Offical 3.1 Jailbreak Thread.

a_73_xis

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
GO DEV TEAM GO!!! you have my full support.. can't wait till u guys release 3.1 jailbreak.. now my iPhone 3G on "hibernate" mode...T_T... so sad...

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Darn. On mine it keeps saying they are doing Maintenance and will be rearranging the site.

Update - Back up for me now aswell. False alarm :( Although I don't remember seeing this before

"Update: We?re currently working on PwnageTool for 3.1, and will be sure to let you know when it?s available!"

Last edited:

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Darn. On mine it keeps saying they are doing Maintenance and will be rearranging the site.

Update - Back up for me now aswell. False alarm :( Although I don't remember seeing this before

"Update: We?re currently working on PwnageTool for 3.1, and will be sure to let you know when it?s available!"

I wouldn't look for a JB until after 3.1.1 is released. Any JB released now could theoretically be plugged by the 3.1.1 release.

So just chill, you have a week to wait.

boostd

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
my question is why if you update to 3.1 and lose your JB why wouldnt you ever be able to JB again? whats with the firmware? If the dev team makes pawnage tools fror 3.1 shouldnt you be able to Jb no matter if your phone is jb or not?

galactica2001

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
@boostd 3.1 is the FIRMWARE, however, apple added an update to the modem BASEWARE. If you have an Iphone 3GS and do the 3.1 upgrade it overwrites your IBSS/IBEC signature and therefore you "may" not ever be able to jailbreak again. If you have an Iphone 3G you can always go back and restore the 3.0.1 OS and jailbreak again. Apple blocked 3GS phones from restoring any firmware except 3.1 Currently the Dev_Team is working on a pwnage tool that applys the 3.1 upgrade without touching the baseware upgrade.

3GS Users Cannot Restore 3.0 | iPhone News, Help and Guides

neilied

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
ok so my 3g failed during a software download on cydia and wouldn't boot. so restored in itunes and stupidly upgraded to 3.1 have tried the downgrade by holding shift and restoring with both 3.0 and 3.0.1 this restores but when on the last verify bit i get an error and the iphone shows the iphone and usb logo. the instructions say to restart the iphone in dfu and go straight to jailbreak, i use redsn0w 0.8 and 3.0 IPSW. this does go through the jailbreak process and i get a phone with cydia installed. however the iphone due to the itunes fail, never activates so i'm left with no service.

is there a work around or can i (on a 3g) downgrade the baseband, i would wait for the next jailbreak for 3.1 but i'm on hols in 2 days and have now lost my european sat nav!!

help please folks!!

neil

Last edited:

wsaund#IM

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
From Dev Team

Future-proofing the 3GS jailbreak

If there?s one thing we?ve been stressing the last few weeks, it?s that if you want to keep the jailbreak or unlock on your 3GS, you should resist all urges to install Apple?s official firmware updates without knowing if a jailbreak exists for that version yet. Unless another (different) bootrom exploit is found for the 3GS that doesn?t require a ?foot in the door? with a signed official iBoot, then accepting official updates willy-nilly may cause you to be cutoff from the jailbreak. And it will definitely cause you to be cutoff from the carrier unlock.

Now, there are ways to ensure that even after taking an official 3GS update (which you really shouldn?t do!), that you?ll nonetheless be able to revert to a jailbreakable 3GS (this is NOT true for the unlock, see NOTE #1 below). We?ve been explaining these methods (like the iTunes /tmp technique) over the last few weeks, and there?s been some great discussion and feedback for the methods in the comments.

Having said all that, we realize that some of you updated your 3GS to 3.1 anyway. If you want to come back to the world of the jailbreak (but NOT the sim unlock, sorry!) then saurik?s new ?on file? server may be able to help. He?s got all the details in a new article so do check it out.

Even if you did not update your 3GS to official 3.1 (good job! You really shouldn?t do that!), then you should still read the article and make those changes today. We fully recommend redirecting your iTunes signing process through saurik?s ?on file? server to future-proof your 3GS jailbreak through all future updates.

AFTER ADJUSTING YOUR ITUNES SETUP, YOU SHOULD STILL AVOID DOING AN ACTUAL FIRMWARE UPDATE. For all the reasons mentioned in this post, you?ll lose the unlock forever, and lose the jailbreak until a new one for 3.1 comes out. And there?s no guarantee that your 3.0 signed files were captured by saurik in time. This is more about protecting your 3GS jailbreak in future updates ? it?s not a way to jailbreak 3.1 right now.

NOTE #1
: the carrier sim unlock is a different story. Jailbreaking and unlocking have two different security mechanisms, and if you update your 3GS (or 3G) to 3.1, you will lose your carrier unlock, possibly forever. Even if you downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0, you will have lost your carrier unlock. So if you think you?ll ever want to carrier unlock your 3G or 3GS (or maybe give it away or resell it later as an unlockable iPhone), then please stay clear of all official Apple IPSWs. You?ll soon be able to create custom 3.1 IPSWs using PwnageTool that let you pre-hack your 3.1 update in a way that preserves the carrier unlock.

NOTE #2
: The custom IPSW flow using PwnageTool also ensures that even if Apple fixes all the iBoot holes, you?ll still be able to retain your jailbreak through later updates. That?s because a jailbroken iPhone will happily accept a custom (pre-jailbroken) firmware update even though it?s not blessed with Apples signatures. This is the ?once jailbroken, always jailbroken? approach. It?s very powerful, but it requires you to only update to pre-hacked IPSWs.

NOTE #3
: None of this applies if you have an iPhone 2G, iPod touch 1G, or iPod touch 2G. The iPhone 3G is also unaffected by Apple?s signing process for the jailbreak, but it is susceptible to permanent loss of the carrier unlock as mentioned in note #1.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Pwnage Tool 3.1

"This is the low down on our tools for use with the 3.1 firmware from Apple, please read the whole post in full before attempting anything. Because of changes with Apple?s update techniques (that complicate the 3GS upgrade process) this will be a multipart release. This release starts with PwnageTool 3.1 for Mac OS X - this application supports the iPhone 1st Generation (2G), the iPhone 3G and the iPod touch 1G. NB: THIS DOES NOT SUPPORT THE 3GS OR 2G/3G IPOD TOUCH. redsn0w for Mac OS X and Windows will follow sometime in the near future, please don?t bug us about it - we?ll release when we have something ready."

Dev-Team Blog

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
From Dev Team

Future-proofing the 3GS jailbreak

If there?s one thing we?ve been stressing the last few weeks, it?s that if you want to keep the jailbreak or unlock on your 3GS, you should resist all urges to install Apple?s official firmware updates without knowing if a jailbreak exists for that version yet. Unless another (different) bootrom exploit is found for the 3GS that doesn?t require a ?foot in the door? with a signed official iBoot, then accepting official updates willy-nilly may cause you to be cutoff from the jailbreak. And it will definitely cause you to be cutoff from the carrier unlock.

Now, there are ways to ensure that even after taking an official 3GS update (which you really shouldn?t do!), that you?ll nonetheless be able to revert to a jailbreakable 3GS (this is NOT true for the unlock, see NOTE #1 below). We?ve been explaining these methods (like the iTunes /tmp technique) over the last few weeks, and there?s been some great discussion and feedback for the methods in the comments.

Having said all that, we realize that some of you updated your 3GS to 3.1 anyway. If you want to come back to the world of the jailbreak (but NOT the sim unlock, sorry!) then saurik?s new ?on file? server may be able to help. He?s got all the details in a new article so do check it out.

Even if you did not update your 3GS to official 3.1 (good job! You really shouldn?t do that!), then you should still read the article and make those changes today. We fully recommend redirecting your iTunes signing process through saurik?s ?on file? server to future-proof your 3GS jailbreak through all future updates.

AFTER ADJUSTING YOUR ITUNES SETUP, YOU SHOULD STILL AVOID DOING AN ACTUAL FIRMWARE UPDATE. For all the reasons mentioned in this post, you?ll lose the unlock forever, and lose the jailbreak until a new one for 3.1 comes out. And there?s no guarantee that your 3.0 signed files were captured by saurik in time. This is more about protecting your 3GS jailbreak in future updates ? it?s not a way to jailbreak 3.1 right now.

NOTE #1
: the carrier sim unlock is a different story. Jailbreaking and unlocking have two different security mechanisms, and if you update your 3GS (or 3G) to 3.1, you will lose your carrier unlock, possibly forever. Even if you downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0, you will have lost your carrier unlock. So if you think you?ll ever want to carrier unlock your 3G or 3GS (or maybe give it away or resell it later as an unlockable iPhone), then please stay clear of all official Apple IPSWs. You?ll soon be able to create custom 3.1 IPSWs using PwnageTool that let you pre-hack your 3.1 update in a way that preserves the carrier unlock.

NOTE #2
: The custom IPSW flow using PwnageTool also ensures that even if Apple fixes all the iBoot holes, you?ll still be able to retain your jailbreak through later updates. That?s because a jailbroken iPhone will happily accept a custom (pre-jailbroken) firmware update even though it?s not blessed with Apples signatures. This is the ?once jailbroken, always jailbroken? approach. It?s very powerful, but it requires you to only update to pre-hacked IPSWs.

NOTE #3
: None of this applies if you have an iPhone 2G, iPod touch 1G, or iPod touch 2G. The iPhone 3G is also unaffected by Apple?s signing process for the jailbreak, but it is susceptible to permanent loss of the carrier unlock as mentioned in note #1.

Will this later be applied to Redsn0w? I haven't used Pwnage tool since July because Redsn0w is so much faster.

neilied

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Are you using pwnage?

Are you talking about the "Are you legit iphone?"?

not using pwnage. am using itunes 8.2 for first restore and directing it to 3.0.1 IPSW then using redsn0w 0.8 for the jailbreak.

is it pos to downgrade iphone 3g baseband back to the 3.0 version aswell as the firmware

galactica2001

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site
From what I have read you can not downgrade the baseware, but should be able to downgrade the firmware. This means you should be able to jailbreak, but I don't think you will be able to unlock yet

neilied

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
not overly bothered about the unlock as i am in the uk and have a decent contract with O2 but when doing as i said the iphone doesn't activate so no network!!

so using itunes to restore to 3.0.1 or 3.0 then getting error and iphone going into recovery then using redsn0w 0.8 to jailbreak. = no activation therefor no network

help!

neil

nickanglin89

Aug 26, 2009
www.facebook.com
this may be a stupid Q but thought i'd ask, if we update an app thru iTunes or our iPhone will that mess up the JB & Unlock? i've noticed a few app updates have said in order to sync you must be on 3.1