Alright i just got my new 16 gb 3gs a few days ago. I have not kept up with the jailbreak news ever so i don't know what anything means really. I don't completly understand how to use redsnow or purplerain.

Also i tried doing the DFU mode thing earlier to restore just to see if that would come up with any problems because i've been quite nervous about ruining my new 600$ toy. Anyways it did come up with the 1604 error and said it couldn't restore after being in DFU for over 10 minutes. Although the phone is working now so i don't really know what that means. Should i not jailbreak at all since i can't DFU restore properly?

Could someone please write me a tutorial.

i got a 16gb iphone 3gs
    I have a legit at&t contract for my iphone
    i am on windows xp pro
    i don't care if its geohotz or the dev teams as long as it works and whatevers easier
    07-07-2009 11:40 PM
    Check out the blog portion of this site--lots of useful info!!!

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-jailbreak-unlock/
    07-07-2009 11:57 PM
    The big thing thats keeping me away from that is my problem with DFU from before, i'm a bit scared to try it again. If i get 1604 once will i always get that?
    07-08-2009 12:00 AM
    Are you sure you did the dfu mode restore right? After you put the phone in dfu, was the screen blank? Did you just click on the restore button, or did you try a shift-click to select a firmware image?

I've only run into a 1604 error when trying to install a custom firmware image.
    07-08-2009 12:13 AM
    Well i just sat aside my fears and did DFU again. I used a different method leading me to believe that the last one was wrong. The first time i did the power+home button for like 30 seconds and home or whatever. this time i powered off then held home while i plugged it in. And it sucessfully did the restore and it is syncing now to get my music back on.

So now that those fears are gone, should i use purplerain or redsnow?
    07-08-2009 12:27 AM
    Purplera1n is so much simpler, just make sure you have the most current version. This is the series of steps used for jailbreaking when you use purplera1n:

1) Open iTunes
    2) Open purplera1n
    3) Click "make it rain!"

You're done!

4) You should have a new icon on your springboard called "Freeze". Simply connect to your WiFi, and then click "Install Cydia".

5) Install the newest version of mobilesubstrate. Reboot.

6) [OPTIONAL] Install WinterBoard. Reboot.

Only use WinterBoard if you intend on customizing the look of your iPhone. It's not required for a jailbreaking, just to make everything look different.
    07-08-2009 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD