well thats how I got to this mess.. I tried to follow steps on iClarified to do 3.0 FW on 2G iphone with redsn0w 0.8 and iphone did not see my t-mobile SIM, no matter what I did.. so then I started searching for other alternatives, since I could not downgrade to 2.2.1 on itunes at that time.. I found old post and downloaded bootneuter and played arround with it. i tried all different itunes and both redsn0w 0.7 and 0.8 to make my iphone see my sim, but had no luck, I had no problem qickpwn my wife's 2g with 2.2.1 without a problem, and she still uses it
    well that's because 2.2.1 was compatible with quickpwn, 3.0 changed the game, so to speak.

after you jailbreak 3.0 or 3.0.1, you have to add the ultrasn0w repository to cydia in order to unlock. that is probably why the iphone wasn't recognizing your tmobile SIM. you completed the jailbreak aspect, but did not follow through all the way to the end of the unlocking process.
    09-01-2009 02:49 AM
    Follow these steps exactly and you will be fine:

1. Backup and restore your phone and upgrade to the stock 3.0.1 through iTunes

2. Download the 3.0 ipsw for your phone, since you have the 2nd gen, here is a link, download this...

http://www.tinyurl.com/quickpwn3

3. Download redsn0w 0.8 here...

redsn0w

4. Copied from the dev's website: When you select the firmware, choose the 3.0 firmware instead of the 3.0.1 firmware. This is safe and it works!

Update: If your iPhone 3GS is stuck on Waiting for reboot unplug your USB cable and plug it back in.

Now you are NOT done.... here are the steps to UNLOCK...

1. Follow the steps above to jailbreak your iPhone.

2. Once your iPhone is jailbroken, open Cydia.

3. Add repo666.ultrasn0w.com to your sources

4. Install ultrasn0w, and reboot!

5. Now your iPhone should be unlocked.
    09-01-2009 02:54 AM
    Isn't Ultrasn0W is for 3G and 3GS only?! Not for 2G.. I forgot to mention that when I did try to unlock it with redsn0w all those times before I bricked the phone, I did download ultrasn0w from Cydia just in case, but it did not work either. Then I read that I do not need ultrasn0w for 2G, but then I started reading that 2G phones had problems unlocking with 3.0 and that 2G works best still on 2.2.1 and that people are waiting for quickpnw 3.0 to come out for 3.0 FW.

I will follow those steps, but at this point, I might have the 1.1.4 FW on the phone, but I still do not have the baseband and all my firware for the hardware is missing still?! Don't I need to manually flash them on the phone through the mobile terminal first, like people did a year ago in these old school threads?! with Total Commander, iLiberty, iPlus, and ienew and iunew?!
    09-01-2009 09:17 AM
    Isn't Ultrasn0W is for 3G and 3GS only?! Not for 2G.. I forgot to mention that when I did try to unlock it with redsn0w all those times before I bricked the phone, I did download ultrasn0w from Cydia just in case, but it did not work either. Then I read that I do not need ultrasn0w for 2G, but then I started reading that 2G phones had problems unlocking with 3.0 and that 2G works best still on 2.2.1 and that people are waiting for quickpnw 3.0 to come out for 3.0 FW.

I will follow those steps, but at this point, I might have the 1.1.4 FW on the phone, but I still do not have the baseband and all my firware for the hardware is missing still?! Don't I need to manually flash them on the phone through the mobile terminal first, like people did a year ago in these old school threads?! with Total Commander, iLiberty, iPlus, and ienew and iunew?!
    ultrasn0w works with the 2G. I don't know why people would tell you it wouldn't. If you followed those steps exactly and it didn't work, you did something wrong. Many people unlock their 2Gs with ultrasn0w and redsn0w. There is absolutely no reason for you to be on 2.2.1 or especially 1.1.4.

I do not know anything about mobileterminal or any of those programs as I've strayed away from them and never had a need for them. So as far as that goes, I don't know.
    09-01-2009 10:35 AM
    yea.. Well I will try to go up to 3.0.1.. I hope it flashes the baseband on the phone and all my MAC addresses that are missing in the general settings. I am not sure it will do the trick. The reason I went to 1.1.4 is to try to put any kind of firmware on the phone and try to flash the baseband on the phone so i get my wi-fi and the ability to make calls on the phone, and then upgrade to the latest and greatest..
    09-01-2009 10:39 AM
    OK as some of you suggested since now it looks like I was successfully Restored iPhone with 1.1.4 FW but still it didn ot Flash my Baseband and I am still missing all the hardware FW for wi-fi and the phone and still have Repair Needed POP UP on the screen, I upgraded the iTunes to 8.2.0.23 and tried to Shift Restore from DFU mode to 3.0.1 FW I downloaded as a iswp file, but still got error 23 in iTunes:

And as some of you suggested to try to JB with iLiberty+ and then transfer needed files to iphone with Total Commander (which I still do not know how to do) and then use Mobile Terminal to run commands and programs to manually force firmware missing on to the iphone CommBoard and see if it works, I follow correct steps but get this error in iLiberty:

How can I JB if iLiberty needs phone to pair withitunes but i do not have ATT SIM so the 7.5 itunes does not see the phone so as I assume will then allow iliberty to JB the phone so I can do the following to proceed, am I missing something?!
    09-01-2009 09:15 PM

Hey, sorry to hear about all your troubles so far. Do not keep trying to patch together missing files using instructions that are from 2007. You're just going to mess up your phone even more. Alot has changed since then. Dont panic, just start over from the very beginning. And for the record, you are correct, you do not need Ultrasnow to unlock a 2G! The people who tell you otherwise clearly have not run redsn0w on a 2G or they would have known that. Redsn0w for the 2G simultaneously jailbreaks and unlocks the phone, that's why you check the box which says "unlock". This 'unlock" option does not exist in the 3G redsn0w.

I jb/ul'd my 2G, 3.0 with redsnow 8.0 on a Vista machine with a TMo SIM card inserted during the entire process and it worked flawlessly so I know the process works. Are you using a Mac or a PC?
    Last edited by Franberry; 09-02-2009 at 12:25 AM.
    09-02-2009 12:20 AM
    PC with XP on it.. now, I just have to restore my baseband and then I can upgrade to 3.0 and JB, thats where I am stuck
    09-02-2009 09:40 AM
    This is going to sound like a dumb question, but have you tried re-seating that SIM card? Error 23 could possibly mean that your phone isnt reading the SIM card correctly which will cause all kinds of weird problems.

Ex: I was in the process of restoring a 3G last weekend and got caught in a recovery/restore loop over and over. Tried the restore 3 times, got a success message at the end of each restore, but yet the phone would never reboot for the final step and itunes kept saying phone is in recovery mode, need to restore. At one point, I got an error messageI cant recall exactly, but I think it might have been the error 23. Finally, I ejected the phone, rebooted the machine, removed the SIM, stuck in a different SIM, connected the phone again and bamiTunes opens, recognizes the phone and put me setup your iPhone mode.

Moral of the story: always start with a freshly booted machine and go for the simplest fix first; in this case, take the SIM out, put it back in, start process over.

Dont just try to upgrade the baseband on your Frankenphone, as I said before, your phone is a mess right now, start from the very beginning again. Go to Simons Blog, heres the link (close the spaces in www; I cant post a link yet because I'm new to this forum):
    w w w.simonblog.com/2009/06/25/complete-guide-jailbreak-iphone-3-0-using-redsn0w/

All the files that you need will be in the jb guide. You should have 4 files before you begin:
    1) the correct .ipsw for your 2G which is iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
    2) two bootloader files BL-39.bin and BL-46.bin
    3) redsn0w 8.0.

Put them all in the same folder, unzip them, follow his jb guide exactly, make sure you check the unlock box and it will work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    09-02-2009 11:09 AM
    I never have SIM in my phone when I do this, but I did try with my SIM in and out of the phone while trying to do all the things I did. Tonight I will have my friend put his ATT sim in and see if we can do it like that.
    09-02-2009 11:17 AM
    I never have SIM in my phone when I do this, but I did try with my SIM in and out of the phone while trying to do all the things I did. Tonight I will have my friend put his ATT sim in and see if we can do it like that.
    I was going to suggest that too.....that you try and get your hands on an ATT SIM. My 2G ul/jb worked fine with a TMo SIM, but the 3G required an ATT SIM.
    09-02-2009 11:24 AM
    i will try with ATT to flash the baseband on it with iliberty, thats my biggest problem at this point, and not the JB.. phone is bricked at this point and mising the BIOS basically of the phone, like you have in the PC
    09-02-2009 11:37 AM
    Downloaded Kiphone. Got it to run by putting phone in Recovery mode as per iliberty bottom screen. Selected downgrade and debug, it started running scripts on the iphone screen and got stock on Attempting .... all over the screen on each line and thats it! I guess it did not want to do it maybe because there is nothing to downgrade if Bootneuter flashed clean the baseband, unless I am doing something wrong.

Tried putting my friends ATT SIM, itunes still says to put valid sim!! So that did not work. I will Shift Restore to 1.1.4 for now. Any suggestions how to JB this phone in 1.1.4 so I can use the Mobile Terminal and with command prompt maybe put the baseband like other threads people did?

I called apple they said this phone has 11 months worth of warranty left, so as long as they do not see any unlocking or jailbreaking software on it, I can just say it crashed while upgrading, then I tried to restore and it only restored to 1.1.4 after reading bunch of stuff on line and apple forum, bla bla bla, I will go with my friend who got this phone for me with att sim, apple people on the phone said no matter what I will leave with working phone, they will try to restore they said.. will they see anything on iphone if I restore to 1.1.4 like I did before?!
    09-02-2009 10:06 PM
    Hey, sorry to hear about all your troubles so far. Do not keep trying to patch together missing files using instructions that are from 2007. You're just going to mess up your phone even more. Alot has changed since then. Dont panic, just start over from the very beginning. And for the record, you are correct, you do not need Ultrasnow to unlock a 2G! The people who tell you otherwise clearly have not run redsn0w on a 2G or they would have known that. Redsn0w for the 2G simultaneously jailbreaks and unlocks the phone, that's why you check the box which says "unlock". This 'unlock" option does not exist in the 3G redsn0w.

I jb/ul'd my 2G, 3.0 with redsnow 8.0 on a Vista machine with a TMo SIM card inserted during the entire process and it worked flawlessly so I know the process works. Are you using a Mac or a PC?
    I did not know because I have a 3G S, I haven't had a 2G in a long time. I did a google search and posted some info I thought would help the OP. I didn't read it all the way through. I obviously would not know ultrasn0w is not required. I have no need to unlock in the first place as I'm an AT&T customer, I only ever jailbreak and I've unlocked a few phones for friends, but never used anything but ultrasn0w and iLiberty way back when.
    09-03-2009 02:11 AM
    what exactly do I need to go to apple store and play dumb, do they ask for ID, if I take my friends SIM from ATT? Do they ask for a phone number and match with name, which would not be a problem as long as they do not ask for ID. Also how would they check when warranty expires if the phone would be in emergency mode when I bring it, how would the check general settings for serial, also my other friend who got me this phone from apple 3 weeks ago would be on file I am sure if they wpull it up, would they try to match the name? I need to be prepaired. the phone still has 11 months of warranty
    09-03-2009 11:45 AM
    what exactly do I need to go to apple store and play dumb, do they ask for ID, if I take my friends SIM from ATT? Do they ask for a phone number and match with name, which would not be a problem as long as they do not ask for ID. Also how would they check when warranty expires if the phone would be in emergency mode when I bring it, how would the check general settings for serial, also my other friend who got me this phone from apple 3 weeks ago would be on file I am sure if they wpull it up, would they try to match the name? I need to be prepaired. the phone still has 11 months of warranty
    I thought the 1st gen phones had the serial number printed on the back of the phone? Maybe I'm wrong, I thought they did though.

And for what it's worth, between mine and my g/f's iPhones (1st 2nd and 3rd gens), I've swapped quite a few iPhones and I've never once been asked for an ID.

Also, if you ship it IN to apple by calling you don't even need your friends AT&T SIM...they tell you to take it out before sending it in.
    09-03-2009 08:36 PM
    good to know about the serial. so they would pull it up and know when the phone was sold, in my case 2 weeks ago, but wouldn't the system have a record of the person's name to who they gave or sold that phone as per serial number, so it would not be mine.. that is why I want to go with the friend who actually got the phone for me, so there would not be any confusion.. what do they ask at the store when you come in? if they pull the serial of the phone, don't they match with the name on the account when they check the warranty info?
    09-04-2009 09:18 AM
    just read on other threads, and now I think I know why I was not able to unlock the phone after 20 times trying to JB it with t-mobile sim before I ended up with a brick!! I might have had to get a NEW SIM, I read a lot of people has same issue and were able to make it work with 3.0 FW with new sim. Also I read that some people had same issue like I did with redsn0w on 2G phone unlocking it, eventhough BootNeuter ran its thing at the end of each JB sesion I did, I did not see it installed in the packages in Cydia, I just remembered!! That is why I was able to manually add it and kill my phone after unsuccessfully try to unlock it, maybe I needed a new SIM all along or maybe my Bootneuter did not do its thing even if it did look it did install at the end of redsn0w?! Some people had to manuall do it, something to do with CommCenter not turning off during redsn0w to do the BootNeuter, and had to manuall ydo it by downloading it, that is what I read, so I thought to add the observation here to possible cause of my initial problem unlocking my 2G with redsn0w! Or maybe my Bootloader files were corrupt?! Anyway, thats in the past, I need to fix the brick first or have apple replace it possibly if I do not fix it by Wed next week, we will go to apple with restored 1.1.4 FW and play dumb.
    09-04-2009 02:32 PM
    good to know about the serial. so they would pull it up and know when the phone was sold, in my case 2 weeks ago, but wouldn't the system have a record of the person's name to who they gave or sold that phone as per serial number, so it would not be mine.. that is why I want to go with the friend who actually got the phone for me, so there would not be any confusion.. what do they ask at the store when you come in? if they pull the serial of the phone, don't they match with the name on the account when they check the warranty info?
    as far as i see, all they see is warranty status, no name, etc..

i've bought iphones off of craigslist, and went in and had them swapped, fixed, exchanged.

one time, the warranty paper has a guy's name on it that wasn't me (it was the guy that i had purchased the phones from on CL), Apple never questioned it.
    09-05-2009 04:59 AM
    good to know
    09-05-2009 02:13 PM
    my prblm is tht when i upgraded my iphone to 2.0 and i didnt know anything abt this bootneuter thingy..but i by mistake went into it and pressed another version of BL then it said phone is flashing and then restarted and it was stuck on the apple logo forever i tried all the ways of restoring the firmware but never worked out..it says error when restoring.and my phone is 2G 8GB.. and it remains a brick for 3yrs.i used only a week.so worried..Searched all over the net nothing worked out.Wish u can help me out plz plz.It wud b so so helpful if u could plz help me..im expecting ur reply.plz help me out fix this thing.plzzz
    12-28-2009 07:27 AM
    sorry.. but i think you are screwed. i could not get anywhere with it. so i had it replaced.. sorry i could not help..
    12-28-2009 09:31 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD