Unlocking & Traveling

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a 3Gs that I've unlocked via redsn0w, but have not unlocked it. I'm going to be traveling up to Canada for two weeks in September, and assume that if I use my phone for calls or data I'll be subjected to roaming fees that are probably not so cheap.

Would going the extra step of unlocking my phone be of help during this time period? I do quite a bit of traveling outside of the US throughout the year, but to different countries, and sometimes I'm at sea on a cruise ship. I get the unlocking part, but how do I use the phone while in Canada, per se. I'd need a sim card from a carrier up there, correct? Probably not possible just for a short trip like that. Is there a pay as you go phone up in Canada that I could pull the sim card out of for making local calls?

Any tips or thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Neil

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Getting a SIM card up in canada is an option..however it might not be a cheap option. The best option i found was a calling card and using the local payphone...i know its inconvenient buts its the cheapest option i found. I tried this on my recent trip to Canada in July.

chrstphr.ross

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The only reason that unlocking would help in the long run is if you spend business trips in Canada on a frequent basis. Basically, if you're an international business person and spend a lot of time in Canada, it would be worth hooking up with Rogers or whoever and switching out SIM cards whenever you cross the border.

just_me#IM

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm spending two months in Italy. Unlocked the phone and bought a pay as you go Vodafone SIM, completely hassle free and I have free texts to other vodafone cells (all my friends here) and unlimited data for 3 euros a month

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I had it figured correctly when I first thought about it.

Does anyone know if Rogers offers a pay as you go type of phone with a sim card that can be swapped into the iPhone? I don't care about having internet or text messaging. I just want to be able to make calls from the car as we make our way around the different areas. Might come in handy when trying to line up a hotel for the night.

Thanks!

Mike

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73