For the knowledgeable members, please answer a few questions if you would? I have a 3GS with 3.0.1:

1) The IPSW download places a Zip'd file on my desktop. Is it correct to just change this to an IPSW extension? Extracting doesn't seem to be the solution. Changing the extension changed the icon, but want to verify before I initiate any JB process.

2) When a phone is JB'd, does this negate updating new software from Apple when it becomes available? For example, if 3.1 has new features I may want, how would one then go about upgrading a jailbroken phone in the future to take advantage of these new features? Just trying to connect the dots on how this all works, if someone could give me an overview.

3) When jailbroken, does the sync'ing process with iTunes still work exactly the same? No problems or known issues?

Appreciate any responses. I have been scouring to put this together, but these two issues are still unclear to me. Thanks in advance, Don
    08-29-2009 01:45 PM
    1. When you download a IPSW just leave it how it is.
    2. You can still update jailbroken iPhones I would suggest to restore as new first.
    3. Yes you still sync a jailbroken iPhone.
    08-29-2009 01:48 PM
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply Tramain! Just to be very clear, the download should stay as a compressed (Zipped) folder, correct?
    08-29-2009 01:56 PM
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply Tramain! Just to be very clear, the download should stay as a compressed (Zipped) folder, correct?
    Yes and browse it in redsn0w
    08-29-2009 01:58 PM
    The file you download is an .ipsw file. "ipsw" is the file extension. If you downloaded it as a .ZIP file, change the file extension so that redsn0w will recognize it as an IPSW file.

Download from here if you are having problems. Make sure you get the 3.0 file.

As far as when Apple does an update, that will unjailbreak your phone and you will have to do the jailbreak again as soon as it's available for the update.
    08-29-2009 03:19 PM
    Thanks Alli. I'm curious as to why there exists a 3.0.1 version, but we aren't to use it? I don't doubt you, but just wondering why. I'd assume that confuses others as well. Thanks for your help.
    08-30-2009 12:56 AM
    If youre downloading it with safari, it will "unzip" it. Download it with firefox and this will avoid this.
    08-30-2009 01:01 AM
    Mostly because the dev team didn't need the 3.0.1 file. They had already done what was needed on the 3.0 file - no reason to re-invent the wheel for the 3.0.1 file if the the 3.0 file worked on a phone with 3.0.1 installed. (Does that make sense?)
    08-30-2009 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD