Hello there. I got my first iPhone, the 3GS on release day. I did not think I was going to jailbreak, but I saw my buddy's jailbroken iTouch and it really got me curious and interested. I've read as much as I could find, but some of my questions were not answered, or I just did not look hard enough.

1. On the main page, it says that people with jailbroken iPhones are at a security risk. How bad of a risk?
    2. Will I be hit with a performance loss?
    3. Which jailbreaking application works the best?

Is there anything else a first time jailbreaker should know?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Adrenaline; 07-07-2009 at 06:27 PM.
    07-07-2009 06:16 PM
    Bad Ash has posted some FAQ's regarding jailbreaking. if these don't answer your questions, we'll try again.

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...e-posting.html

http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...e-updated.html
    07-07-2009 06:22 PM
    Thanks. After a little more reading I got a couple of my questions answered, but I have no luck with the remaining questions.
    07-07-2009 06:29 PM
    throw your questions back out that you don't have answers for. i'm sure someone more experienced than i will answer them soon.
    07-07-2009 06:31 PM
    throw your questions back out that you don't have answers for. i'm sure someone more experienced than i will answer them soon.
    I edited my first post. I took out the questions I found answers for. I will keep on looking for answers as well. Thanks for your help.
    07-07-2009 06:32 PM
    1. On the main page, it says that people with jailbroken iPhones are at a security risk. How bad of a risk?
    1. i'll let someone else chime in on this one as i haven't read up much on the security aspects of JB-ing a phone
    2. from what i gather, performance is not effected by JB-ing. in fact, it seems like you can open up a whole new world of apps that increase performance and unleash the full potential of the iPhone 3GS.
    3. it seems that the JB app Purplera1n is the favorite of this forum. was reading this thread earlier today where they were talking about it (http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphon...erd-fight.html)

hope this helps somehow
    07-07-2009 06:49 PM
    I heard that your phone, once jailbroken, will need to be reconfigured everytime there is an OS update. I didnt see this anywhere in the stickies, is it true?
    07-07-2009 11:18 PM
    I am new to iPhones as well and jail broke my 3GS yesterday. It was very easy, and is running smoothly.

Now, towards your question about updating-
    I am under the impression that you just don't update until there is some sort of downloadable fix. Am I right?
    07-07-2009 11:38 PM
    Hello there. I got my first iPhone, the 3GS on release day. I did not think I was going to jailbreak, but I saw my buddy's jailbroken iTouch and it really got me curious and interested. I've read as much as I could find, but some of my questions were not answered, or I just did not look hard enough.

Is there anything else a first time jailbreaker should know?

Thanks for the help.

Turns out that if you jailbreak your iPhone you remove most of the Apples security protections 80% to be exact and are vulnerable to attacks. At least according to Charlie Miller:
    07-08-2009 02:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD