3G and a 3Gs). I tried to plug my phone (the 3Gs) in all morning with nothing but the standard "there is a new {3.1} update for your iPhone" message. I took the Jailbroken 3.1 3G and plugged that in and got the carrier update message and updated it's carrier. Then I Plugged in the 3.0 3G and 3Gs and "hold shift and hit update" to manually select the official at&t carrier file that itunes downloaded a second earlier and updated both J/B 3.0's.

So it works for both 3.1 and 3.0, just need to force the carrier update.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
First,

1. Open Command Prompt (windows: it?s in Program Files -> Accessories).

2. Copy and paste the following command and press enter:
cd C:\Program Files\iTunes\

If you?re using a 64-bit operating system use the following command instead and press enter:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\

3. Copy and paste the following command in Command Prompt and press enter:
iTunes.exe /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1

4. For the the new offical carrier file 5.5 use the link epphllps provided above or
If you have donwloaded the new offical carrier file 5.5 then file is located in (windows):
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Carrier Support\

5. And when you shift + update, look over on the lower right for the file type you want to be seen, it should give you the option to select wither an ipsw or a ipcc.

6. Choose the new offical at&t .ipcc and restart when done.

cmatt

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I agree

Install the "Sinful" repo to Cydia. Download "MMS & Tethering Settings". Follow the instructions. And voil?. You now have MMS after rebooting, ON 3.0.

I installed "Sinful" several days ago and just waited for today and, once AT&T turned the switch, my MMS has been working - jailbroken 3GS with 3.0.1 and AT&T 4.0 carrier file. Not sure why it works since I don't have 5.5 seems OK.

futurecode

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
nothing will pop up, it'll just give you the ability to select a ipcc file when you do shift + update in itunes. At least that is what it did for me.

galactica2001

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
OK, so I installed the sinful mms and tethering hack today because I tried to play nice and let AT&T roll out their update. But when I saw the original post saying you needed to have 3.1 OS to use MMS I went ahead and instaled the hack.

My question now is, is here any point in me using th steps above to load the new carrier file? I know overall the hack is probably better since it provides tethering. I am just curious if I should do both or continue with my **** you AT&T I tried to play nice attitude.

I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G 16gig running the 3.0.1 OS. The sinful hack worked great and I have not experienced the voice mail bug "yet".

Bull

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
May sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference between the 5.1 carrier file and the 5.5? :confused: I downloaded the 5.1 file from a Google search last week and yes my MMS is working as of today. What will happen when I sync and do the upgrade with iTunes this evening? I am running 3.1 now on a 32gig phone.

SOV

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
yeah i selected it, the photo icon in sms worked, but when i go to send the photo it never sends, does the other iphone im sending it to have to have the update aswell?

lmao i would assume so, i had to sound like a retard for even asking that right?

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
If you don?t want to upgrade to 3.1 here is the Apple link to the carrier file 5.5: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...erBundles/061-7282.20090925.3Sph5/ATT_US.ipcc

Thanks for the link! While I already had MMS on my 3GS 3.0 iPhone, I thought it would be nice to have an up-to-date carrier file. I installed this update just fine with a shift-click. I was able to verify that I'm at version 5.5 by ssh'ing into my phone and checking the /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles/ATT_US.bundle/version.plist file.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah i selected it, the photo icon in sms worked, but when i go to send the photo it never sends, does the other iphone im sending it to have to have the update aswell?

lmao i would assume so, i had to sound like a retard for even asking that right?

Yes, if the other iPhone does not have the carrier update installed, the MMS will not go through. You will not get an error either.

vexvegaz

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
need some help guys..i tried sending a test mms but it hangs during send. both iphones have been updated BTW
heres a ss of the error

EDIT: cant post images until post count reaches 10