Hi All
    I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I haven't found a way of phrasing it within the search that would provide an answer...

I have iTunes 9, and a 3G, JB to 3.0 using pwnage tool 3.0 and unlocked w/ Ultrasn0w. I am on ATT, so the unlock was only to protect the option for the future.

1) Can I JB directly to 3.1 without updating to 3.01?

2) If I JB 3.1, will my phone remain unlocked or will I need to use Ultrasn0w again? Will the current version of Ultrasn0w unlock a JB 3.1?

I may have confused the issue, and don't want to proceed until I'm sure. Thanks for the help!
    Kristen
    09-18-2009 09:22 PM
    You can jailbreak directly to 3.1. You don't need to bother with 3.01. I never unlocked my phone, so not an expert with Ultrasnow, but have been jailbreaking since pre-2.0, and you always need to re-jailbreak after the updates, so I imagine it would be the same with Ultrasnow, that you'd need to re-unlock after the update and, no, the old version of Ultrasnow won't work. You need the new version made for the 3.1 OS.

Be aware that the jailbreak is only out for OS X right now. It hasn't been released for Windows yet.
    09-18-2009 09:29 PM
    Thanks
    I've JB 3 times so far, but this last time was the first time w/ the unlock (did it in case I want to give my iPhone to a friend on Tmo when the next iPhone comes out next summer) I guess I'm having a bit of a brain cramp I have a MacBook, so all is well
    09-18-2009 09:42 PM
    Wait u cannot update to 3.1 using iTunes n rejailvreak nd unlock if u do u might loose unlock forever u must update through pwnage tool
    09-19-2009 12:01 AM
    yeah....be aware that if you jailbreak 3.1 right now....that you could very well lose the ability to unlock in the future. I would wait if I were you. 3.1 provides nothing at all that justifies rushing out to update to it. You can get the MMS and tethering without 3.1...all you need is a carrier file for AT&T. Check out the Dev team's blog.
    09-19-2009 08:19 AM
    Now I'm REALLY confused... my interpretation of what I read on Dev Team was that it was safe/would preserve unlockability by upgrading to 3.1 using pwnage tool 3.1 with a pwnage tool created .ipsw. To clarify, I *do* know not to update to 3.1 through iTunes. I'm not interested in MMS, and I already have several apps, including NetShare for tethering. My main interest, aside from the fun of JB itself is that I'd love to make use of iTunes 9's ability to organize apps on pages. I have categories, and that's great, but I'd like the easier way to switch pages... Bottom line is can I JB w/ pwnage tool 3.1 so it remains unlockable for when Ultrasn0w 3.1 is available?
    09-19-2009 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD