Hi all, I apologize in advance for sounding like a ***** here, but.......

I had a iPhone with AT&T until my dear wife insisted that we switch to T-Mobile

She is happy with her new Blackberry 8900, but I'm NOT happy with mine. I miss the iphone.

So....I'm considering buying an unlocked phone, but really have no idea what is involved here, so I have some questions for you experts.

1) Is it really as simple as slip my T-Mobile sim card in and everything works? I have an unlimited data plan with T-Mob, will that work on the iPhone?

2) I assume the phone has to be jailbroken to be unlocked? Does this effect the iPhone operation in any way? I guess what I am asking is will I know the difference between using my unlocked iphone and my old locked iphone with AT&T.

3) I see a LOT of posts about not updating new software releases, etc. What happens when you do? Does it relock the phone or what? I would hate for that to happen as I would have no idea how to unlock it again.

Thanks very much for your time. I am pretty clueless on this stuff.
    06-30-2009 03:53 PM
    I just went through this whole process, i was using a Dash on T-Mobile and everything was ok but i always wanted an iphone. So 1 day i thought hmmm i'll buy an unlocked 2g iphone off of E-Bay and see how it goes, after some extensive reading on the forums and checking on E-bay i finally got one. It was a very nice condition 2g for $200 (you don't need a 3g on t-Mobile because it is on a diff frequency), it was already set up with Cydia, a new program called Icy and Winterboard to install all the programs. (this may all sound confusing but you will get the hang of it), To answer your questions...#1 UL and JB in my opinion does not affect the operation at all. And yes you will see a big difference in the flexability and the many more apps (free) you can put on it.

#2 Once you get your Itunes set up correctly (uncheck updates etc.etc.) you will not have a problem.
    Don't be afraid to dive in and try, my SIM went right in without any problems, just had to set up the internet with the right address and that was done. I have the $24.95 unlimited data and 400 text bundle so it all works great. I'm sure the members of this forum will help you with any other technical details, good luck!

KG
    06-30-2009 05:10 PM
    Keep in mind that since you can't use the iPhone's 3G on t-mobile, you'll be stuck using Edge, which is about 1/12th the speed.

Using the SpeedTest app, I get 143 Kb/s on Edge and 1765Kb/s on 3G. So be prepared for slow data transfers.
    06-30-2009 10:57 PM
    speed depends on where you live. my edge speeds are close to my wifes 3g att phone.
    07-01-2009 04:11 AM
    My Edge speeds are also pretty good, you could live with it, don't let that alone scare you away.
    07-01-2009 01:52 PM
    Thanks very much for all of your replies.

Looks like I am going to bite the bullet tonight and pick up a 2G (hardly ever use GPS, and since I am on T-Mobile, wont have 3G anyway) iPhone 8GB.

It is already jailbroken and unlocked on 2.2.1. I assume this means that I can just pop in the sim card to get it working and then manually synce music, movies, apps, etc at home?

After I work up a little nerve, I will probably attempt the 3.0 upgrade :-)
    07-01-2009 05:42 PM
    Jailbreaking and unlock is very easy redsn0w does it all for you all you have to I hold some buttons down and they is only 2 buttons on iPhone so it is not hard. I would check out the iPhone blog how to.
    07-01-2009 06:46 PM
    good Luck tony..once you get everything dialed in you will be pleased, just take your time and find a nice 2g phone!

KG
    07-01-2009 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD