How to change SMS/Email tones?

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I recently jailbroke my 3GS and would like to change my SMS/Email tone. I did a quick search but didnt really find anything useful. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Found some info

There isn't a icon for it. To change the tones, I started WiFi, found my IP address of my local LAN, opened sftp, typed in the IP address, user: root password: alpine

Then went to the /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ and backed up everything that was in there to my local computer and copied over the new-mail.caf file I had created as well as the sms-recieved6.caf, (the sms one might be named wrong here since i did it at home last night and don't remember the name)

Then I rebooted and everything worked the way I wanted. The SMS sounds will always look the same but since I didn't like the last one listed on the phone, I used the last one that had 6 next to it. It worked out great for me.

changing iphone sounds - Google Search

That's a good starting point.

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I found another program called "DiskAid" Unlike the other way (WiFi), you can use your USB cable and connect directly to your iPhone/iPod and add/remove files.

If you have more info on the subject please add :cool:

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
In order to change your SMS tones you will need:

1) a jailbroken iPhone
2) files converted to .aif then renamed to .caf
3) Rename your files to....

sms-received1.caf = Tri-tone
sms-received2.caf = Chime
sms-received3.caf = Glass
sms-received4.caf = Horn
sms-received5.caf = Bell
sms-received6.caf = Electronic

They are found in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds

Ok, no problem.

-First, you find the audio file that you want to be as your new TXT notifier, try to find it as any of the following file formats:

wav, mp3, aiff, m4a

-Then, load it into iTunes. Click on Edit > Preferences > Import Settings > Advanced, and set the conversion encoder to AIFF.

-Go back into your library inside iTunes, locate the file you just added, right click on the sound file you imported, and select "Convert to AIFF".

-Let it convert.

-Once it's done, right-click the file, and go to info. Follow the path to that file, and then simply rename it to *.caf.

-Open up iPhone Browser.
-Click on Goto Location > UISounds on the top bar.
-Locate the files named "sms-received1.caf", "sms-received2.caf", "sms-received3.caf", "sms-received4.caf", "sms-received5.caf", "sms-received6.caf". Decide which one you don't like, and delete it.
-Lets use the first one, "sms-received1.caf" as an example. Delete that ba$tard from the original directory.
-RENAME your NEW ringtone to "sms-received1.caf", and drag it into that iPhone Browser directory.
-Go to your iPhone, select "Tri-tone" as your message, and that will be your new SMS/TXT/MMS Ringtone.

Voila, thats all it is. it sounds like a lot of steps, but once you do it once or twice, its really second nature.

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Using the above method I was successfully able to change my SMS (or text) tone, along with my lock and unlock sound :cool:

Last edited:

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm so surprised the iPhone didn't come with a better selection of tones. It is a media phone for goodness sake.

only1jonarius

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
^^^ your super rite. It happend to me once at a dinner party. me and this girl was sitN right nxt 2 us & evertime we got a SMS we lookd at each others Fone!!! LOL

Jedi

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Next stage is to download iphone browser and follow the rest of the steps in the tutorial above. This only works for jailbroken iphones.

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I have managed to change the song I want to .caf but after that, I'm lost. Can anyone help? Thanks : )

I found another program called "DiskAid" Unlike the other way (WiFi), you can use your USB cable and connect directly to your iPhone/iPod and add/remove files.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
truthfully it does look like alot but it is so easy once you do it. The people using a Mac with the browser ^^^^ the UISounds location is /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/

kev0487

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
hey i had a question. I know how to changed the smstone and all, but how about this. The smstone i implemented is about 30 seconds. once i open the message the tone plays in its entirety which is kind of annoying. Anyone know of a way besides shortening the file of making it so it turns off when the message is opened?

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
another option is to use ToneFX. found it in Cydia. just downloaded some ringtones/soundboards from Cydia, activated them in Winterboard, then was able to select them for SMS, lock, unlock, new email, voicemail...very easy.

granted, i'm still using my trial version, but am thinking about purchasing since it's so simple to use.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Can you create an SMS for individual contacts ? I would guess it would be done the same way but how do you assign the tone to a given contact. HAND/MGBU, IGoSlo

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
hey i had a question. I know how to changed the smstone and all, but how about this. The smstone i implemented is about 30 seconds. once i open the message the tone plays in its entirety which is kind of annoying. Anyone know of a way besides shortening the file of making it so it turns off when the message is opened?

You should be able to Edit your sound or tone to the length you want. I would guess one could add more to the six tones available...Right? I'm still having an issue in the iPhone. I can create, rename, test, openSSH into the sound file retest and it works... Yet when I reboot iPhone reset tone... SILENCE... By the way, my iphone is JB, 3g, 3.0 OS. HELP Thanx

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know there is no other way. I've been searching and testing for awhile and this is the best and safest... so far... WARNING ! ! If you are NOT familier with openSSH and it's use... BE CAREFUL... ALWAYS do a BACKUP BEFORE you make any changes...it's VERY EASY to MESS UP... That's mildly put...I've NOT been able to convert mp3 to caf If anyone else has any info on this subject please share. Thanx