upgraded 3g to 3.1 now the phone is locked! help please!

angel505

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
hi everyone,
i bought a used iphone 3g 16gb about 2 weeks ago, knowing little about mobile phones when i synced today with itunes it asked me to update from 3.0 to 3.1 which i did :(

i'm on orange contract and it appears the phone is now locked to 02, please please does anyone know how i can unlock it again. will there be an unlock coming out soon and if so does anyone know where i can get it please?

angel :(

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
The only option you now have is to use the phone as a paperweight until there is a jailbreak/unlock for 3.1 from the dev team.

Other than that, you could TRY rolling back to 3.0.1 or 3.0 by manually installing an ipsw through iTunes. (download the older firmware, then open iTunes, click option [its alt on a pc i believe] and while holding it down, click restore, then manually select the older firmware and see if it will let you roll it back to an older version that IS unlockable)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
The only option you now have is to use the phone as a paperweight until there is a jailbreak/unlock for 3.1 from the dev team.

Other than that, you could TRY rolling back to 3.0.1 or 3.0 by manually installing an ipsw through iTunes. (download the older firmware, then open iTunes, click option [its alt on a pc i believe] and while holding it down, click restore, then manually select the older firmware and see if it will let you roll it back to an older version that IS unlockable)

Even if the OP was successful in doing this the modem firmware will not roll back still rendering the phone useless. There is no way to fix this until or even if the Dev Team comes up with something.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Even if the OP was successful in doing this the modem firmware will not roll back still rendering the phone useless. There is no way to fix this until or even if the Dev Team comes up with something.

I didn't know if the baseband or modem firmware changed this time. Thanks for the heads up. I actually just restored my phone. I'll jailbreak later on after MMS is released and there's a jailbreak for 3.1. lol

hghflyrjd1

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Ok wait. I'm lost. If u have 3.1. U can't jailbreak it or unlock it EVER? EVER? or is it that we just have to wait for the 3.1 to be figured out? And are there certain jailbroken things that won't work on 3.1 yet?

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Ok wait. I'm lost. If u have 3.1. U can't jailbreak it or unlock it EVER? EVER? or is it that we just have to wait for the 3.1 to be figured out? And are there certain jailbroken things that won't work on 3.1 yet?

I don't think there really is a never ever, just a matter of "when".

You'll have to wait for the dev team to crack 3.1 and release a tool to jailbreak/unlock.

hghflyrjd1

Jul 20, 2009
Visit site
Ok I just got this 3g with a cracked screen for 50bucks. So Im gonna replace the glass but it was on 3.1 and I didn't even know they were comeing out with a new one. So I wanted to jailbreak it but it didn't work when I directed It to 3.0. So I tried putting it back to 3.0 with iTunes. Anyone know of a sure way to get back to 3.0

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Ok I just got this 3g with a cracked screen for 50bucks. So Im gonna replace the glass but it was on 3.1 and I didn't even know they were comeing out with a new one. So I wanted to jailbreak it but it didn't work when I directed It to 3.0. So I tried putting it back to 3.0 with iTunes. Anyone know of a sure way to get back to 3.0

Well that's always an issue because the modem firmware changes. You are probably stuck with 3.1 for a while.

There's never a guarantee on jailbreaks and when the dev team will come out with one, but it normally isn't too long. Sometimes it's longer on a major release though.

angel505

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I'll wait til dev team come up with an unlock/jailbreak for 3.1. In the meantime 02 have won cause I've put an 02 sim in it and will have to use that for a while. boo.

I'm not going to try rolling back to 3.0 or restore or anything cause I read somewhere that it can block the phone so that no sim works!
At least at the moment I can use 02 sim, so its slightly better than a paperweight, or as a few people say to me "a very expensive brick" lol.

angel.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner