Purplera1n: THE FACTS!

nyknicks4412

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I am seeing a lot of questions regarding purplera1n, the new jailbreaking tool for the iPhone 3gs. So I am going to try and consolidate the information for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

JAILBREAKING PROCESS:

The program only works on windows XP. As of right now I have not heard of anyone successfully jailbreaking their iPhone 3gs with the program on windows vista or windows 7. In addition you must have the most up to date version of iTunes installed on your computer.

To get the program you simply go to www.purplera1n.com and click the windows symbol. Save the program to your desktop and run it.

Jailbreaking the actual phone is very easy. All you need to do is plug your phone into your computer, leave itunes open and click "make it ra1n" in the program.

If done correctly your phone will enter recovery mode, then you will see the picture of purple rain and a man, then your phone will reboot and finally it will start up like normal and be jailbroken.

Now there is a glitch with the program that many people have. If your phone just stays in recovery mode you need to exit the purplera1n program and open it up and click "make it ra1n" again and let it do its thing. It should work.

POST JAILBREAKING:

Once your phone has restarted you should see a new app on your phone callled freeze. This is the program used to install Cydia. Just open it and click install cydia. once it finishes restart your phone. if cydia isnt on there restart the phone again and it will be.

Cydia Applications:

There are many applications that are currently not working with the jailbreak on the iPhone 3gs. This can be for a number of reasons but if you do happen to install an application that doesnt work your phone will restart in safe mode. Just uninstall that application in safe mode and reboot and you will be good. It is all trial an error at this point until the developers update there applications to work with the 3gs and the jailbreak. There are also reports that Icy actually makes some apps work that dont work when installed with Cydia. This may be a rumor but install Icy through Cydia and give it a shot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlocking:

You can unlock the iPhone 3gs by installing the necessary app through cydia and running it. There are reports that wifi and a few other things may or may not be working when you unlock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I will update this thread with any new news and information i can gather. Good luck if you have any questions just ask. I will try and help

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Cydia Applications:

There are many applications that are currently not working with the jailbreak on the iPhone 3gs. This can be for a number of reasons but if you do happen to install an application that doesnt work your phone will restart in safe mode. Just uninstall that application in safe mode and reboot and you will be good. It is all trial an error at this point until the developers update there applications to work with the 3gs and the jailbreak. There are also reports that Icy actually makes some apps work that dont work when installed with Cydia. This may be a rumor but install Icy through Cydia and give it a shot.

Actually, it turns out that it's not the applications, it's the jailbreak. Per the developer of iRealSMS, the iPhone 3GS jailbreak is incomplete -- it doesn't include a kernal patch, which prevents a lot of the jailbreak apps from working properly.

Also, per the iRealSMS development team, they at least have no plans of addressing the errors associated with their app and the new jailbreak. They are waiting for goehot to fix his jailbreak, or the dev-team to release theirs.

So to sum things up, the jailbreak apps that do not work, are not working because the jailbreak is flawed.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner