Is there an Idiots Guide to Jailbreaking??

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You want the 3GS 3.0/7A341.

There is no need to revert back to 3.0 if you are already on 3.0.1. Just point redsn0w to that 3.0 file and it makes the necessary changes. When the process is complete you will see that you are still on 3.0.1.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com

There is no need to revert back to 3.0 if you are already on 3.0.1. Just point redsn0w to that 3.0 file and it makes the necessary changes. When the process is complete you will see that you are still on 3.0.1.

<cross fingers> ok, thanks Alli. i'll try it again tonight after work. so hope it works... </cross fingers>

billyeha66

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
If it already reset my system to 3.0, should I upgrade back to 3.0.1 or leave it at 3.0 and if so, is that going to be a lengthy process again? Will I lose all of the jailbroke apps that I've already installed?

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
If it already reset my system to 3.0, should I upgrade back to 3.0.1 or leave it at 3.0 and if so, is that going to be a lengthy process again? Will I lose all of the jailbroke apps that I've already installed?

eesh. since i have had zero success thus far with my JB attempts, i'll let someone else answer you. personally, i would just stick with 3.0 for now. i don't notice that many improvements between the 2 OS's. plus, it would be a long process of restoring & re-installing the OS then jailbreaking again.

jonluke

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site

Hi iPhone forum... I am new here. SO greetings to all. I am in trying to jailbreak/unlock a new iPhone 3GS. I have downloaded what I thought were the IPSW files. but when they get to my computer they come out as ZIP/RAR files. I saw on someone elses post that changing the .zip to .ipsw is all that I need to do. Is this correct?

Regards

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
Hi iPhone forum... I am new here. SO greetings to all. I am in trying to jailbreak/unlock a new iPhone 3GS. I have downloaded what I thought were the IPSW files. but when they get to my computer they come out as ZIP/RAR files. I saw on someone elses post that changing the .zip to .ipsw is all that I need to do. Is this correct?

Regards

i think i just read this discussion somewhere else. did you respond with what internet browser you were trying to download from? i use firefox and have no problems. i know google chrome and internet explorer can be quirky at times. try firefox and see if you have any better luck.

i've downloaded the IPSW files before and they opened just fine. don't think the a 'mac vs. PC' issue makes any difference when talking about IPSW files, but just to be sure...which are you using?

jonluke

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
I went ahead and changed the extension to .ipsw and it seemed to work so far... but only gives me the option to install Cydia and Icy.... no option to unlock...

any input?

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
i believe there is a tool called UltraSn0w found in Cydia. it will allow you to unlock your iPhone for other carriers. so obviously, you have to successfully JB your iPhone first in order to get it. then install UltraSn0w.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
To all the new guys in here jailbreaking, if you have a 3G S (well any iPhone for that matter), if you're running 3.0.1, make SURE you're downloading the correct 3.0 ipsw.

If you download the wrong one, you're phone will be very unhappy with you and you'll have to force it into DFU, restore, and try again with the correct bundle. We've had a few people download the wrong bundle and try and install, it's a common mistake, but to not waste your own time, just double check before using.

I believe the 3GS filename bundle has a 2,1 in it, the 3G as a 1,2 and I believe the 2nd gen is 1,1...someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know for sure the 3G S is known by 2,1

jonluke

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
but when reading the info on the Windows version of this JB, it says "This will NOT work with iPhone 3GS." and the OP is a 3gs user (as am i). so what are our options?? i've used this tutorial to no avail and i've tried Tramain's recommended way. neither worked for me.

thanks alot jg.... I successfully JB my 3gs and used ultrasnow to unlock.....
High Five

billyeha66

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
imuggle, maybe you can answer my previous question. I have a 3gs that was operating on the 3.0.1 but when I jailbroke it using one of the methods I found here, it reset it to the 3.0. It's jailbroke and seems to work fine but don't I need the 3.0.1 OS or does it matter? If I do need it, how would I go about restoring it while keeping it jailbroken?

Last edited:

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
imuggle, maybe you can answer my previous question. I have a 3gs that was operating on the 3.0.1 but when I jailbroke it using one of the methods I found here, it reset it to the 3.0. It's jailbroke and seems to work fine but don't I need the 3.0.1 OS or does it matter? If I do need it, how would I go about restoring it while keeping it jailbroken?

Well, I highly recommend 3.0.1 as with it, Apple fixed an SMS vulnerability that was pretty serious.

And here is the con of jailbreaking, you pretty much can't "keep" a jailbreak to upgrade. You have to re-jailbreak. Not really that bad though. You have to download the 3.0 .ipsw for the 3GS

For everyone looking for firmware, I use this site a lot:

iPhone and iPod Touch Firmware :: iPhone System Software Updates Downloads.

That site has it, download it from there to your computer in a place you will be able to navigate easily to (I just save them to my desktop in a folder called iPhone FW)

just make sure you download the 3.0 for the 3G S if that is what you have.

Then you have to get redsn0w version 0.8, run that, it'll ask you to navigate to your current firmware version, navigate to that 3.0 ipsw i gave you a link to, and voila, you are done, jailbroken on 3.0.1

There is an app in Cydia that will allow you to create a restore file of your jailbroken settings, it is called AptBackup if you'd like to use that to backup your jailbroken stuff. I normally don't as I just redownload the themes, but I could see if you have a bunch of stuff, not wanting to redownload.

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
HI-OH! i finally got it to work. installed successfully and Cydia is present. hallelujah!

i followed some instructions on this forum that said to make sure the phone is powered off the and connected to USB. i would then enter DFU mode by holding power, then power & home keys, then home key by itself. thats when redsn0w would crash on me.

well, i kept iPhone ON this time and connected to USB. THEN launched redsn0w. it gave me a different set of instructions to disconnect then power off, then hold home key and reconnect, THEN launch redsn0w. it took off right away installing the hack. such an easy thing that i made into a difficult thing. but the directions are misleading on the original post. unless i'm reading them wrong. http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/25/jailbreakunlock-iphone-30-windows-redsn0w-edition/

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
any guides to jailbreak 3gs? any links? so here is where i am at...

redsn0w 0.8 Windows
iPhone 3G S 3.0 ipsw

am i right so far?

Yep just make sure you have the right ipsw, as the 1st gen, 3G and 3G S all use separate ones. The 3G S ones should have a 2,1 in the filename.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice