Edit or make your own themes Tutorial (2.x/3.x)

Rayman2170

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
Hey I just recently returned to the jailbreak scene (thanks blackRa1n). when I was jailbroke in the 2.x days I could overlay a transparent image on top of my lockscreen background using a LockBackground.html file with winterboard. but now instead of doing that it makes the entire backround black then overlays the transparent image. I was just wondering if this was apples doing and/or if this is fixable or if a workaround is available.

I have attached some example images. first is what it used to look like in 2.x , and the other how it looks in 3.x

Same phone, same html file. The only things that have changed are 1. firmware version and 2. I used blackra1n instead of the dev-teams pwnage tool. can someone who used the pwnage tool plz confirm if you are experiencing this as well now.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
hmm that's an interesting problem. i would say, restore your phone, and use pwnagetool, see if that fixes your issues. seems like a lot of folks had trouble with blackra1n breaking some files. i am not sure...but i was having a LOT of issues after using blackra1n, i couldn't even get themes to load, then i restored and used pwnagetool, all is fine.

Hey I just recently returned to the jailbreak scene (thanks blackRa1n). when I was jailbroke in the 2.x days I could overlay a transparent image on top of my lockscreen background using a LockBackground.html file with winterboard. but now instead of doing that it makes the entire backround black then overlays the transparent image. I was just wondering if this was apples doing and/or if this is fixable or if a workaround is available.

I have attached some example images. first is what it used to look like in 2.x , and the other how it looks in 3.x

Same phone, same html file. The only things that have changed are 1. firmware version and 2. I used blackra1n instead of the dev-teams pwnage tool. can someone who used the pwnage tool plz confirm if you are experiencing this as well now.

Rayman2170

Jan 30, 2009
Visit site
it's just Everything else works fine, it's weird. I can use overlays
on the springboard just not on the lockscreen. That's why I thought it
was apple's doing.

You say you jailbroke with pwnagetool, can you just test it for me and
see if you're able to overlay a small transparent image on top of the
background with a LockBackground.html file. It would save me alot of
time if I knew if the problem existed in both jailbreak methods.

i attached a simple theme that, if it works, should overlay a smiley face over whatever your lockscreen background is. If yours is also broken it will just be a smiley over a black background. just put the "Lockscreen test.theme" folder in your winterboard themes, tell me if it works and if you can please send a screenshot of your results.

Thanx in advance ;)

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
it's just Everything else works fine, it's weird. I can use overlays
on the springboard just not on the lockscreen. That's why I thought it
was apple's doing.

You say you jailbroke with pwnagetool, can you just test it for me and
see if you're able to overlay a small transparent image on top of the
background with a LockBackground.html file. It would save me alot of
time if I knew if the problem existed in both jailbreak methods.

i attached a simple theme that, if it works, should overlay a smiley face over whatever your lockscreen background is. If yours is also broken it will just be a smiley over a black background. just put the "Lockscreen test.theme" folder in your winterboard themes, tell me if it works and if you can please send a screenshot of your results.

Thanx in advance ;)

I didn't have time to try it, but I can tell you this, I am pretty sure the issue is the way the springboard is caching icons and backgrounds after 3.1.2 - Apple changed the way files point in certain folders. That's the issue w/ icons not changing size w/ themes, etc...so I'd bet money that's probably what is causing your bg issue.

The way I fixed the icon issue was to delete the cached copies of icons and then they'd resize. You'd have to find the folder or element in the phone that's causing the background image to cache and probably delete the cached one for it to work.

I'm sure Cydia will release an update to this, or the makers of themes, etc...but until they do, we'll have to find fixes.

jrpierce

May 29, 2009
Visit site
So I'm in the process of going through the first tutorial about creating the simple theme, but I need to find the 3 .png files needed.
StatusBar.png
Wallpaper.png
SBDockBG.png

Is there anyone that has them, am I supposed to create them, or is there a website to find stuff like this?

Any help is appreciated.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
So I'm in the process of going through the first tutorial about creating the simple theme, but I need to find the 3 .png files needed.
StatusBar.png
Wallpaper.png
SBDockBG.png

Is there anyone that has them, am I supposed to create them, or is there a website to find stuff like this?

Any help is appreciated.

Well those are the file names for the top status bar that carries the carrier logo etc, the background wallpaper, and the dock background, and you are supposed to create them or use ones that you like. You replace the default ones with that.

Well not REPLACE, but create a new theme and you create those files.

I use deviant art as well as several other places to find docks, icons and wallpapers that I like.

Skywalker

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
StatusBar.png
Wallpaper.png
SBDockBG.png

Any help is appreciated.

I started out by downloading a well detailed theme. I looked through the file to see how things were organized...file names, locations, and sizes. This is one good way to see how things are done. Dowanload an SBSettings theme as well.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I started out by downloading a well detailed theme. I looked through the file to see how things were organized...file names, locations, and sizes. This is one good way to see how things are done. Dowanload an SBSettings theme as well.

This is true.

When you SSH into your phone, under themes you will see the themes you downloaded from Cydia and such, take a look at how those are organized, and model yours after that.

I sometimes like different elements from different themes, so I may just take pieces of each theme that I like and create a new one to my liking that way.

Just depends on how much time you want to spend on it. You can make your own images in photoshop or you can borrow from other themes and use those.

sargd66

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Okay I finally made the huge step for me and installed ssh. The lates theme I downloaded is Carbon Ovation. No problem s getting to the theme itself inside of ssh, I found it. I downloaded a new mail ring tone and it shows in winterboard and I found it in ssh. I also found all the tones for the Carbon theme in ssh. Now how do I over ride the carbon new mail tone with the one I down loaded. Whew, did I make sense with this question? Looking forward to this new step but I will take small steps.

Edit: Thanks to iMuggle very good tutorial at the begining of this thread I got this done myself, woohoo!! Amazing what you can accomplish if you read first, maybe I should have done that in the first place. Anyway thanks iMuggle for this post Im sure I will still have more questions as I go deeper into this ssh experience.

Last edited:

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
How could I make a theme that simply takes all the icons and squishes it into a circle? That would have to do with coding right? Because it's different from replacing a Certain icon with a preset icon, you would be changing each icon In runtime (I know all winterboard themes change at runtime, but the icons are already preset, I want to distort each icon on springboard into a little circle so each app has an icon, similar to how illumine trims off the edges of the icon if it doesn't have a set icon for it

Raeki

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Well in case anyone wants to know, to use a mask you make the PNG file (make sure you have absolutely no transparency, to make sure just save it in Microsoft Paint (Accessories) as a JPEG and then save the JPEG as a PNG again); then you put it (SSH) into the UIImages folder of the theme, exactly named as AppIconMask.png (case sensitive)

Hope that helps :)

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know how to change the icon from a saved webpage?

I have a few pages that I visit often. I saved them to my home screen. The problem is that the image that automatically saves is a mess. I want to change it to something else.

I have already successfully changed many of the other home screen icons, but I can not find the bookmark icons.

any help would be great.

Robert Waldroup

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I've tried a couple of the theme suggestions on this thread and they're solid. The green on grey is especially sharp. Learning how to SSH into your phone is an invaluable skill.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice