purplera1n for the Mac & RC2a

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
A few mins ago, geohot released purplera1n for the Mac, as well as a minor upgrade to the windows version.

From geohot's blog:

geohot said:
purplera1n...for mac
You asked for it, and we delivered. I'm not a mac coder, so AriX and westbaer stepped up to do it. Check out AriX's blog here. Download link on purplera1n.com, and thank AriX and westbaer next time you see them!

Also, some more payload stability improvements were made, and the windows version was updated to RC2a. There is no reason to run RC2a if you already have RC2 installed.

And for the record, I'm now leaning towards the distinct possibility that geohot is correct when he asserts that the winterboard and iRealSMS issues are on their end, and not caused by the JB.

Saurik had admitted that winterboard needed to be recoded for 3.0 on the 3GS, and that it hasn't been done yet. His statement about the problems coming from a missing kernel patch was made when RC1 was available, and not since.

That, and iRealSMS had just barely gotten their product to the point where the beta wasn't crashing SB on 3.0.

From what I've seen on my phone, most of the apps that work on the 3G JB version work on the 3GS JB.

But that's just my uneducated gut feeling based on my own tinkering.

Edit: Here's a link to saurik's statements as a point of reference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I really want to JB my 3GS... but I am new iPhone user all together.

I really dont want to ruin the phone since I so very pleased with it. What are the risks? Is this something an iPhone n00b can get through?

faslane

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Do IT!

I have jailbroke many 3G and a few 3GS's. When I did my personal 3GS, I even restored back to stock in iTunes from RC1 and it was flawless like other jailbreaks. Then applied the RC2 (I could have broken over the top of RC1 with RC2, but I don't trust doing that way, I like to start from a fresh Restore just in case any "pieces" get left behind and cause problems later.

Piece of Cake, even for a first-timer it's seriously SUPER EASY.

Good Luck, You'll do fine. Just follow instructions.

L.

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Where are the instructions?

I have installed purplerain on my iMac but have yet to connect my iPhone to it. Does it instruct you what to do as you advance through the jailbreak?

The only thing that's confusing me is how people are talking about changing files..

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ok, thanks.

I am in the process now.

How long does the Done! ...Wait screen stay up for?
I already have freeze on my home screen.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Well, the "Done! wait..." message stays up until you close the program. That message is there to tell you that the program is done. You just need to wait for your phone to reboot.

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok it's jail broken :)

Was messing around and tried using WinterBoard but it's messing up.. something about the spring board and it goes into safe mode.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
You better uninstall that before you reboot, else your iPhone isn't going to boot back up. Winterboard doesn't work on the 3GS yet.

Noonan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Wow.. Not sure why but it didn't mess up my phone.

Would that have bricked it? I tried to run winterboard, it went into safe mode and I restarted the phone a few times but it wouldn't come out of safe mode. I had to restore and go through the purplera1n process again. All is well now.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
No, it would not have bricked your iPhone. It's actually quite difficult to brick your device. People just misuse the term, often times saying their iPhone is bricked at the first sign of a problem.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR