Looking like 3GS winterboard soon!

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
OK, well I dig around a lot on twitter, as there's tons of nifty stuff you can find pertaining to iPhone hacking.

Here's the latest dirt I've found.

15992534.jpg

3GS Winterboard screenshot

When asked when Winterboard for the 3GS would be out, p0sixninja responded with:

p0sixninja said:
its just being tested right now, if there's no problems it'll probably be out soon

This pic was uploaded to twitpic by p0sixninja, the hacker who's coding the Linux version of purplera1n.

This leads me to my second find of the day. The Linux version of purplera1n is 99% finished. At the moment, everything works except for the fact that the user has to put their phone in recovery mode manually. Geohot wants to fix this prior to release, so as soon as that's done, Linux people will be happy too.

Source for the Linux version of purplera1n.

p0sixninja said:
@purpleskank btw, #linux version if #purplera1n is done but you must enter recovery mode manually @geohot wants to fix that before releasing

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so Matt: Fill me in man!

Basically, the purplera1n is working as a jailbreak, Cydia is working so that means Icy is too, and after I install the new mobile substrate, Winterboard is now working as well, all themes included?

Let's say I just finished the 3G jailbreak process - I installed Cydia & Icy.

Now what do I do to get everything working smoothly? (Everything being sbSettings, Winterboard, so on and so forth)

you mentioned finding the URL to the new mobilesubstrate. Details, man, details!!

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Sorry it's taken so long to respond to ya, I just got home. Saw the post while I was out, but had too much info I needed to type up. I wasn't about ready to do this from my iPhone. :)

Yes, purplera1n is a fully function jailbreak. There are a couple of reasons why there's been a ton of talk going around about this being a flawed jailbreak.

The first and foremost would be that RC1 was indeed flawed. When it came out, there were many errors during app installs via Cydia, and also plenty of SB crashes with apps like Winterboard and iRealSMS. Saurik pointed out that RC1 was missing some kernel patches, and cited that as half of the reason Winterboard wasn't working.

However, RC2 fixed all of the JB issues. The issues that remained fell into 2 main categories. 1) Some apps haven't been fully updated to work with 3.0, therefore, they still didn't work on the 3GS. 2) mobilesubstrate needed updating in order for JB apps to access MSHookFunctions. Some apps use them, some don't. So while you might have an app that uses mobilesubstrate, it might not use the MSHookFunctions, so it could work. This would give the false impression that mobilesubstrate was working properly on the 3GS.

Winterboard is a 2 part fix, the first part is the updated mobilesubstrate, the second part is an updated Winterboard. Word on the street is that Saurik is trying to get this out the door tonight. However, if you can't wait, I'll link to the test version of Winterboard.

The updated mobilesubstrate can be downloaded by clicking that link. It will be available at a later time via Cydia. To install this version of mobilesubstrate, you need to:

1) copy it to your iPhone (iPhoneBrowser, SSH, Safari Download Plugin, etc...)
2) launch mobile terminal, then su to root (su root)
3) browse to the file, then type "dpkg -i mobilesubstrate_0.9.2957-1_iphoneos-arm.deb". This will install the update.
4) Reboot -- this is a must, and respring won't cut it.

At this point, the beta of iRealSMS will work. The Cydia beta repo is www.irealsms.com/beta_repo

To install the test version of Winterboard, which does work -- it's running on my 3GS right now -- follow the steps listed above, but substitute the winterboard file name instead. If you already rebooted for the mobilesubstrate update, you only need to respring for Winterboard.

I hope this provides all the details you want. If not, ask and you shall receive.

Last edited:

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Sorry it's taken so long to respond to ya, I just got home. Saw the post while I was out, but had too much info I needed to type up. I wasn't about ready to do this from my iPhone. :)

Yes, purplera1n is a fully function jailbreak. There are a couple of reasons why there's been a ton of talk going around about this being a flawed jailbreak.

The first and foremost would be that RC1 was indeed flawed. When it came out, there were many errors during app installs via Cydia, and also plenty of SB crashes with apps like Winterboard and iRealSMS. Saurik pointed out that RC1 was missing some kernel patches, and cited that as half of the reason Winterboard wasn't working.

However, RC2 fixed all of the JB issues. The issues that remained fell into 2 main categories. 1) Some apps haven't been fully updated to work with 3.0, therefore, they still didn't work on the 3GS. 2) mobilesubstrate needed updating in order for JB apps to access MSHookFunctions. Some apps use them, some don't. So while you might have an app that uses mobilesubstrate, it might not use the MSHookFunctions, so it could work. This would give the false impression that mobilesubstrate was working properly on the 3GS.

Winterboard is a 2 part fix, the first part is the updated mobilesubstrate, the second part is an updated Winterboard. Word on the street is that Saurik is trying to get this out the door tonight. However, if you can't wait, I'll link to the test version of

Great news about both. I sucessfully installed the mobile substrate and then installed irealSMS which now works perfectly. I then tried to install the test winterboarder and it seemed sucessful (shows up under manage in Cydia) yet an icon does not show up. Any ideas?

Secondly, after I installed IrealSMS I now get a conflict that pops up at reboot. A window says that Intelliscreen is conflicting with something. Any ideas on that?

Thanks so much!

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Couple of questions -- what version of iRealSMS are you using? As far as I know, they only have a beta that is supposed to work with 3.0. I'm running iRealSMS 2.0.9.0d, which can be installed from the beta repo I listed above.

After installing Winterboard, did you respring? The way I installed everything was:

1) install mobilesubstrate, reboot
2) install iRealSMS
3) install Winterboard
4) respring

I'll install Intelliscreen and see what happens... as of right now, I have no errors at all.

Edit: I installed Intelliscreen and rebooted... no errors.

Last edited:

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I am using the one available on Cydia (1.0.3.0). I have had no problems with it at all. I actually got that to work with the substrate prior to seeing this thread. The order i did it is...

Install substrate, reboot
Install Ireal SMS
Install Winterboarder
Reboot
Respring (after not seeing the icon.)

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Launch Cydia, and add the following repo:

www.irealsms.com/beta_repo

Install that beta version if iRealSMS... not only is it the latest, but has a lot of new features. And who knows, maybe that'll get rid of the conflict message.

Did you check all pages on your iPhone? I honestly can't think of why you are not seeing the icon for Winterboard.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Crap, I'm an idiot. Go into Cydia and remove that version of Winterboard. I linked to a very old copy by mistake.

Here's the correct link... I'll update it in the post above too.

lionheartednyhc

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Launch Cydia, and add the following repo:

Install that beta version if iRealSMS... not only is it the latest, but has a lot of new features. And who knows, maybe that'll get rid of the conflict message.

Did you check all pages on your iPhone? I honestly can't think of why you are not seeing the icon for Winterboard.

When I go to that link, it brings up some page in german...im confused.

I have checked every page! I tried reinstalling it through cydia as well..and nothing.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Uninstall the version of iRealSMS you have, then do the following:

1) Launch Cydia
2) Tap the manage button
3) Tap the Edit button
4) Tap the Add button
5) Enter http://www.irealsms.com/beta_repo and then tap "Add Source"
6) Tap the Done button
7) Tap the Search Button and type "iRealSMS"
8) Select iRealSMS 2.0 Beta
9) Tap Install

InvaderekiM

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site

Winterboard is a 2 part fix, the first part is the updated mobilesubstrate, the second part is an updated Winterboard. Word on the street is that Saurik is trying to get this out the door tonight. However, if you can't wait, I'll link to the test version of Winterboard.

The updated can be downloaded by clicking that link. It will be available at a later time via Cydia. To install this version of mobilesubstrate, you need to:

1) copy it to your iPhone (iPhoneBrowser, SSH, Safari Download Plugin, etc...)
2) launch mobile terminal, then su to root (su root)
3) browse to the file, then type "dpkg -i mobilesubstrate_0.9.2957-1_iphoneos-arm.deb". This will install the update.
4) Reboot -- this is a must, and respring won't cut it.

At this point, the beta of iRealSMS will work. The Cydia beta repo is

To install the test version of Winterboard, which does work -- it's running on my 3GS right now -- follow the steps listed above, but substitute the winterboard file name instead. If you already rebooted for the mobilesubstrate update, you only need to respring for Winterboard.

I hope this provides all the details you want. If not, ask and you shall receive.

ok i followed this and in terminal it worked but there is no winterboard icon... just like him ^^^ what do we do to use winterboard? please help man thanks

InvaderekiM

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
thanks i just seen that after i registered.... i registered just to make that post ahahahah thank you man im trying it right now!! sweeet

InvaderekiM

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
looking good its working now YEYYYYY!!!!!! thaks very much man!!! is there anything else thats cool that i could get on my 3GS.. i was looking at an emulator but they werent working either... is there a fix for them too?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox