Hi all.

Im new over here, been reading and commenting blog fair frequently. nice to now join in on the forum side!

Now before I ask my Q, I'd just like to state that I read the FAQ and had a quick search but I wasn't sure what exactly to search in the forums to find the answer is - so I am sorry if that has been asked/answered/exhausted by noobs like me.

Anyway, My Q is, I want to jailbreak my iPhone 3g - however I am reluctant to lose my synced stuff, mainly my SMS's etc. So.... once I jailbreak, can you restore you're iphone to its previous state as you could with a normal apple update?

Please & Thanks in advance for a response

Sam
    09-04-2009 06:15 AM
    When you finish jailbreaking, the only way you'll know you've done it is you'll have a new icon for Cydia. Beyond that, everything on your iPhone will be exactly like it was before you started the process, including your SMS, installed apps, data, etc. If you want to restore and lose the jailbreak, you can.
    09-04-2009 06:54 AM
    It is suggested that you jailbreak as a new phone, which looses any SMS conversations that you have stored. Always jailbreak form new, not from a backup. You basically have to reset your phone settings and e-mail set-ups. You will be able to sync your iTunes w/o problem, but it takes a while if you have a lot of data.
    09-04-2009 01:44 PM
    I'm curious. What are the advantages of jailbreaking a new phone, and if it isn't should you restore the phone to it's original form before you jailbreak it?

- fizz

It is suggested that you jailbreak as a new phone, which looses any SMS conversations that you have stored. Always jailbreak form new, not from a backup. You basically have to reset your phone settings and e-mail set-ups. You will be able to sync your iTunes w/o problem, but it takes a while if you have a lot of data.
    09-04-2009 10:20 PM
    Thanks all for your responses!

Sorry, I didnt quite understand this. So if I restore my iphone to a new phone, then jailbreak as recommended. Once thats done, can I restore it to put all my SMS etc back on? Or do I simply have to start again with a blank phone?
    09-05-2009 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD