Is there some way to tell if it was successful?

I don't have a sim card for another carrier. I do have some old AT&T sim cards from previous phones.

I tried putting one of those in. When I went into settings, I saw a button now for "carrier". However, this button did not appear again (even if I take the card out and put it in again).

Also, if I go into general, then about, I can click on "network", but I get a message saying the sim card is not provisioned.

Does this mean it is unlocked? Is there any way to tell if you don't have access to a different carrier sim card?
    06-23-2009 02:59 PM
    I would like to know the answer to this too. Don't want to sell my old 3G as "unlocked" unless it really is.
    06-23-2009 03:25 PM
    Okat, I entered experiment mode. Here is what happened.

I have the iPhone 3GS, and the iPhone 3G (potentially unlocked). I have two sim cards, one of which came with each of the iPhone (and in theory only one of which should currently work - the one from the iPhone 3GS).

In my iPhone 3GS, the normal sim card works as it should. If I put the "old" sim card in, I get a message saying there is no service, and the sim card is not provisioned.

If I put my current sim card in the theoretically unlocked iPhone 3G, I get a message saying "different sim detected, please connect to iTunes". If I put the old sim card in, I get a no service message.

Can that information be used at all to determine if my phone is unlocked. I am in the same situation as Dooks - I want to advertise it as unlocked, but only if it really is.

Chris
    06-23-2009 06:00 PM
    I guess I can go buy a $20 go phone from Tmobile or something.

I have a sinking feeling it isn't unlocked.

Chris
    Last edited by cjvitek; 06-23-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    06-23-2009 06:00 PM
    I walked into my local T-Mobile shop when they weren't busy and they were helpful and friendly and gave me one of their unassigned SIMs and configured it for their network - wap.voicestream.net (I think) and it shows T-Mobile as the carrier. I don't think they care. Any unlocked iPhone is more potential customers for them.
    06-23-2009 06:01 PM
    If you installed ultrasn0w, it's unlocked. I just sold my 3G today as unlocked... guy popped his t-mobile sim in there and it worked fine.
    06-24-2009 12:56 AM
    Well, not quite true. I had ultrasn0w listed as installed, but when I put the t-mobile sim card is (I just bought a $20 pay as you go phone) is came back as not compatible when I connected to iTunes.
    06-24-2009 10:12 AM
    Well, I re-jailbroke it, but did NOT reinstall ultrasn0w, and now I see the t-mobile logo on the iPhone. So it is jailbroken and unlocked.

Chris
    06-24-2009 10:28 AM
    i have an iphone 3g running 2.2.1 with firmware 02.30.03 already unlocked i want to unlock it to use with tmobile im using the turbo sim, can someone give me a link to use ultrasn0w or a how to guide so i dont have to use the turbo sim because the service goes in and out with the sim. thanks
    06-24-2009 10:40 AM
    Read the front page of the website. There are instructions and links there.
    06-24-2009 11:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD