Is there a point to unlocking?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I am not planning on leaving AT&T, or selling my iPhone anytime soon.

I can certainly understand not changing the baseband, so that I can unlock my phone in the future.

But is there any point to unlocking it right now? While I still use AT&T and don't plan on changing? I can see a point to jailbreaking (and am considering doing that, except I don't want to have to reinstall all my apps), but I am not sure about unlocking.

Chris

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
If your on AT&T there is no point in unlocking. And if jailbreak nothing is removed from your iPhone.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
If your on AT&T there is no point in unlocking. And if jailbreak nothing is removed from your iPhone.

Just to clarify on your last statement.

When I jailbroke by 3G with quickpwn, if I had apps installed (say, more than 5) it would cause endless problems. Eventually I had to restore, jailbreak, and then reinstall my apps (although data was still there since I restored from backup).

Are you saying now I can jailbreak without having to restore first? If I have 8 pages of apps, that won't cause a problem?

Chris

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Back to the topic....

If you ever travel outside of the US, you would want to unlock your phone. You do this so that when you reach your destination you can pick up a cheap local sim and pop it in your phone for use while you're abroad. This is always much cheaper than using AT&T's roaming.

NotCrazy

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
I've had my 3Gs unlocked now for 2 days and i dunno how i used my phone beforehand :D

winterboard was probably the big seller for me at first, but i like my visuals :D

but since then it's the ability to better organize things and be more efficient with springboard space that i love.
E.I i now have a 5 x 5 icon spring board, as aposed to the default 4x4 as well as 5 icons in the dock that means 30 icons on the first page compared to 20. IMO it's not too crowded but some may disagree

Categories, although a bit slow, allows the use of folders. i primarily use it to store all my games in one place rather than have them take up 3 screens.

intelliscreen - puts weather calander email and sms notifications and a news feed on your lock screen. i love this but at $10 [i think] i'm not sure i'll pay for it once the trial runs out.

control your iphone from your computer! you even get a little version of the screen on your monitor. great for skipping tracks from across the room.

and there are a few things like safari downloading, and better bluetooth that is still haven't worked out.

hope that helps

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Disagree. International roaming charges are can be very high. It is sometimes desirable to be able to use a SIM from a local carrier.

If one travels rarely, it is usually easier just to roam on one's AT&T SIM but those who travel frequently should have the flexibility.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro