3.0 jailbreak issues

archaic44

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys, I updated to the 3.0 right away and I've been trying to rejailbreak my iphone 3g since.

(i run windows)

I've followed countless how-to guides all pretty much saying the same thing and I've previously jailbroken my phone successfully, but this time it's giving me some trouble. my problem is that after it is all finished the guides say that it should be about 5 minutes and it reboots all finished but my phone just sits there with the screen on but its black. I've let it sit for over an hour during one attempt but nothing happens. any ideas?

Last edited:

EmEuS

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I am not sure whats up with the 3.0 OS and JB'ing. My issue was different though. I jailbroke fine but everytime I would open Cydia the screen would just flash repeatedly and then reboot. I just set it back to normal state vs risking bricking my iPhone.

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I've successfully jailbroken my 3g running 3.0. Try restoring as a new phone (with no apps or music) before the jailbreak attempt. Then you can resync apps and music after the (hopefully successful) jailbreak.

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Scott above. That's essentially what I did. First I did a backup of my 3G before the jailbreak, which isn't really an option for you. Then I went into the settings menu and did a Reset to erase all applications and data (this process takes about two hours). Then I did a second backup. Once I did that, I rant Redsn0w and jailbroke. The first time I jailbroke, I also had problems with Cydia, but I had checked to install both Cydia and ICY. Since I was having problems, I restored back to my second restore after resetting my system. The second time I attempted the jailbreak, I chose only to install Cydia, and after that I had no problems at all. You can always install ICY later.

Once you've gotten a fresh phone jailbroken, you can then sync all your contact, music, movies, pictures, apps, etc.

I think that's one thing that people should add to their jailbreak guides. Jailbreaks always seem to work best on a fresh phone with nothing else installed.

archaic44

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I'll try restoring my phone again before i attempt a jb.
I restored once but nothing new happened and of course I forgot to sync my contacts so i had to reenter them by hand :( But that's fixed now.
Time to go to work for now.

EmEuS

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I've successfully jailbroken my 3g running 3.0. Try restoring as a new phone (with no apps or music) before the jailbreak attempt. Then you can resync apps and music after the (hopefully successful) jailbreak.

Obviously this was my first shot at remediating the problem. Dont get me wrong i am a HUGE fan of JBing and wish I could get it right on my phone. But the truth of the matter is not everyone has success JBing. Risking looking stupid at the Apple store...Id rathar have a 'regular' iPhone. IMO

ScottUrman

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I'll try restoring my phone again before i attempt a jb.
I restored once but nothing new happened and of course I forgot to sync my contacts so i had to reenter them by hand :( But that's fixed now.
Time to go to work for now.

I sync with Google contacts (using Nuevasync) so I don't have to worry about stuff like that. :p

archaic44

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok so I've completely restored my iphone 3g this time and without syncing or anything I attempted to jailbreak it again. Just as before I've waited at the black screen at the end for over an hour and nothing happened. when I restarted the phone it had nothing new on it.

Edit: maybe I'll try jailbreaking it from a different computer, I've got an old one still running windows xp.

Jedi

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
On Vista, run Redsn0w using XP compatibility mode and with administrator rights. I had the same problem, doing this fixed it for me.

archaic44

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
Well my xp computer seems to be ancient and doesn't even recognize my phone. im pretty sure my problem is that redsn0w doesn't install anything onto my phone after it's in DFU. redsn0w just shoots right to finished with the Done button when my phone should be going to the green arrow / harddrive screen. (which is when it just sits at the black screen)

Edit: just saw the post Jedi and i'll give that a try now, thanks for the help either way :)

wcihlu

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
im having issues with my 3.0 jailbreak. i am using vista and i used redsn0w to jb. so i had a successful jailbreak.. everything installed, my iphone rebooted but i cannot sync any ipa.. i used quickpwn for my previous jbs and i kno u had to install a free app from itunes first than u can sync. is there anything i need to do after da jailbreaking is successful?

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I just had my phone re-boot itself during the middle of a Cydia app update, and now everytime I try to open Cydia it just crashes. :confused:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2