Restoring and cracking 3GS?!?!?!?? Apples a *****.

jayhal

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just acquired an 16Gb iPhone 3GS, and had it taken out to be jail broken, which went smoothly(they downgraded 3.0.1 to 3.0 and unlocked it). I had been installing apps onto it, which mostly went fine as well until I installed winterboard via Cydia. Installation ran normal, until I was asked to restart. After restart, the phone failed to load and would hang on the boot up screen(apple logo) then turn off.

My research told me that it may be a problem with the memory, and that the phone was crashing while trying to load the icons/menu. I also have categories installed, so I'm not sure if that contributes as well. Solutions seem to be changing the app folder name temporarily(which I can't do since it wont turn on, and i don't have ssh installed), and not directly restarting after winterboard install, but jumping to menu then turning the phone off and on(which it's too late for).

I'm trying now to restore the phone and jailbreak it again.

The problem I've been having is with iTunes. iTunes 9 won't restore to firmware before 3.1, and obviously 3.1 hasn't been cracked. I've tried downloading itunes 8.2, but after installation, it won't start up and crashes upon launch. I've downloaded the ipsw file for 3.0, intending to restore the backup file, but I can't get iTunes to start, and I'm not sure if itunes 9 will allow restoring from that ipsw file(curious about the restrictions in place because of the new phone home code) so I haven't reinstalled it9(i also heard it leaves strings in the registry, so if you uninstall and downgrade to earlier versions of itunes, there's no difference).

I'm on a fresh install of Windows XP SP3. I'm now in China, using a chinese SIM card, and I don't know where the original ATT sim card is.

How should I go about restoring and jail breaking the phone?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!!!(please don't tell me I have to wait for Dev to crack 3.1, I needs me iphones nowwwww!!! ;))

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I just acquired an 16Gb iPhone 3GS, and had it taken out to be jail broken, which went smoothly(they downgraded 3.0.1 to 3.0 and unlocked it). I had been installing apps onto it, which mostly went fine as well until I installed winterboard via Cydia. Installation ran normal, until I was asked to restart. After restart, the phone failed to load and would hang on the boot up screen(apple logo) then turn off.

My research told me that it may be a problem with the memory, and that the phone was crashing while trying to load the icons/menu. I also have categories installed, so I'm not sure if that contributes as well. Solutions seem to be changing the app folder name temporarily(which I can't do since it wont turn on, and i don't have ssh installed), and not directly restarting after winterboard install, but jumping to menu then turning the phone off and on(which it's too late for).

I'm trying now to restore the phone and jailbreak it again.

The problem I've been having is with iTunes. iTunes 9 won't restore to firmware before 3.1, and obviously 3.1 hasn't been cracked. I've tried downloading itunes 8.2, but after installation, it won't start up and crashes upon launch. I've downloaded the ipsw file for 3.0, intending to restore the backup file, but I can't get iTunes to start, and I'm not sure if itunes 9 will allow restoring from that ipsw file(curious about the restrictions in place because of the new phone home code) so I haven't reinstalled it9(i also heard it leaves strings in the registry, so if you uninstall and downgrade to earlier versions of itunes, there's no difference).

I'm on a fresh install of Windows XP SP3. I'm now in China, using a chinese SIM card, and I don't know where the original ATT sim card is.

How should I go about restoring and jail breaking the phone?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!!!(please don't tell me I have to wait for Dev to crack 3.1, I needs me iphones nowwwww!!! ;))

Its not possible. Cross your fingers for a jailbreak to be released.

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Really? no way at all?If the internet connection is switched off to prevent phoning home, there's no way to restore from a backup? Argggggggggg.

No. Apple turned this feature off for 3gs. Saurik is working on a workaround, but it requires for your ECID to be on file with him already.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice