OK y'all looks like the update is about to drop. Let's use this thread as our HQ for all things 3.1 JB.

I'm Soooo excited.

I already grabbed my iBEC and iBSS and my ECID. Hope you have.

1. What else do you do to prepare for a update and JB?
    2. Do you do it all @ one time or do you live with the new update for a few days then JB?
    3. Will you update right away or are there things you must have to feel good about your iPhone? (mine is 3G Unrestrictor. I must have that app so I do both @ the same time.)

What are y'all hearing about 3.1? Will the JB be out @ the same time or will we all have to wait. I am reading all over that there is an unlock issue since I don't unlock I'm not as concerned, but if you do what are yours?

I have at least 2 programs that don't sync so I'm going to lose data but I guess that isn't that bad. But I hope we get the A2DP remote control profile. I know we won't but I can't wait.
    09-08-2009 04:11 PM
    I'm on a jailbroken 3G[s] and I have a question.

Why would I need to get my iBEC and iBSS and my ECID?

What are they and what do they do?

And how do I obtain this information?
    09-08-2009 04:36 PM
    Huh? What are you talkin bout?
    09-08-2009 07:27 PM
    I'm also excited about 3.1 but more excited about the arranging icons from itunes in the new version as rumored if it happens. There are a few threads that ask but I'll answer again. I will stay JB until 3.1 is JB and then upgrade and JB all at once. There aren't enough features in 3.1 that I can't wait. I didn't bother to get 3.0.1

"I have at least 2 programs that don't sync so I'm going to lose data but I guess that isn't that bad." If you're JB why don't you just SSH or use iPhone Explorer to get into your phone and back up the data yourself?? before they made the ability to backup notes I used to backup the db file for notes so I wouldn't lose my notes everytime I did an upgrade.
    09-08-2009 11:32 PM
    I'm on a jailbroken 3G[s] and I have a question.

Why would I need to get my iBEC and iBSS and my ECID?

What are they and what do they do?

And how do I obtain this information?
    Apparently these files are needed for JBing 3.1 or down the road.
    ---
    Geohot and Dev team has advised users to save their iBEC and iBSS Signature Certificates of iPhone OS 3.0 for upcoming Jailbreak tools. The reason being that, Apple has injected a new layer of security, the ECID field to the iPhone 3GS. When iTunes starts the restore process, they contact Apple servers to generate signatures just for your iPhone 3GS. Make sure you get these signatures for your phone before a new version of the software comes out. These signatures are extremely Important for future 3GS Jailbreaks for you iPhone.
    ---
    This site has developed a tool for getting them easier Link. The other way of getting them was so hard I thought I was going to break my phone.
    09-09-2009 10:04 AM
    I'm also excited about 3.1 but more excited about the arranging icons from itunes in the new version as rumored if it happens. There are a few threads that ask but I'll answer again. I will stay JB until 3.1 is JB and then upgrade and JB all at once. There aren't enough features in 3.1 that I can't wait. I didn't bother to get 3.0.1

"I have at least 2 programs that don't sync so I'm going to lose data but I guess that isn't that bad." If you're JB why don't you just SSH or use iPhone Explorer to get into your phone and back up the data yourself?? before they made the ability to backup notes I used to backup the db file for notes so I wouldn't lose my notes everytime I did an upgrade.
    I totally forgot about using SSH to grab the data I could lose.
    The data is minimal. I guess should do it. It'll give me something to do anyways.
    09-09-2009 10:07 AM
    I wonder how long it will take for the team to JB 3.1.

I'm looking forward to bluetooth file transfers, what about everyone else?
    09-09-2009 10:20 AM
    Geohot and Dev team has advised users to save their iBEC and iBSS Signature Certificates of iPhone OS 3.0 for upcoming Jailbreak tools. The reason being that, Apple has injected a new layer of security, the ECID field to the iPhone 3GS. When iTunes starts the restore process, they contact Apple servers to generate signatures just for your iPhone 3GS. Make sure you get these signatures for your phone before a new version of the software comes out. These signatures are extremely Important for future 3GS Jailbreaks for you iPhone.

What about regular ol' 3G?
    09-09-2009 02:37 PM
    So I'm impatient and I want 3.1 today -- is there a way to go back go an unjailbroken phone without losing all my recent text messages/calls? I.E. I don't want to restore back to a month an a half ago.
    Do a backup right now. Set up as a new phone, then restore from a backup.
    09-09-2009 02:55 PM
    What about regular ol' 3G?
    That I don't know about. I just always hear that the 3gs is the one with the possible issue. I think it was because of the baseband. But I could be wrong.

Anyone know?
    09-09-2009 02:55 PM
    Do a backup right now. Set up as a new phone, then restore from a backup.
    When you JB you shouldn't restore from a backup. You should set it up as a new iphone.

I think there is a way to use SSH to save your txt messages. You can also download the iPhone browser and do it. I use iPhone browser if I use my PC.

I'll do some investigative work on that.

Here is one link so far

Backing up your iPhone SMS and Contacts via SSH
    Last edited by xultar; 09-09-2009 at 03:01 PM.
    09-09-2009 02:58 PM
    When you JB you shouldn't restore from a backup. You should set it up as a new iphone.

I think there is a way to use SSH to save your txt messages.

I'll do some investigative work on that.
    Oh! I thought he just wanted to go back to an unjailbroken phone.
    09-09-2009 03:01 PM
    Oh! I thought he just wanted to go back to an unjailbroken phone.
    You are right. Working and posting seems to impair my reading comprehension.

Yes, he'll loose all his stuff I think...
    09-09-2009 03:15 PM
    I'm on iPod Touch 3.0 jb. Is it possible to upgrade to 3.1 without restoring? Will I lose my data?
    09-09-2009 03:55 PM
    I totally forgot about using SSH to grab the data I could lose.
    The data is minimal. I guess should do it. It'll give me something to do anyways.
    I say do it if it wont take long. Even easier than SSH Iphone Explorer(Mac) or Iphone Browser(Windows) will allow you to browse your JB phone.

What I'm looking forward to is being able to re-arrange my app icons in Itunes. There are other things that are pretty cool but nothing major for me.
    09-09-2009 06:53 PM
    i can't wait til the Dev team hacks 3.1 it's gonna be awesome i wonder how long it will take them??
    09-09-2009 07:03 PM
    Yeah for me the most exciting feature I want to use is re-arranging my apps from Itunes. I've got Itunes 9 so just waiting on the 3.1 JB
    09-10-2009 09:02 AM
    I have a 3Gs running 3.0 which I jailbroke using purplera1n when I got it. I never got the IBSS files, never saw the recommendation to do so until now. Can I still do this? I've never done a restore of any kind and I'm afraid now as I've seen people saying they can't downgrade to 3.0/3.01. Does anyone know?
    09-10-2009 01:13 PM
    I have a 3Gs running 3.0 which I jailbroke using purplera1n when I got it. I never got the IBSS files, never saw the recommendation to do so until now. Can I still do this? I've never done a restore of any kind and I'm afraid now as I've seen people saying they can't downgrade to 3.0/3.01. Does anyone know?
    It is my understanding that you have to do it on a restored non JB phone, not on a JB phone.

Follow this link to learn how...Link
    09-10-2009 09:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD