How to change SMS/Email tones?

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
You should be able to Edit your sound or tone to the length you want. I would guess one could add more to the six tones available...Right? I'm still having an issue in the iPhone. I can create, rename, test, openSSH into the sound file retest and it works... Yet when I reboot iPhone reset tone... SILENCE... By the way, my iphone is JB, 3g, 3.0 OS. HELP Thanx

You can edit your sound to the length you want using Audacity (thats what i use). As far as I know, you can not add more than the tones you already have. You have to overwrite the existing files.

Is there no easier way. I was hoping to use mp3 files as sms

Easier then using Diskaid or iPhone browser? Not that i know of.

As far as I know there is no other way. I've been searching and testing for awhile and this is the best and safest... so far... WARNING ! ! If you are NOT familier with openSSH and it's use... BE CAREFUL... ALWAYS do a BACKUP BEFORE you make any changes...it's VERY EASY to MESS UP... That's mildly put...I've NOT been able to convert mp3 to caf If anyone else has any info on this subject please share. Thanx

Read post 4 to convert mp3 and caf files

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, both Dipstix and myself have written pretty comprehensive guides on how to do this for SMS & email sounds.

They both completely work. And yes, it may seem like a lot of steps at first, but once you do it once or twice it becomes second nature. Don't be intimidated by all the steps.

jedi_master_joe

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Here's a problem I ran into: When I use iPhoneBrowser to change the file, I get an error message that says "The program could not find the path ... UISounds ... on your iPhone. Have you successfully used jailbreak?" Well, I have successfully jailbroke my phone. I used Blackrain and it works fine. Is there another jailbreak program I should have used? When I jailbroke the last time, Blackrain was the only one available for the iPhone version I had (3.1.2). I can usually figure this stuff out on my own, but this one has me stumped... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi.
If I understand all of you correctly - there is NO way to change sms-tone IF your phone IS NOT jailbreaked??

That is correct. You have to SSH into your phone to load the new files. And to SSH, your phone needs to be jailbroken.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
is diskaid an alternative to ssh?

You are right. Diskaid is a popular alternative to ssh. The only drawback is that you won't have access to many of the great jailbroken apps out there. But if all you want to do is change email/sms tones, it's great.

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
You are right. Diskaid is a popular alternative to ssh. The only drawback is that you won't have access to many of the great jailbroken apps out there. But if all you want to do is change email/sms tones, it's great.

I'm trying to avoid using ssh Diskaid seems like the way to go

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
With DiskAid, you have the same access to the root of your iPhone, the same as if you were using SSH - and without the security fears. Not sure why lungho seems to feel you can't access everything with it.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, and this weekend I discorred that you CAN access and edit the *.js files as wellwith programs like iFunBox and iPhoneBrowser....

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
With DiskAid, you have the same access to the root of your iPhone, the same as if you were using SSH - and without the security fears. Not sure why lungho seems to feel you can't access everything with it.

Sounds perfect!!

Yes, and this weekend I discorred that you CAN access and edit the *.js files as wellwith programs like iFunBox and iPhoneBrowser....

I'd like to hear more about these programs

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

I may have got some misinformation when I was reading about it a while back. I'm most certainly not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. :D

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Try for yourself, drian. DiskAid has a nice trial period. I think some of the others are free, but DiskAid had everything I wanted/needed, and wasn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

drian

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Try for yourself, drian. DiskAid has a nice trial period. I think some of the others are free, but DiskAid had everything I wanted/needed, and wasn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

I'll check it out... a free alternative would be nice, though lol

Any suggestions, anyone?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods