purplesn0w is out - 3GS unlock

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Quotes via twitter

geohot said:
purplesn0w uses the apple machinery already in place to unlock 3GS, no daemons, no tasks, no msgs to the sec task, no crashes.

geohot said:
@Itaintrite right now, your phone is more unlocked than a legit unlocked phone. told you this sn0w was pristine :-D

Make it ra1n, makin' it sn0w

To install purplesn0w, just install apt.geohot.com as a Cydia repo.

Keep in mind that George Hotz makes awesome iPhone hacks -- just not always the first time around.... this version may be buggy.

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
So wait - I see that in Cydia there are packages for Tmobile that will allow 3G, tethering and wi-fi. Basically, allow full iPhone access. The question:

if I don't travel, have no issues with AT&T service, what are the benefits of unlocking the iPhone?

Is it even worth doing?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
If you're planning to use AT&T's carrier services, then there really isn't any benefit that I know of to unlocking. Unlocking simply allows you to use other SIM cards that are compatible in order to use your iPhone with another carrier.

Again, if you're using AT&T, there's not really a reason to unlock, but you can definitely take advantage of jailbreaking your phone to use additional apps that arren't available in Apple's app store.

thuwun

Jul 6, 2009
twitter.com
reasons...

So wait - I see that in Cydia there are packages for Tmobile that will allow 3G, tethering and wi-fi. Basically, allow full iPhone access. The question:

if I don't travel, have no issues with AT&T service, what are the benefits of unlocking the iPhone?

Is it even worth doing?

There is no benefit for you.

Unless you are unhappy with att.

most people that would like an unlock want it because they travel and would like to use overseas sims because its cheaper than trying to use a states world wide plan...

or

are with another carrier. and especially t-mobile customers that are sick of t-mobile phones, but love their loyalty unlimited plan and don't want to sacrifice 49.99 unlimited voice & 34.99 unlimited data & messaging (for a total of about $100) for att 450 min for 69.99 and iphone data plan of $35.

Basically in the end trying to save money!

racedog

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
So wait - I see that in Cydia there are packages for Tmobile that will allow 3G, tethering and wi-fi. Basically, allow full iPhone access. QUOTE]

I just ported to TMO this morning. Everything is working fine but I only have EDGE since that's all they have in this area. However, you mention packages in Cydia that will allow 3G. Is that for TMO 3G or for ATT roaming 3G on a TMO device?

TMO is supposed to bring in 3G in this area in about three months so that would be a good thing to be able to use on the iphone on TMO.

R

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
So wait - I see that in Cydia there are packages for Tmobile that will allow 3G, tethering and wi-fi. Basically, allow full iPhone access. QUOTE]

I just ported to TMO this morning. Everything is working fine but I only have EDGE since that's all they have in this area. However, you mention packages in Cydia that will allow 3G. Is that for TMO 3G or for ATT roaming 3G on a TMO device?

TMO is supposed to bring in 3G in this area in about three months so that would be a good thing to be able to use on the iphone on TMO.

R

I believe those are to allow 3G on TMO. You will not actually get it.. yet. As you said it all depends are your area. And from what I hear TMO is lacking in the 3G department.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
The iPhone 3g radio chip does not work with t-mobile. The downloads you see in Cydia are 1) cosmetic and 2) prevent iTunes from repeatedly installing the AT&T carrier settings.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2