Newbie JB Questions

brainwiz

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking for a bit of basic info on jailbreaking / unlocking my 3GS. I'm going to put a Vodafone International SIM in it when I go to Greece in a few weeks (any reason that wouldn't work?).

My plan (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is to: 1) Jailbreak using RedSn0W, 2) Unlock using UltraSn0W, 3) Insert Vodafone SIM card

But...when I come back, I'd like to restore my phone back to the way it is now (i.e. pre-jail break). Here comes the question: is there a way for me to move my iPhone backup to a safe spot (maybe a flash drive or something) so when I go to restore in a few weeks I can use this saved backup? I don't want backups that I do while I'm in Greece (from my laptop) to overwrite the "current / non-jailbroken" backup.

Maybe I'm making this too complicated - but I love my phone how it is now, and I want to get it back to this state when I return from my trip. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Brian

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
For a 3GS, I recommend using purplera1n for the jailbreak and purplesn0w for the unlock.

When you return, you can just restore your iPhone, and assuming you backed up your iPhone prior to the jailbreak, you will have the option to restore that data. Your iPhone would the be returned to the same exact state as before you performed the JB.

Download purplera1n from purplera1n.com. To install purplesn0w, add apt.geohot.com as a repository with in Cydia.

Oh, one more point. After you JB with purplera1n, you'll have an app called "freeze". This installs Cydia for you. You will not see Cydia until after you reboot - of course after running Freeze. After you launch Cydia for the first time, let Cydia perform any updates it wants.

Edit: I'd image that if you just make a copy of the iTunes folder found in my documents, you could just save that to endure you don't loose anything. But it's not like you'd lose much. Mainly just SMS chat histories.

Last edited:

brainwiz

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies, I'll check out purplera1n and purplesn0w instead. I have serious fears of this - but somehow the $1.29/minute that AT&T wants to charge me for roaming makes it a bit easier.

Another real newbie question: what exactly does Cydia do? Is it like the JB version of the App store?

So...in regards to the backups: I can JB my phone, continue to backup to the same iTunes account for the next few weeks, then restore when I come home and my iPhone will be exactly as before but with the JB and unlock. Is that right?

Thanks again!

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
That's exactly what Cydia is... It installs JB only apps.

If you return and no longer want JB and unlock, then restore and select a pre-Greece backup.

If you wNt to keep the JB and unlock, then you really don't need to do anything. If for some reason you want to reset your SMS, call log and stuff like they, then you would need to restore from the backup.

Sorry, this can sound confusing since restore refers to both software and data.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Tramain
Backups do not save jailbroken info.

That's not factually correct. I discovered this when I upgraded from the 3G to the 3G. I had jailbroken my iPhone 3G, and created a backup with iTunes. Now, the second that I got my 3G home, I updated from the backup.

Nothing happened, except that it enabled me to tether without using the benm hack or hacking my carrier file.

Then, after I restored, I jailbroke using purplera1n. BEFORE I DOWNLOADED ANYTHING, certain stuff started appearing. For example, on my 3G, I had downloaded and installed the "Updated AT&T Carrier Logo", and it showed up as soon as I jailbroke my 3G, and I didn't redownloading or reinstall it. It was just there.

The same with the "3G Fireball Logo" and "Colorful Signal Bars". I didn't have to redownloading or reinstall any of them once I jailbroke, and they were already there.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE - some settings in some packages are backed up as well. For example, I installed 123Spoof on my 3G. I purchased credits from their website, and entered my PIN # into 123Spoof to validate the purchase. When I restored the brand new 3G, the PIN was already entered before I even opened 123Spoof for the first time on my 3G.

Nothing major or important, just wanted to point out that restoring DOES save some jailbroken details/settings/files is all.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Well the benm tether hack is not a jailbreak hack and you jailbreak info went back onto you iPhone after you jailbreak it again.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Some JB data is saved during a backup. A while back, I had a JB 3G where the carrier string was set to mATT. I restored the phone and selected the JB backup to restore from. On my non-JB device, the carrier string was mATT still.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, that's basically what I was referring to when I mentioned the custom carrier logo, signal bars, and 3G fireball logo!

Same deal here.

only1jonarius

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
SAME with me after I restored my phone factory settings ant THEN restored from a backup. it had all the info in before I even downloaded anything

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW