Been trying to jailbreak my phone. I have an iPhone 3G with OS 3.0. I got it jailbroken with redsnow but cydia and icy just weren't working right. Everything I would try to do would result in an error. What am I doing wrong?
    07-09-2009 12:45 PM
    bumping...
    07-09-2009 10:17 PM
    Here's how I'd do it if I was in your shoes.

1. Sync up in iTunes so there's a good backup.
    2. Restore the iphone, let it activate, but when it asks to restore from a backup or set as a new phone, just close iTunes.
    3. JB with redsn0w 0.8, only installing Cydia -- not Icy
    4. Launch Cydia and update anything it recommends
    5. Install mobile substrate via Cydia
    6. Install RipDev repo via Cydia, which will allow you to install Icy
    7. Plug the iPhone back into iTunes, which should then ask you if you want to restore to a previous backup or setup as a new phone.... I'd select restore & pick the backup performed in step #1

This process usually takes me about 45 mins.
    07-09-2009 11:06 PM
    Here is what I would do. This all pending on weather you have a backup previous to the JB you are willing to use.

1. Restore to that point
    2. JB with Purplera1n
    3. Run Freeze
    4.Install any repos needed
    5. Install ICY.
    6. Voila?
    07-09-2009 11:21 PM
    Here is what I would do. This all pending on weather you have a backup previous to the JB you are willing to use.

1. Restore to that point
    2. JB with Purplera1n
    3. Run Freeze
    4.Install any repos needed
    5. Install ICY.
    6. Voila?
    Unless I'm mistaken, purplera1n is only for the 3GS, and the original poster has a 3G.

It's very much recommended to JB a fresh iPhone, which is why I directed him to take those steps. Doing the JB between the firmware restore and data restore makes it so the JB is performed on a virgin phone, yet maintains the data and settings on his phone.

I have followed these steps myself, and it actually works out very well.
    Last edited by Matt74; 07-09-2009 at 11:28 PM.
    07-09-2009 11:23 PM
    Oh, I figured it may have worked. I do not see why it is 3GS only, I believe it may work
    07-09-2009 11:29 PM
    Unless I'm mistaken, purplera1n is only for the 3GS, and the original poster has a 3G.

It's very much recommended to JB a fresh iPhone, which is why I directed him to take those steps. Doing the JB between the firmware restore and data restore makes it so the JB is performed on a virgin phone, yet maintains the data and settings on his phone.

I have followed these steps myself, and it actually works out very well.
    that is why I recommended purplera1n. It leaves all your stuff alone and just adds cydia and the proper JB code needed without having to reload all the firmware
    07-09-2009 11:30 PM
    Oh, I figured it may have worked. I do not see why it is 3GS only, I believe it may work
    Part of the JB process is to patch the OS kernel. The kernel is compiled to work with a very specific hardware set, the least not being the CPU. Since the CPU and other hardware are very much different between the 3G and the 3GS, they have different kernels.

So the kernel patches needed for the 3G and the 3GS are very much different.

Edit: The reason redsn0w can JB all devices is that it detects which device is connected and performs the appropriate JB.
    Last edited by Matt74; 07-09-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Adding redsn0w info
    07-09-2009 11:40 PM
    Oh I see. Sorry for the confusion, this is my first iPhone.
    07-09-2009 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD